Interesting article in the National about Motherwell

W6er

https://www.thenational.scot/sport/18210421.stephen-robinson-restoring-pride-motherwell/

If this were England, the football club would be a symbol of the town. Motherwell folk would support their local team, a way of showing the rest of the world a genuine pride in where they come from.

Alas, Motherwell FC play in Scotland, just outside of Glasgow, which means that most people from in and around the town follow one of the team big teams in Glasgow. I’m one, as are most of my family. Only from our lot one calls himself a Motherwell fan.

After the 1991 Scottish Cup win, the average home crowd at Fir Park went up by 500. That was it. The support just isn’t there.

I despise the arsecheeks.

1 hour ago, W6er said:

It is interesting. The OF are major brands, whether we like it or not. Clubs, particularly, but not only, those in the West of Scotland have to find their own way forward. To start with.. Accept where things are.. Adapt to the reality.. Keep building community ties.. Compete for a place in the top 7 or 8 with purple patches where we slip into the top six, bearing in mind that there are the two big Edinburgh Clubs, Aberdeen and a Dundee Club. To be the best of the rest for now is a reasonable ambition. PS. We have built our crowds steadily over the last 4 or 5 years. Breaking into the top six, we're we to do it, would possibly put us above the Well in attendances. It's not all gloom and doom but it is, imo, about the best reality. 

The ideal solution would be for all 40 Diddy Clubs to get together and boot VILE CELTIC and VILE SEVCO TAE FECK. 

And the rest of us thrive and live happily ever after, enjoying THE BEAUTIFUL GAME. 

12 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

It is interesting. The OF are major brands, whether we like it or not. Clubs, particularly, but not only, those in the West of Scotland have to find their own way forward. To start with.. Accept where things are.. Adapt to the reality.. Keep building community ties.. Compete for a place in the top 7 or 8 with purple patches where we slip into the top six, bearing in mind that there are the two big Edinburgh Clubs, Aberdeen and a Dundee Club. To be the best of the rest for now is a reasonable ambition. PS. We have built our crowds steadily over the last 4 or 5 years. Breaking into the top six, we're we to do it, would possibly put us above the Well in attendances. It's not all gloom and doom but it is, imo, about the best reality. 

I agree with this. 

The six clubs you have mentioned are a cut above the rest in Scotland, in terms of their support. I reckon Dundee Utd are averaging more than most SPL clubs playing in the second tier without Old Firm crowds - though I acknowledge people like to see their side win and so that's drawing in the crowds at the moment, too.

Motherwell, ourselves, Falkirk, Dundee, Partick Thistle and Kilmarnock all have a similar support, and with the exception of Dundee, the proximity to the arsecheeks will always mean we struggle to attract big crowds. In fact I'm sure I recall reading how Kilmarnock's average crowd was only around 7,000 when they won the league in the 1960s. As you say, we can do community work and try to attract new fans, but we need to accept that realistically with our resources it really is a case of trying to be the best of the rest.

Having said all that, Motherwell and Kilmarnock have punched above their weight for a good while. Conversely Falkirk and Partick have both underachieved, IMHO.

28 minutes ago, shull said:

We don't have to accept anything. 

We have the power 

FECKING USE IT 

1985 was the last time. 

There won't be a next time if we just accept. 

FORFUXSAKE 

In a perfect world you might be right Shull. Meanwhile back in the real world... 

The cheeks being so far ahead is a post 1996 thing.

They've obviously always had far more success than everyone else, but they weren't light years ahead on points, like they have been in the modern era.

In the first 100 seasons they only finished as the top two in the league 30 times.

Latterly, they did it 16 times out of 17 until one of them went bust.

They've also never seen average crowds anywhere near as high as they get in the modern era.

3 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

The cheeks being so far ahead is a post 1996 thing.

They've obviously always had far more success than everyone else, but they weren't light years ahead on points, like they have been in the modern era.

In the first 100 seasons they only finished as the top two in the league 30 times.

Latterly, they did it 16 times out of 17 until one of them went bust.

They've also never seen average crowds anywhere near as high as they get in the modern era.

You are right Sanchez

Just now, faraway saint said:

Unbelievable contribution as usual. 

Are there no old fold clubs in Stirling? 

Again your ability to read and comprehend is severely lacking. Nothing new there. See you at the match tonight. I know you wouldn't want to miss this one. 

6 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Again your ability to read and comprehend is severely lacking. Nothing new there. See you at the match tonight. I know you wouldn't want to miss this one. 

What's to read or comprehend, you're an old troll who pollutes the forum with posts which add the square root of feck all. 

I agree, my thought's exactly, etc etc, what an embarrassment. :1eye

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

What's to read or comprehend, you're an old troll who pollutes the forum with posts which add the square root of feck all. 

I agree, my thought's exactly, etc etc, what an embarrassment. :1eye

See you at the game. You will be there, won't you? 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TPAFKATS
I agree with this. 
The six clubs you have mentioned are a cut above the rest in Scotland, in terms of their support. I reckon Dundee Utd are averaging more than most SPL clubs playing in the second tier without Old Firm crowds - though I acknowledge people like to see their side win and so that's drawing in the crowds at the moment, too.
Motherwell, ourselves, Falkirk, Dundee, Partick Thistle and Kilmarnock all have a similar support, and with the exception of Dundee, the proximity to the arsecheeks will always mean we struggle to attract big crowds. In fact I'm sure I recall reading how Kilmarnock's average crowd was only around 7,000 when they won the league in the 1960s. As you say, we can do community work and try to attract new fans, but we need to accept that realistically with our resources it really is a case of trying to be the best of the rest.
Having said all that, Motherwell and Kilmarnock have punched above their weight for a good while. Conversely Falkirk and Partick have both underachieved, IMHO.
Dundee United support went awol when we were winning championship 2 seasons ago.

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:
On 2/5/2020 at 3:38 PM, W6er said:
I agree with this. 

Dundee United support went awol when we were winning championship 2 seasons ago.

Averaging almost 10,000 this season.

What did we average when we won the Championship a few years ago? 

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:
On 2/5/2020 at 3:38 PM, W6er said:
I agree with this. 

15 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Averaging almost 10,000 this season.

What did we average when we won the Championship a few years ago? 

1321670254_Championshipatt17-18.thumb.jpg.e2eae027dc6e759adca32adf6eaf1235.jpg

Source: https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/scottish-championship/attendances

Guest TPAFKATS
Maybe we don't have as many glory hunters (or gloryhole hunters default_whistling.gif ) in our support as they do?

To be honest, our support tends to stay quite steady, whatever kind of season we have. It's the away supports which make the most difference to whether our average attendance goes up or down.
Our away support also boosted attendances that season. United not so much apart from the Christmas game against us when they brought a good crowd. Traditionally both Dundee teams travelling support has been poor.
This season their support has "returned", average will be bumped up a bit by having the 2 derby games.

Just now, TPAFKATS said:

Our away support also boosted attendances that season. United not so much apart from the Christmas game against us when they brought a good crowd. Traditionally both Dundee teams travelling support has been poor.
This season their support has "returned", average will be bumped up a bit by having the 2 derby games.

Indeed, about 14,000 for the ding dong Dundee derby.