Paul McGinn

MenstrieSaint

19 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Remind me when did Paul McGinn morph into Andy Robertson. I must have been watching a different player. Steady yes but not irreplaceable.

Get this quite a lot, You’d think Cooke was on par with lewandowski the way some supporters have been going on the past few months. 😂

Aye the typical club arse lickers can see no problem losing one of our best players in January, despite the club saying this is the very thing they don't want to do for Hladky!

I am sure if McGinn would be a bit peeved at not getting an extra couple of hundred quid a week if he wasnt flogged to Hibs.

Then Hladky would be f**kin livid to lose out on ten of thousands sign on and wages to move to a big club?

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Steady yes but not irreplaceable.

Not irreplaceable no, but certainly not ideal in a battle to avoid the playoffs.

Why are we "encouraging" (as per Jack Ross) teams to bid for one of our most important players... despite stating we will hold onto Hladky for 6 months and let him go for free as he is worth more.

You have to feel Goodwin doesn't rate a number of his XI or subs very highly given this, players not getting game time at various periods throughout the year (Durmus, Morias, McAllister, McGinn, Djorkaeff, etc), the Mullen PFA situation and his utter reluctance to use his subs.

ETA - Lord Pityme covered the Hladky point above

Edited by W6Saint

12 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Aye the typical club arse lickers can see no problem losing one of our best players in January, despite the club saying this is the very thing they don't want to do for Hladky!

I am sure if McGinn would be a bit peeved at not getting an extra couple of hundred quid a week if he wasnt flogged to Hibs.

Then Hladky would be f**kin livid to lose out on ten of thousands sign on and wages to move to a big club?

It's bloody odd. No question about it.

28 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

Not irreplaceable no, but certainly not ideal in a battle to avoid the playoffs.

Why are we "encouraging" (as per Jack Ross) teams to bid for one of our most important players... despite stating we will hold onto Hladky for 6 months and let him go for free as he is worth more.

You have to feel Goodwin doesn't rate a number of his XI or subs very highly given this, players not getting game time at various periods throughout the year (Durmus, Morias, McAllister, McGinn, Djorkaeff, etc), the Mullen PFA situation and his utter reluctance to use his subs.

ETA - Lord Pityme covered the Hladky point above

What is the Mullen PFA situation?

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

What is the Mullen PFA situation?

His name is/was on a list of players available for transfer or looking for clubs on the PFA website.

I wonder if Ross means he found the talks about McGinn encouraging rather than being encouraged to sign him (which is the sort of thing I'd expect from the old board). Either that or we have a great replacement lined up or other potential signings coming in if we can free up some cash.

If not it's a bit odd. 

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

I imagine that it would be a lot easier and cheaper to replace P McGinn than Hladky with a similar quality player.

I think Hladky himself said that he was expecting to be here for the season.

Indeed.

Comparing McGinn with Hladky is f**king ridiculous, or more likely shit stirring.

6 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

If we are happy rejecting I would guess substantially more cash to let Hladky go in this window than McGinn.. then why is it even a question?
I thought we needed our better players?
Or are they all free to go to whatever team has z few injuries?

Thought fee was suggested.  I wasn't thinking a freeby.

16 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Indeed.

Comparing McGinn with Hladky is f**king ridiculous, or more likely shit stirring.

No need for toys out the pram. This is a forum, for opinions.

Hladky is by far and away our biggest asset - no question, he is however a goalkeeper... in my opinion, goalkeepers have a slightly lesser influence on a game of football due to the nature of it, particularly in Scotland. Having said that, I wasn't comparing them as players - simply that they are important players in different positions both running their contracts down.
To me McGinn is one of our (possibly third or 4th) most influential outfield player. He won multiple POTY's last year and would've probably been in amongst the running this year - this is despite playing 4 different positions over the last 18 months.

Ryan Flynn is another important player but he isn't worth near as much as Hladky. However, he is integral to the team. His contract expires in 6 months too, should we let him go for a small 5 figure sum?

21 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

No need for toys out the pram. This is a forum, for opinions.

Hladky is by far and away our biggest asset - no question, he is however a goalkeeper... in my opinion, goalkeepers have a slightly lesser influence on a game of football due to the nature of it, particularly in Scotland. Having said that, I wasn't comparing them as players - simply that they are important players in different positions both running their contracts down.
To me McGinn is one of our (possibly third or 4th) most influential outfield player. He won multiple POTY's last year and would've probably been in amongst the running this year - this is despite playing 4 different positions over the last 18 months.

Ryan Flynn is another important player but he isn't worth near as much as Hladky. However, he is integral to the team. His contract expires in 6 months too, should we let him go for a small 5 figure sum?

Haven't thrown any toys out of the pram. Just voicing my opinion.

Comparing McGinn with Hladky is ridiculous. End of IMO.

We can replace any player in our team with one of similar quality, bar Hladky.

There's a reason why there's a significant amount of interest in Hladky, from big clubs.

As useful as McGinn and Flynn are, I'm sure the manager would insist that any fee would be enough to replace them.

Fortunately for our club, our manager would appear to share my opinion.

FWIW, I think McGinn is a useful player to have, but is replaceable. I wouldn't be disappointed if he stayed.

Edited by FTOF

2 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Haven't thrown any toys out of the pram. Just voicing my opinion.

Comparing McGinn with Hladky is ridiculous. End of IMO.

We can replace any player in our team with one of similar quality, bar Hladky.

There's a reason why there's a significant amount of interest in Hladky, from big clubs.

As useful as McGinn and Flynn are, I'm sure the manager would insist that any fee would be enough to replace them.

Fortunately for our club, our manager would appear to share my opinion.

It really isn't as simple as you are insisting. One player does not make a team, or are you Alan Stubbs?

Hladky barely had anything to do yesterday and we still gained a point... how can that be when the other players are simply making up the numbers? :shockaroony

It would be laughable if it wasn't so depressing that their are people who think the club cashing in for not a lot of money on one of our better players at such a critical time, against our next opponent and competitor, is a good thing, if the club say it is.
Bottom line us McGinn is under contract and he doesn't have the right to go anywhere till June.

If he goes, what chance the likes of Hladky might think its time to jump ship too, whilst their stock is still high?