St Mirren v Hamilton, 5th Feb 2020

faraway saint

15 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Am I missing something? The bookies odds follow the money placed by punters. The bookies have short odds on Saints beating Hamilton not because they think Sants will win but because that is what punters have bet on. If everyone bet on Hamilton those odds would shorten immediately and Hamilton would be "favourites".

If someone wants to correct me I'm all ears. I'm not a gambling person.

Ok stupid, the odds are NOT set by the money placed. The bookies have short odds on St Mirren BECAUSE they think they will win, not because of money being placed. They decide these odds on form, something you've always had a problem with. As I said, from the initial odds there can be slight fluctuations due to money being placed. 

Awaiting your apology or an attempt to slither around it like Ricky, you choose.

18 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Ok stupid, the odds are NOT set by the money placed. The bookies have short odds on St Mirren BECAUSE they think they will win, not because of money being placed. They decide these odds on form, something you've always had a problem with. As I said, from the initial odds there can be slight fluctuations due to money being placed. 

Awaiting your apology or an attempt to slither around it like Ricky, you choose.

It's simple. Like many who bet. Form guides the process and enables the bookmaker to propose odds on various outcomes (adjusted in their favour to provide a return), The betting public respond by placing bets. Bookmakers then respond if there appears to be a spike of heavy betting on a particular outcome by adjusting these odds (in their favour). I think Oaky is questioning how, what mathematical model, they might use for this. 

2 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

If these stats are correct then Hamilton have had a marginally better run over the last 6 games and have a slightly better record than Saints when they come calling. 

https://thefishy.co.uk/head2head.php?team1=St Mirren&team2=Hamilton

You could argue that they've had 2 good results in 10, whereas we've had 6 favourable results ( not included either teams cup results).

7 minutes ago, munoz said:

You could argue that they've had 2 good results in 10, whereas we've had 6 favourable results ( not included either teams cup results).

As you say... Each could make a case for themselves. Why we are both where we are I guess. Big match for both. That is for sure. 22 men still on the pitch by the end? 

58 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Prove it. If you are right, the obvious way to win is to always place small amounts of money on the favourite. You would statistically win more often than not.

By jove, I think you've cracked the code!

Edited by oaksoft

Tomorrow could be a big night for us if we beat Accies. If St. Johnstone and Ross County both lose, we will jump two places to eighth. County are on a poor run, so Livvie winning in Dingwall is a definite possibility, I'd say. Dons v St Johnstone is more difficult to predict as the Perth Saints seem to be finding some form and Aberdeen are below their best, despite getting a draw at Ibrox at the weekend.

In addition, we really need the three points to keep ahead of Hearts who seem to be improving under Stendel and look likely to get some points at Tynecastle against a struggling Killie.

But Buddies should be confident given Saturday's result plus the addition of our new players. Let's get McGrath, Jakubiak and Chabbi on the pitch and see what they can do.

So, as always...….COYS!!

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

As a St. Mirren fan I've seen too many of these type of headlines over the years. Gives me the fear.
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/jamie-mcgrath-insists-st-mirren-21425934

This is a funny match, they, like most teams in the lower half of the league, can have their moments and, I watched the first half against Celtic and they were coping pretty well.

Saying that we HAVE to look at this as a game we can get 3 points, if we don;t have that in mind we're fcuked.

The fear will be there till we score the first goal.....................and even then won't ease till we get a 2nd.

1 hour ago, pondsman said:

Tomorrow could be a big night for us if we beat Accies. If St. Johnstone and Ross County both lose, we will jump two places to eighth. County are on a poor run, so Livvie winning in Dingwall is a definite possibility, I'd say. Dons v St Johnstone is more difficult to predict as the Perth Saints seem to be finding some form and Aberdeen are below their best, despite getting a draw at Ibrox at the weekend.

In addition, we really need the three points to keep ahead of Hearts who seem to be improving under Stendel and look likely to get some points at Tynecastle against a struggling Killie.

But Buddies should be confident given Saturday's result plus the addition of our new players. Let's get McGrath, Jakubiak and Chabbi on the pitch and see what they can do.

So, as always...….COYS!!

^^^ in bundles...   Hope Hearts and Killie is a draw and wee win to gain 2 points on them both.

Aberdeen and Livi to win would be great too, though even if RC take a point it would still be a good night if we win...

Just hope the Don's don't get beat . . . 

3 hours ago, hamlet said:

Can only hope the Referee clamps down on their time wasting with an early booking for their keeper and not

wait till the 85th minute. The "best" team in the league for using all the tricks in the book to cheat.

An early goal or two or three would sort it out.

I seldom have a go at opposition teams but in the case of time wasting then Hamilton Accies do deserve a mention.