Coronavirus

faraway saint

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Nice response, although it doesn't change the point in my last post............................🤧

Aye, well I'll have to own up to only having read about 20% of this thread, of which most seemed to be childish arguments about whether Coronavirus is basically the flu-plus, or not. I'm more concerned with the economic fallout, which I hope doesn't sound too callous.

I am distrustful of 'the government', as I happen to believe the real rulers of the world are not our elected politicians at all. I don't like talking politics or my reasons for thinking that, but I'm of the opinion that it is not in the interest of 'the powers that be' (TPTB) to jeopardise the economy like this in order to save the elderly and infirm. On the contrary, I think they'd quite like it. I worry that there's an ulterior motive to all this - out of chaos comes order and all that. Global governance and a paperless global currency could be the end game, here. 

Of course I just might be being too cynical, and this is simply like the Spanish Flu. We're living in interesting times either way. 

1 minute ago, W6er said:

Aye, well I'll have to own up to only having read about 20% of this thread, of which most seemed to be childish arguments about whether Coronavirus is basically the flu-plus, or not. I'm more concerned with the economic fallout, which I hope doesn't sound too callous.

I am distrustful of 'the government', as I happen to believe the real rulers of the world are not our elected politicians at all. I don't like talking politics or my reasons for thinking that, but I'm of the opinion that it is not in the interest of 'the powers that be' (TPTB) to jeopardise the economy like this in order to save the elderly and infirm. On the contrary, I think they'd quite like it. I worry that there's an ulterior motive to all this - out of chaos comes order and all that. Global governance and a paperless global currency could be the end game, here. 

Of course I just might be being too cynical, and this is simply like the Spanish Flu. We're living in interesting times either way. 

Nip back onto that space ship that dropped you off, your work is done. :byebye

2 hours ago, W6er said:

I agree with points 1 & 2. I'm ambivalent towards points 3 & 4, as I don't think people should always blindly follow their government's orders. Aye, in the case of a national emergency, but despotic regimes always claim that obedience is imperative for the good of the country! Ultimately I would rather take my chances and live in a free society than live in a country where I need the permission of the government to go to the shops. Temporarily, that's fine, but I will not blindly obey indefinitely. 

Fully agree with you about 3-4. I was only talking about short term. People really need to get a grip of themselves. We in serious s**t up to our necks for next few weeks. 

23 minutes ago, Hiram Abiff said:

Latest study from Wuhan has the final fatality ratio at 0.12%

Far far less than the figures being bandied about when all this broke

That would amount to approximately 5,600 deaths in Scotland, then. A figure I arrived at by guessing Scotland's population to be about 5.5 million. 

6 hours ago, W6er said:

That would amount to approximately 5,600 deaths in Scotland, then. A figure I arrived at by guessing Scotland's population to be about 5.5 million. 

So, IF that .12% is carried through for the UK it would equate to just under 70,000.

I'd like to think we can learn from other countries, maybe the scare stories of anywhere between 300,000 and 1,000,000 with no time frame will be seen as pure fantasy. 

The UK is currently, yesterdays figures, sitting at 177. 

The first case was in December in China and it's slowed to almost nothing. 

Edited by faraway saint

6 minutes ago, Dickson said:

There is certainly no point in political point scoring. Sturgeon attends the same meetings as Johnson and is doing very little that is different. A few days ago Blackford was still chuntering on about Independence like an Independent Scotland would be better placed. McDowell and Corbyn think the government should do more - theres a surprise eh? And the Lib Dems and Farage have become so irrelevant they aren't saying a thing. 

I've no idea how the huge cash giveaway is going to work but I hope everyone plays fair and that we don't see companies that don't need help to stay afloat claiming it. I also hope that bosses that do claim it ensure it reaches the staff its meant to help and where they can they top it up too, as was stated in the briefing, to pay staff 100% of their salary. 

You can bet your last dollar that SOME fcuk wits will abuse it, there's always fannies that will see it as a way to steal some cash.

If they do and get caught jail them. 

That’s assuming everyone got the virus

There are 50,000 deaths in Scotland every year as it is

Articles now beginning to emerge, even on the BBC, questioning the death rate and whether all the deaths are actually attributable just to coronavirus.

How many of the people who died with coronavirus in their system would have died anyway?

Latest study from Italy shows that 99.2% of people who died had at least 1 chronic health condition

75% had at least 2 chronic health conditions

50% had at least 3 chronic health conditions

The 3 main health conditions were heart disease, diabetes and cancer.

The average age of death was 80

The 5 people in the study who died who were aged 30 to 39 all had severe existing illnesses

An 80 year old dies and his death is attributed to coronavirus rather than the cancer and the heart condition he had?

Governments are wrecking the world economy and taking away civil liberties because they are shit scared of the backlash of coronavirus deaths being laid at their door

But few are actually questioning the reality. Few are questioning the long term consequences for the NHS and how many deaths from other causes this lockdown will cause

1 hour ago, shull said:

I have never decided whether Icke is crazy or an employee of TPTB whose job it is to spread disinformation. He mixes truth with arrant nonsense, and therefore tarnishes the whole notion of a conspiracy in the minds of the less curious public.

8 hours ago, Hiram Abiff said:

Latest study from Wuhan has the final fatality ratio at 0.12%

Far far less than the figures being bandied about when all this broke

7 hours ago, W6er said:

No mention of the severe lockdown restrictions imposed there and how that might have helped diminish the impact of the virus.

so it was all a bad dream, was it?

There is certainly no point in political point scoring. Sturgeon attends the same meetings as Johnson and is doing very little that is different. A few days ago Blackford was still chuntering on about Independence like an Independent Scotland would be better placed. McDowell and Corbyn think the government should do more - theres a surprise eh? And the Lib Dems and Farage have become so irrelevant they aren't saying a thing. 
I've no idea how the huge cash giveaway is going to work but I hope everyone plays fair and that we don't see companies that don't need help to stay afloat claiming it. I also hope that bosses that do claim it ensure it reaches the staff its meant to help and where they can they top it up too, as was stated in the briefing, to pay staff 100% of their salary. 

The thing is, if folk are at home then they’ll save on travelling expenses, they won’t be going to the pub, the football, the cinema. They won’t be going on holiday.

80% sounds about right

Plenty, probably temporary, jobs as mentioned by [mention=15892]Dickson[/mention] a few days ago with all the supermarkets.

One of my mates, laid off during the week, already got a "job" for the time being.

There will be loads of takeaway jobs going and delivery jobs.

My daughter was in a certain paisley restaurant last night and they just launched takeaways for the first time. The phone didn’t stop ringing apparently and the girl answering the phone said they was at least a 90 min wait.

Right, Morrisons not too bad at 7.30, no pasta, tins or bog roll by then but plenty fresh food. Butchers in Troon nothing to sell by 9.30 and closed. Fishmonger and fruit and veg shop queued out the door but tons in. Sea bass and langoustine in the Ayrshire house tonight and just off to the local Day Today for the wine and beer. Planting my early tattie this afternoon, dig for victory Lads.