Livingston v St Mirren, Wed 12th Feb

faraway saint

Thought before tonight Kilmarnock and St Johnstone were safe already as bottom 4 can't win.

I posted on another thread that imo Ross County are already safe from 12th but not 11th.

Then it's down to 4 in the battle. 
5th 6th 7th and 8th all won tonight
its a BATTLE between the bottom 4
bring it on

Just now, Ronnie said:

Thought before tonight Kilmarnock and St Johnstone were safe already as bottom 4 can't win.

I posted on another thread that imo Ross County are already safe from 12th but not 11th.

I definitely felt both were safe but on the other hand, 2 games ago both were catchable from a points perspective and you want to be in amongst that crowd where everyone is dropping points to each other once bottom six games start.

Now neither of them realistically are going to be caught by us . So here we are being cut adrift.

3 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

You have to feel that if this was any manager other than Goodwin, serious questions would be getting asked.

I disagree. 10th is decent by our standards 😂

Still in contention for 9th which isn’t far off our best finish (8th) this millennium. Can’t really see what we’d gain by ousting Goody.

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

Their supporters don't play for them. 

Aye, but it's just been reported that Scottish clubs' biggest single source of income, by far, is from gate receipts. So we should be able to offer bigger wages, pay higher transfer fees, ceteris paribus.

3 minutes ago, W6er said:

Aye, but it's just been reported that Scottish clubs' biggest single source of income, by far, is from gate receipts. So we should be able to offer bigger wages, pay higher transfer fees, ceteris paribus.

Means nothing

Livi players play at top of their game most weeks

That's the trick

I disagree County are quite safe from 12th as like I said all 3 teams below them can't win all 3 would probably have to win more games in 12 than they have managed in 26 to all overtake County.

The next 2 matches bottom 3 are guaranteed to drop points who and how many who knows??? but that means County's position is even stronger no matter what their matches finish.

County might finish 11th but even that is doubtful right now.

12 games to go .....i think not
longgggggggggggg way to go

3 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

Means nothing

Livi players play at top of their game most weeks

That's the trick

Resources mean nothing?! Seriously? So the Old Firm's dominance of the Scottish game is nothing to do with them having more money than the rest, then?

13 minutes ago, W6er said:

What you say isn’t wrong, but it doesn’t always translate into results. For instance, based on what you say, Hearts should not be mixing it down the bottom with Accies,, County and ourselves. It’s easy enough having the money but it’s also about spending it on the right guys. Livi always have an idea of what they want to achieve when building a squad, and fair play, they recruit fantastically.

Edited by Cornwall_Saint

3 minutes ago, W6er said:

Resources mean nothing?! Seriously? So the Old Firm's dominance of the Scottish game is nothing to do with them having more money than the rest, then?

OBVIOUSLY resources are a major factor.

When you get away from the top 2 then it's down to good scouting and a manager that can get the best out of "average" players. 

4 minutes ago, W6er said:

Why mention the Old Firm it's Livi we are talking about.

Remember Livi have beaten Sellic this season

Livi get better value for their money that'sfor all to see

Running out of chances against the teams we realistically should be taking full points against at least every other game.
Next 3 matches to 4th of March
St Mirren - M/Well Away, Hearts and St Johnstone at home.

Hamilton - Hearts Away, Motherwell at Home, Rangers away.

Hearts - Hamilton at Home, St Mirren and Hibs Away.

Getting 3 points v Hearts is crucial or very least don't lose.

Just now, Cornwall_Saint said:

What you say isn’t wrong, but it doesn’t always translate into results. For instance, based on what you say, Hearts should not be mixing it down the bottom with Accies,, County and ourselves. It’s easy enough having the only but it’s also about spending it on the right guys. Livi always have an idea of what they want to achieve when building a squad, and fair play, they recruit fantastically.

Of course! I'm not suggesting that attendances and revenue is the only factor, as clearly that isn't the case. However there's obviously a correlation between attendances and success, and an obvious example of this is Rangers quick progression through the divisions. Were Albion Rovers to attract 50,000 paying supporters, I would imagine their financial clout would see them begin to achieve success on the field.

Next 3 matches to 4th of March
St Mirren - M/Well Away, Hearts and St Johnstone at home.

Hamilton - Hearts Away, Motherwell at Home, Rangers away.

Hearts - Hamilton at Home, St Mirren and Hibs Away.

Getting 3 points v Hearts is crucial or very least don't lose.
What are the odds on a Hearts mini revival? We did it, Accies did it, feck me even Dundee got a wee jump last season.
Our problem is if we cant win a game we then need three or four games to make up for it. And we are relying on Accies and Hearts to pick up less than us now in every game.
Beat Well it all looks better
Lose and either, or both of them get something its squeaky bum time, and the Hearts game becomes massive!

25 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Their supporters don't play for them. 

I think you are missing the point, if a club’s biggest source of income is gate receipts then why are Livingston outperforming St Mirren this season and last season? Is it down to the manager or better scouting and selection of players? 

18 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I disagree County are quite safe from 12th as like I said all 3 teams below them can't win all 3 would probably have to win more games in 12 than they have managed in 26 to all overtake County.

The next 2 matches bottom 3 are guaranteed to drop points who and how many who knows??? but that means County's position is even stronger no matter what their matches finish.

County might finish 11th but even that is doubtful right now.

i respectfully disagree

ross county dont play anyone in the bottom 4 till the 14th of March

chew on that a little

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

What are the odds on a Hearts mini revival? We did it, Accies did it, feck me even Dundee got a wee jump last season.
Our problem is if we cant win a game we then need three or four games to make up for it. And we are relying on Accies and Hearts to pick up less than us now in every game.
Beat Well it all looks better
Lose and either, or both of them get something its squeaky bum time, and the Hearts game becomes massive!

Hearts, and I'm surprised, haven't managed to maintain any kind of form. 

Since beating Rangers they have only managed 1 point from 3 games.

The bad news is they have played Celtic, we still have to play them.

That's 1 game probably yielding zero points for us, as good as a free hit for them. 

I've always worried we have both the OF to play late in the last games of this last full set of games.