Coronavirus

faraway saint

13 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Good, and, as has been mentioned, smaller shops are not getting hammered as much by the loonies.

Downside is they are generally a tad costlier. 

The Butchers in Elderslie ran out of stuff yesterday

Calling in workers from their day off  to meet the demand

Busier than Christmas Eve

Madness

1 minute ago, windae cleaner said:

The Butchers in Elderslie ran out of stuff yesterday

Calling in workers from their day off  to meet the demand

Busier than Christmas Eve

Madness

Just seen a cracking idea on the news, people have been writing/sending letters to residents in care homes.

I'm going to write a letter to my Dad, with work and stuff wasn't getting down as much as possible but as it's closed  for visitors this idea will give me chance to keep in touch. :thumbs2

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Just seen a cracking idea on the news, people have been writing/sending letters to residents in care homes.

I'm going to write a letter to my Dad, with work and stuff wasn't getting down as much as possible but as it's closed  for visitors this idea will give me chance to keep in touch. :thumbs2

Sorry to be a spoil sport... but the virus can survive over 24 hours on paper and be transferred that way, as far as I understand it.

I too thought it was a fantastic idea... but was soon "corrected"! 

Sorry to be a spoil sport... but the virus can survive over 24 hours on paper and be transferred that way, as far as I understand it.

Write on envelope ?

Posted on ( date ) Open 1 week later ?

Similar idea for schools : closing for several weeks : ZERO staff in building for first week : then they can be cleaned safely on week 2 as it’s no longer active on hard surfaces ?

10 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

I have seen figures of 24 hours for cardboard but not paper. Not sure whether this 24 hours is a maximum or an average but the paper I got that from is below. The supplementary information gives the numbers.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973?query=featured_home

As an aside, it was interesting to see massive gaps in the alcohol and crisps/nuts aisles tonight.

It strikes me that a lot of people now working from home are seeing this as a bit of a holiday without realising that this could result in mass unemployment if this goes on for more than a few weeks. Besides the panic over empty bog roll aisles, I wonder if the very real potential for absolute carnage to our way of life is truly sinking in yet.

Edited by oaksoft

5 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

But I don't have the virus and it'll take longer than 24 hours to get from me to him? 

No need to thank me, stand "corrected". 

PS I've written half the damn thing anyway, not going to waste ALL that effort. 😜

Edited by faraway saint

But I don't have the virus and it'll take longer than 24 hours to get from me to him? 
No need to thank me, stand "corrected". 
PS I've written half the damn thing anyway, not going to waste ALL that effort. [emoji12]
The postman delivering it could be carrying the virus. Bosh!
[emoji12]

You don't have a clue. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Lockdown. 🤪🤪🤪

Yeh, cos only the folk who’ve been reading this thread and your posts know what’s happening! [emoji23][emoji23]

I’m just surprised that Boris hasn’t asked TPAFTWAT to be his chief medical adviser

He seems to know everything! [emoji23]

Just now, Hiram Abiff said:

Yeh, cos only the folk who’ve been reading this thread and your posts know what’s happening! emoji23.pngemoji23.png

I’m just surprised that Boris hasn’t asked TPAFTWAT to be his chief medical adviser

He seems to know everything! emoji23.png

Boris asked me, told him I'm too busy working. 🤧🤧🤧

Carnage at the supermarkets. Almost no fresh meat in Asda or Sainsburys and Aldi is also pretty much out.

Interesting to see what people buy when they panic. Bread gone again and suddenly we've become a nation of bread makers because there's no fecking flour anywhere either. Almost out of beans and spaghetti too. Loads of idiots taking photos of empty toilet roll shelves for some reason. If chicken nuggets are your thing, you'll be fine as there was a pile of those.

That's the weeks shopping done thank goodness. Can't wait to see what it will be like next week. Maybe all those deliveries Faraway assured us were just a moment away will finally start arriving en masse.

Just back from Asda. Got my fresh meat, beans, rice, toilet paper and paracetamol.

Must have been the delivery faraway was telling you about [emoji106]

As an aside, if you go into any local shop in Paisley, other than fresh meat, they have stocks of everything including loads and loads of toilet paper.

30 minutes ago, Dickson said:

I sent my son to that wee shop in Glasgow today with some money to buy stuff off that convenience store in Charing Cross  that I was posting about the other day on here. She was in tears two days ago because no-one had been into her shop. All the panic buying was going on at Sainsburys just down the street. We don't need anything right now the money he will be spending will be to just try to give the shop owner a wee boost. 

I have no idea why people are forgetting about the wee shops though, Absolute mob mentality. 

BTW, as an aside I've been told from three different people now that the army are going to be deployed on the streets as of tonight in a bid to stop people looting! I didn't believe it off any of the sources but seeing pictures of tanks being taken down the M25 this morning and having seen troops in Strathclyde Park hs certainly made me think there may be an element of truth to it all. 

They're heading down to our ground, keeping the "We want a refund" mob at bay.

Kidding apart highly unlikely they are on patrol to prevent looting. It would take mass gangs to be involved that the police couldn't handle before that was even contemplated.

Guest TPAFKATS
Which is pretty much the same as every other country in the world bar South Korea. 

You are in full on Brit bashing mode. Its sad to see. It cannot be good for your mental health

Ah I see you've gone into full patriotic flag waving mode.

You continue with that, I'll continue to point out that our government has been utter ineffectual for 2 months.