St Mirren v Hamilton, 5th Feb 2020

faraway saint

10 hours ago, elvis said:

Definitely a two horse race to finish bottom between us and Accies and on tonight's performance we will end up automatically relegated Accies way better than us. 

Because the ref. made them look better.  Far better than us, when it comes to hacking down players. Dirty b*stards.

Edited by pod

10 hours ago, Big Yards said:

Yes I do but after the Aberdeen game I had decided I wasnt going to waste any more money Then we signed some new strikers and expected them to be thrown straight into the team tonight. Instead we got the usual garbage but in an even less effective team line up and tactics

Good job we don't all follow your philosophy. It wouldn't be point we would be worrying about.

Like everyone else I was bemused by the team selection last night - was just too despondent to comment until this morning.

I can't understand the formation deployed when we are at home against a relegation rival - four strikers on the bench but the substitutions were too little too late.

A real chance for a feelgood victory with a new strikeforce on the park was missed  - are both of them carrying knocks?

An opportunity squandered.

Guest TPAFKATS
Miller deliberately catching the ball in two hands whilst trying to award himself a free kick, thus preventing his opponent from playing the ball, is a nailed on yellow. But not in this game, even though it was penalised by a free kick for hand ball.
This is his first season refereeing top flight games. I think tonight was his 8th game.
Was he the same guy we had at home, midweek to hibs or was that another madden clone?

6 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
8 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:
Miller deliberately catching the ball in two hands whilst trying to award himself a free kick, thus preventing his opponent from playing the ball, is a nailed on yellow. But not in this game, even though it was penalised by a free kick for hand ball.
This is his first season refereeing top flight games. I think tonight was his 8th game.

Was he the same guy we had at home, midweek to hibs or was that another madden clone?

It was Newlands.  Another guy intent on making a name for himself for all the wrong reasons. 

I don't know how anyone can say the ref didn't have any impact on the game and was the same for both teams when Hamilton should have been down to 9 men, scored pretty much straight from the incident where their goalkeeper carried the ball three yards outside his box, and we spent the last minute of the game defending instead of attacking because the ref refused to give a blatant foul because he was in a huff.

1 hour ago, norman said:

I don't know how anyone can say the ref didn't have any impact on the game and was the same for both teams when Hamilton should have been down to 9 men, scored pretty much straight from the incident where their goalkeeper carried the ball three yards outside his box, and we spent the last minute of the game defending instead of attacking because the ref refused to give a blatant foul because he was in a huff.

Andreu barged the keeper out of the box it should've been a foul to them but in general yeah the ref was dreadful. 

Went to the game expecting to see the new players. Surprised to see us start with pretty much the same team as last Saturday, but I suppose JG wanted to give them another chance after a decent result. But Morias up front on his own against a big defence seemed unlikely to work, though he tried hard.

Very poor first half from practically everyone, including Foley and MacPherson, who are normally pretty reliable. Definite improvement in the second half although Foley was an exception to that. Thought he was really off form. Despite the improvement, still struggled to threaten their goal and needed a fantastic free kick from Ilkay to get a point. Got out of jail when Miller missed the penalty. Felt sorry for Hodson. He'd had a decent half up till that point. Jakubiak looked the part when he came on but needs more time on the pitch to prove himself.

Ref's performance was very poor, but we can't blame him for the result.

Surely JG must use the new players on Saturday if they're fit!

Don't think I have seen so many Saints fans in W1 ranting with rage at the ref I my whole 54 years of watching the Saints   :argue:

Wasn't help by the elbow on Famewo who needed 3 mins of treatment. 

Add the 3 mins that Flynn also needed makes a mockery of the 6 mins added time. 

There was also 1 min lost when a Accies player got his baws battered by the ball  :lol:

I think the ref knew he had f up and just wanted to get the game finish so he could get off the pitch.

Only thing as bad as the ref was us

A missed chance to move further away from the bottom, but a reminder to us we are not as good as we sometime think we are. 

48 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Don't think I have seen so many Saints fans in W1 ranting with rage at the ref I my whole 54 years of watching the Saints   :argue:

Wasn't help by the elbow on Famewo who needed 3 mins of treatment. 

Add the 3 mins that Flynn also needed makes a mockery of the 6 mins added time. 

There was also 1 min lost when a Accies player got his baws battered by the ball  :lol:

I think the ref knew he had f up and just wanted to get the game finish so he could get off the pitch.

Only thing as bad as the ref was us

A missed chance to move further away from the bottom, but a reminder to us we are not as good as we sometime think we are. 

You forgot that Easton spent a couple of minutes on his arse getting treatment too. 6 minutes was an effin joke.

16 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

That may have been one of the worst refereeing performances I’ve ever seen, but make no mistake, the blame for us not winning that game tonight lies firmly at Jim Goodwin s door with that f**kin mind boggling formation and team selection. 
we basically conceded the first and though we were better in the second half, we didn’t exactly go hell for leather either. 
I mean what in the name of f**k was going thru Goodwin’s mind when he made that selection. 
Oh and by the way, I don’t get the love for Hodson at all. I thought he was decidedly average the last time he was with us and I saw nothing tonight to make me think otherwise. Actually he did make me think otherwise. I thought he was shite as opposed to average. 

The guy is just in the door and has not been playing regularly and needs to get match fit and used to his many new teammates.

And by the way - he was outstanding in the play-offs which kept us in this league !

16 hours ago, Wilbur said:

First half must have been Cammy McPherson's worst 45 minutes ever. He lost every 50:50 challenge and was responsible for losing the ball for Templton's goal. Beats me why he wasn't the midfielder binned at half time.

He did better in the second half, must have got a rocket from Goodwin.

It was not only Cammy who was culpable for that goal - Water's attempted to beat Ogkmpoe in the air and clearly failed - crazy he was the one, but he is useless against a big guy in the air....   and Foley was completely ineffective at trying to mark/ prevent Templeton from scoring.

For me Andreu is a passenger far too often and when he does get chances they don't hit the target very often (previous match was an exception)

McCarthy was rubbish tonight and I agree Cammy was poor in the first half.

Morias is no use as a target man EVER:  and even though many fans hate Obika, he actually played quite well when he came on - wrong game to drop him in, if Morias  was replacing him as a target man - Tactically whatever we expected did not work !.

Jakubiak looks as if he will bring something positive to our side, but our midfield looked weak defensively most of the night...

Totally unbalanced bench is crazy at this level... 

15 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Our next two league games away to Livingston and Motherwell.

Best home records outwith old firm.

Livingston most goals scored outwith old firm.

Livingston 5 home wins in a row.

Livingston and Motherwell aggregate score v Saints so far 10-4.

If we are playing 1 tiny striker high balls at home to Hamilton think Craig Levein's 6-4-0 in Prague might be getting used.

Can't see anything other than 2 heavy defeats to be honest.

I think the JG mindset of trying not to get beat and his tactics did not help tonight.

Being St. Mirren playing against these two better sides might take some pressure off of us. Aye we could get trounced by either or both, but I'd settle for 1 cheeky win from these two matches rather than two draws !