Interesting article in the National about Motherwell

W6er

40 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Maybe we don't have as many glory hunters (or gloryhole hunters :whistle ) in our support as they do?

To be honest, our support tends to stay quite steady, whatever kind of season we have. It's the away supports which make the most difference to whether our average attendance goes up or down.

Which backs up my view is there's very little expectation, for the sane amongst us, that our support can grow in any great numbers. 

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Which backs up my view is there's very little expectation, for the sane amongst us, that our support can grow in any great numbers. 

You have been saying this for a number of years during which our average attendances have risen from 3.000 to 5,500. Statistically, this is a fantastic growth approaching 90%,The fact is that our crowds are growing. Of course, more armchair fans coming out to games would add to those numbers. 

Edited by St.Ricky

2 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

You have been saying for a number of years during which our average attendances have risen from 3.000 to 5,500. Fact is that our crowds are growing. Of course, more armchair fans coming out to games would add to those numbers. 

Which part, and I know this will hurt your head, are you not understanding of Slarti's post...................take your time, don't want you to burst a blood vessel. 

You are a repetitive auld walloper, got to be the most tedious poster on the forum. 

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

It's the away supports which make the most difference to whether our average attendance goes up or down.

7 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Which part, and I know this will hurt your head, are you not understanding of Slarti's post...................take your time, don't want you to burst a blood vessel. 

You are a repetitive auld walloper, got to be the most tedious poster on the forum. 

Hi F Man. Is the arithmetic too difficult for you? Let me try again 

You have been saying that crowds won't grow substantially for years and years along with a few others. 

This flies in the face of the evidence. Growth from 3000 to 5,500. An increase of 2,500. That is 83%. Lots of clubs would love to have that... Livvi and Hamilton for a start. 

Clearly away fans play their part but our core support turning up is the key. This has grown from around 2,500 to 4,300. Over 60%

What is it that has you argue with the facts? Do you not understand the concept or does it just not fit with your agenda. 

More armchair fans have already come back. Still wouldn't hurt for more to do the same.

Are you up for it F Man? 

Edited by St.Ricky

10 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:
7 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Maybe over decades it could grow a lot, if we have regular success, but it's highly unlikely over a short period. Gradual sustained growth is the best way anyway, not point in having gloryhunters that disappear again soon enough.

I disagree, barring Rangers and Celtic leaving Scottish football.

We will always suffer, as many teams do, with people "choosing" to follow, ha ha, teams that win most games.

So, the chances of us having regular success is more than unlikely, hence we are where we are, and always will be.

Nothing wrong with that, just having the odd success, unearthing a gem, having a decent manager, will keep the base support happy. 

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I disagree, barring Rangers and Celtic leaving Scottish football.

We will always suffer, as many teams do, with people "choosing" to follow, ha ha, teams that win most games.

So, the chances of us having regular success is more than unlikely, hence we are where we are, and always will be.

Nothing wrong with that, just having the odd success, unearthing a gem, having a decent manager, will keep the base support happy. 

Study the facts. 

Jings. 

7 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

I did say "if".

As for your last paragraph - have you met St Mirren supporters? Happy?

Aye, and I explained why the "if" is unlikely to happen.

Lats bit, aye, schoolboy error, sowwy. 

PS The forum fool talking about adding another 25% onto the current home support. :lol:

I thought your post was stretching things. :wink:

Edited by faraway saint

The two most successful clubs in Scotland are on our doorstep. Great. As long as we share the same league we have some cracking crowds and games. Something to celebrate, not worry about. We have a wonderful opportunity to fill a niche market. A ground that holds 8,000. Just right. Our utilisation is already better than most of the clubs in the SPL outside Celtic, Rangets, Hibs and Hearts. The move towards community involvement is the right one. Back in the 1970's and 1980 's I frequently had both Celtic and Rangers fans attend Saint's matches if their team was away from home. TV has allowed armchair fans to overdose on football. Getting some of these bums back on seats to experience the live event is important too but attracting the young and the youths in the area is key going forward  

Edited by St.Ricky

15 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

The two most successful clubs in Scotland are on our doorstep. Great. As long as we share the same league we have some cracking crowds and games. Something to celebrate, not worry about. We have a wonderful opportunity to fill a niche market. A ground that holds 8,000. Just right. Our utilisation is already better than most of the clubs in the SPL outside Celtic, Rangets, Hibs and Hearts. The move towards community involvement is the right one. Back in the 1970's and 1980 's I frequently had both Celtic and Rangers fans attend Saint's matches if their team was away from home. TV has allowed armchair fans to overdose on football. Getting some of these bums back on seats to experience the live event is important too but attracting the young and the youths in the area is key going forward  

If Scotland’s most successful club and a new club are financed by attracting a bigoted, racist following to the detriment of the financial health of all other clubs in our wee nation, how can you see that as “great” and/or “something to celebrate”?

Scotland does not have a competitive football organisation.

all fans of the diddy teams are subsidising any successes the two poisoned parties may have.

How can that be a healthy arena into which you’d want to attract the “young and youths in the area”?  

Edited by antrin

58 minutes ago, antrin said:

If Scotland’s most successful club and a new club are financed by attracting a bigoted, racist following to the detriment of the financial health of all other clubs in our wee nation, how can you see that as “great” and/or “something to celebrate”?

Scotland does not have a competitive football organisation.

all fans of the diddy teams are subsidising any successes the two poisoned parties may have.

How can that be a healthy arena into which you’d want to attract the “young and youths in the area”?  

The past should be a guide to the future, not a straight jacket which confines us. I can't stress highly enough how much I deplore sectarianism and bigotry but I refuse to let it define me or my approach. Our perceived Anti Celtic and Anti Rangers outlook can't do too much to encourage fans of these clubs to come along to attractive fixtures if ours when their teams are away. This happened in the past. The same occurred in Dunfermline where I was brought up and in Dundee. Ayr and Renfrewshire where I lived. 

I pop along to watch Stirling, Alloa and Falkirk from time to time. Why not3

Edited by St.Ricky

37 minutes ago, antrin said:

Unsurprisingly, you are refusing to address the current dysfunction in Scottish football which is and will be directly the cause of all future Scottish Football remaining mostly subservient crap.

like your show of respect for dungvermin, by the way...

Lol. Yes. But if a mistype there. I liked it. Still like it. Go to an occasional non Saints game there. 

I don't think I am avoiding the issue. I am advocating a different approach to yours, I agree. 

45 minutes ago, antrin said:

Unsurprisingly, you are refusing to address the current dysfunction in Scottish football which is and will be directly the cause of all future Scottish Football remaining mostly subservient crap.

like your show of respect for dungvermin, by the way...

I wouldn't concern myself too much about his views.

To think he believes that, to swell our gates, the way forward is to beg for bigot scum to attend our games when they're at a loose end, while accepting their respective clubs are allowed to run roughshod over ALL the other clubs to the detriment of our game.

He spouts soundbites and thinks it makes him appear intelligent while, mostly, he parrots others or posts to say, I agree is when he's trolling Faraway.

3 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I wouldn't concern myself too much about his views.

To think he believes that, to swell our gates, the way forward is to beg for bigot scum to attend our games when they're at a loose end, while accepting their respective clubs are allowed to run roughshod over ALL the other clubs to the detriment of our game.

He spouts soundbites and thinks it makes him appear intelligent while, mostly, he parrots others or posts to say, I agree is when he's trolling Faraway.

Wrong on so many counts. 

I said that I frequently went to Saints matches6 with fans of the OF. 

I see no reason why SMFC or its fans should be the ones to errect barriers. We should be THE Paisley club for All people in the area. 

I condemn sectarianism and Bigotry and promote inclusiveness. 

17 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Just a shame that the SPFL and the SFA choose to ignore this disease in our game for fear of the two arse cheeks that rule the game in this country.

I continue to hope that both will take a lead from UEFA and see that strict liability is adopted here.