Coronavirus

faraway saint

The BBC news whipping it up this morning when some government minister was in and was presented with a statement that the government haven't"done enough", which can mean anything you fecking well like. 

I'll have to go into work, making stuff for the Oil and Gas industry isn't possible working from home.

Edited by faraway saint

11 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

So a tweet from a Vit-C manufacturing company almost a month ago has been picked up by folk that are pushing alternative medicine. Wow, hoodathunkit?

Do you know why we know that alternative medicines and alternative treatments haven't been proven to work? Because they would then just be called medicines and treatments.

I particularly love the headline that the world's media are keeping quiet about this when it's been literally wall to wall coverage 24-7 for weeks. :lol:

11 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

It's what they need in the gents at the stadium but taking away the lower sign. 

For me, that’s a logic “FAIL”.

From memory, (and visits to bogs in various parts of the grun), there no doors to which one might append a sign.

1 minute ago, antrin said:

For me, that’s a logic “FAIL”.

From memory, (and visits to bogs in various parts of the grun), there no doors to which one might append a sign.

True. Other than in the 1877 or functions suite. Just as well as I still see a number of guys leave without washing their hands. 

Guest TPAFKATS
True. Other than in the 1877 or functions suite. Just as well as I still see a number of guys leave without washing their hands. 
The biggest problem with washing your hands in the stadium toilets is frostbite. The water is cold and the hand driers don't work. You'd need to spend 10 minutes hoping the cold air tumbling out with the force of a 100yo with COPD might be enough to stop icicles forming on your fingers.

15 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

The biggest problem with washing your hands in the stadium toilets is frostbite. The water is cold and the hand driers don't work. You'd need to spend 10 minutes hoping the cold air tumbling out with the force of a 100yo with COPD might be enough to stop icicles forming on your fingers.

Fair points. I take tissues to use when drying my hands. Improvement is needed. 

6 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye but your tissues are usually used for something else. 😉

Wiping you from our backsides? 

Do people from Arbroath not have to wear a bell to warn other people of their approach? 

I've certainly never heard it at a game. 

Edited by St.Ricky

Guest TPAFKATS
Me. 
I watched Mike Hancocks interview on the TV yesterday where I thought he did a great job of spelling out what the major concerns are. He said that the current mortality rate was lower than that of flu and that many people who catch it will have symptoms so mild that they might not even recognise that they have it. But then he also spelled out the fact that the government has to take action to try to slow the spread of the virus because the infrastructure of the country can't cope with 66 million people all getting it at the same time. The message was pretty clear - don't panic, but to take precautions. 
What is more enlightening is the state of the countries hygiene. Seriously, the BBC has had to put out videos showing citizens how to properly wash their hands. Is that really the state of the nation? 

I didn't see his interview, however I'm really hoping he didn't say something so obviously false as the mortality rate being lower than seasonal flu.

1 hour ago, Dickson said:

What is more enlightening is the state of the countries hygiene. Seriously, the BBC has had to put out videos showing citizens how to properly wash their hands. Is that really the state of the nation? 

It is the state of the nation - and I believe that it is a very positive aspect of a civilised nation.

This kind of message should always (and HAS been) reiterated once every generation.  I don't think it is merely for coronavirus, but as that's on its way, NOW is as good a time as any to repeat general personal hygiene messages.

I see more litter nowadays than since probably the Sixties. THAT has had several govt onslaughts in  down the years. There are regular repeats of antismoking campaigns.   We have messages about how to prepare and handle foodstuffs.  How to deal with animal shit...

Not everyone in the UK will know how to wash their hands effectively or that you should not just discard litter.  children/youngsters need to have such messages repeated enough times for the message to get through and be heeded.

Incomers from other societies do things differently - they need to know what is expected of them.

I can see no downside to such education.

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:
1 hour ago, faraway saint said:
Not washed my hands for years, except as part of the showering process.
Much ado about nothing in this germ free society. 

And right there is how this will simply spread, and spread. People are the problem.

Slightly exaggerated, knew some eejit would jump in.

I must be super human, had the flu once in 30 years, get cuts on a regular basis at work, maybe I should sell my blood, could make a fortune. 😂😂😂