Livingston v St Mirren, Wed 12th Feb

faraway saint

Clyde are a year younger than St. Mirren. Not sure when you get that they are newly established from. 

Clyde have suffered from the fact that they left their home in Rutherglen and became a wandering nomad who would groundshare out of town for years before ending up in Cumbernauld, nowhere near their original home or fanbase. 

Similar with Accies, when they left Hamilton they groundshared in several places and by time they returned to Hamilton, most of the local fanbase had gone elsewhere. They've never had massive crowds but were certainly bigger than the 1000 they struggle to muster up now, they've just never recaptured it. 

It would have been like our new ground hitting a snag, falling through and having to end up building a new ground somewhere like East Kilbride. Our fan base would be decimated. 

Clyde went downhill because most of their support came from the slum housing in Glasgow which was demolished and they were decanted to the outskirts.

Hamilton have always had extremely low crowds, long before they moved out of Hamilton.

They got crowds in the hundreds before they moved.

8 hours ago, W6Saint said:

No wins in 5 or 6. Everything ain't as rosy as is being made out in some quarters.

Stats are a wonderful thing eh? They can be made to suit just about any agenda.

How about this for a stat. Prior to last night, other than a single goal defeat to either side of the old firm, we were unbeaten in our last 11 games. 

Doesn’t that sound so much better than no wins in our last 5 or 6?

34 minutes ago, Hiram Abiff said:

Both Livi’s goals last night came from a long ball down the middle emoji106.png

Correct.Effective. It works well for them but they work incredibly hard, both on and off the ball. They are well organised and very physical and can also play a bit and get crosses into the box. Not bad at all. 

43 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Clyde are a year younger than St. Mirren. Not sure when you get that they are newly established from. 

Clyde have suffered from the fact that they left their home in Rutherglen and became a wandering nomad who would groundshare out of town for years before ending up in Cumbernauld, nowhere near their original home or fanbase. 

Similar with Accies, when they left Hamilton they groundshared in several places and by time they returned to Hamilton, most of the local fanbase had gone elsewhere. They've never had massive crowds but were certainly bigger than the 1000 they struggle to muster up now, they've just never recaptured it. 

It would have been like our new ground hitting a snag, falling through and having to end up building a new ground somewhere like East Kilbride. Our fan base would be decimated. 

Aye, granted 'Clyde' are an old club. However, they're a bit like a franchise in respect of the fact they relocated to Cumbernauld, a new town with which they have no ties. I mean had Livingston kept the name Meadowbank Thistle when they relocated, would that be the same club?

I do appreciate that Clyde have retained some of their old fan base, but that may also be true of Livingston/Meadowbank Thistle.

25 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Stats are a wonderful thing eh? They can be made to suit just about any agenda.

How about this for a stat. Prior to last night, other than a single goal defeat to either side of the old firm, we were unbeaten in our last 11 games. 

Doesn’t that sound so much better than no wins in our last 5 or 6?

This time last season

league26.jpg

I am struggling to understand how a club like ours seems to be unable to match Livingston. Time and again they beat us and anyone who criticises Livingston for the long ball needs to look at our own tactics. Almost every attack starts with Vaclav rolling it to a defender who launches it up the park. We clearly don’t have a Lyndon Dykes but persist we do nonetheless. It’s becoming boring and predictable. Obika had a good goal last night and has good touches but he’s not a great player in e air or at holding the ball. Imagine being Livingston right now three points off 3rd with around 800 fans . They’ve just rolled off six wins at home on the spin? When did we ever do this in premier league football? Listen give me Lawless, Robinson,Dykes anyday over what we have. It’s simply not good enough and again we look certs for the bottom 2 as I believe Hearts improve. Naismith and Boyce aided by 18000 home fans will make sure they don’t go down 

9 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Young Conor showing his inexperience am afraid, first goal was just outside the box but a very clumsy tackle,  can see why the ref gave it, 2nd Conor again in my opinion. 

Big john took his goal well was a great pass by young Cammy  

2 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Bottom line is that Dykes was a class above our CB's last night - they are both young and hopefully will learn from this. Neither did enough to prevent either goal. The second goal showed what happens when our LB is not where he should be, and therefore could not come in and assist the CB's...

Thankfully we have a midfielder who can play a decent pass onto a running striker and big JO shows how he can slot them away - maybe his best goal yet for us? He was unlucky near the end not to get at least one more... I think he and Jakubiak will produce more in the run in . . . No idea if the Turk will get up to speed and contribute or not, but we cannot pin all our hopes on one player - the team needs to have more players who work TOGETHER and play nearer their BEST...

I also think the newer guys will gel better soon. They really need to. The next 3 games could send us safer or pull us right into the mire. I'd settle right now for 2 wins, but we ain't managing even one recently !

We need some belief, and that only comes with better results !!! :magic

13 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Bottom line is that Dykes was a class above our CB's last night - they are both young and hopefully will learn from this. Neither did enough to prevent either goal. The second goal showed what happens when our LB is not where he should be, and therefore could not come in and assist the CB's...

Thankfully we have a midfielder who can play a decent pass onto a running striker and big JO shows how he can slot them away - maybe his best goal yet for us? He was unlucky near the end not to get at least one more... I think he and Jakubiak will produce more in the run in . . . No idea if the Turk will get up to speed and contribute or not, but we cannot pin all our hopes on one player - the team needs to have more players who work TOGETHER and play nearer their BEST...

I also think the newer guys will gel better soon. They really need to. The next 3 games could send us safer or pull us right into the mire. I'd settle right now for 2 wins, but we ain't managing even one recently !

Torture as Uncle Colm puts the Forum into a coma. 

Zzzzzweeper07

22 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

One word... Correct

53 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Absolute nonsense. You’re really gunning for Waters at the moment, eh?

Watch the second goal back. Famewo (our left CB) is almost standing in front on McCarthy leaving a huge gap, and it’s left McCarthy scrambling over from the right to cover. They should at least be in a line with where McCarthy was, so Famewo is the one at fault.

We’ve badly gifted possession away in the middle of the park, so there are three or four others to point the finger at before you look at Waters.

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

Agree,  other than the LB bit... central defence to blame 100%  end of,  they're 2 young guys they'll make mistakes and learn fingers X 

26 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

Agree,  other than the LB bit... central defence to blame 100%  end of,  they're 2 young guys they'll make mistakes and learn fingers X 

Correcting my earlier agreement with Sweeper and qualifying this. 

Fameo and Dykes had a ding doing battle. Fameo was, imo, at fault for the goal but credit to Dykes. 

Early in the game Livvy played the ball on the ground down or left and were able to get in a number of crosses. That much is true.