Coronavirus

faraway saint

14 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

I cannot believe anyone thinks there is a shred of truth in any figures issued by the Chinese authorities. The situation in Italy proves they have been talking utter shite since day 1. Folk will only start to realise the true extent when we reach the levels Italy are experiencing and there is no reason to think they won't. The government are constantly telling us it's going to be that way, our measures are simply to flatten the curve in comparison to Italy. We should prepare for a long and worsening haul here.

Why not read the World Health Organisation 40 page report. 

China’s method of tackling the virus has been completely different from Italy.

That’s what makes the difference.

Again no examples, just fatuous statements from you.
I've been critical of governments slow response to this. That isn't political point scoring, particularly as I haven't been supporting any other politician when doing so.

You know Stuart you appeared back on here during the kibble debate and unlike most other contributors I gave you a clean slate and engaged in that debate with you, supporting some views, disagreeing with others.
It seems however ever since that vote was sorted, possibly before, you've resorted to type and it's all about the petty trolling so beloved of those one or two sad individuals who liked certain posts you made.

It's going to be a long few weeks, however seeing the trolls turn on each other and start to, metaphorically at least, eat other on this forum might be one of the few highlights (if anyone with any sanity is still bothering with the forum by that point).

Comic irony [emoji23]

So they say ! I don't think there were many overseas observers fact checking their stats.

Why not read the World Health Organisation 40 page report. 

China’s method of tackling the virus has been completely different from Italy.

That’s what makes the difference.

So you realise it now I take it as plenty seem to be in full denial mode. Why would it be better here than Italy ?

Italy has the second oldest population in the world, their longevity is greater than in the UK

They also have a higher rate of smoking, particularly amongst men

The air pollution in the north of Italy, like in the Wuhan area, is notoriously bad

And different countries have different ways of recording deaths

Interestingly, the chief adviser to Italy’s health minister has now said that, upon re-evaluation, only 12% on their deaths can be attributable directly to coronavirus.

The other 88% had at least 1, many had 2 or 3 other co-morbidities

24 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You know she's probably going to say "Aye OK" to your face and then go out when your back is turned don't you?

A friend of mine travelled up from Leeds to Glasgow to see his 93 year old mother in an effort to get her to understand and practice social distancing. She will be OK she says as her neighbours will pop round!! 

12 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

To all the panic buyers, a £1 Billion pounds worth of additional food been purchased in the last 3 weeks.

Aye, eye watering. :thumbsdown

To try to look at this figure in fairness the massive reduction in people eating out WILL have contributed to this increase.

Not sure how much but it will be considerable. 

1 minute ago, Dickson said:

I don't know. Takeaways are still open and reportedly doing loads of business. Many restaurants have already started a takeaway service too. I think people are still just being greedy. I would have thought most would have run out of space by now but the main street here was mobbed this morning, so much for social distancing. There isn't even a supermarket down there. One convenience store where I usually go to use the ATM and which usually has an empty car park out front had queues going into it and all spaces were filled. f**k knows what they were selling. I wasn't desperate enough for cash to find out. 

I'm not saying people aren't being arseholes, far from it, there's plenty evidence of that but it will have some increase.

More so now with pubs closing, plenty used these as eating places.

It HAS to have an increase in purchasing, probably impossible to put a figure on it. 

Very few deaths, especially in the age groups we are talking about here have a single cause of death registered. Given how few have died without underlying serious conditions even more so.

Italy has the second oldest population in the world, their longevity is greater than in the UK

They also have a higher rate of smoking, particularly amongst men

The air pollution in the north of Italy, like in the Wuhan area, is notoriously bad

And different countries have different ways of recording deaths

Interestingly, the chief adviser to Italy’s health minister has now said that, upon re-evaluation, only 12% on their deaths can be attributable directly to coronavirus.

The other 88% had at least 1, many had 2 or 3 other co-morbidities

Our local Italian are advertising a home delivery service however they are charging their normal restaurant prices which makes it a mighty expensive takeaway. On another note The beach at Troon is MOBBED. It's a bright but cold day but the prom and sands are like school summer holidays. Not much social distancing going on !

I don't know. Takeaways are still open and reportedly doing loads of business. Many restaurants have already started a takeaway service too. I think people are still just being greedy. I would have thought most would have run out of space by now but the main street here was mobbed this morning, so much for social distancing. There isn't even a supermarket down there. One convenience store where I usually go to use the ATM and which usually has an empty car park out front had queues going into it and all spaces were filled. f**k knows what they were selling. I wasn't desperate enough for cash to find out. 

Got my test results back yesterday. Negative. Not sure how to feel about that??

I’ve no got coronavirus - yaaaaaay!

I can still get coronavirus - boooooo!

One of the reasons for the huge impact on the NHS is because people are getting tested for stuff they normally wouldn’t give a second thought to

You tell me ? It's very difficult to attribute a death to a specific cause in patients with underlying health issues. What's probably fair to say is that these people although they have issues probably wouldn't have died without the virus so in that context it's going to kill thousands (directly or contributory). Are you saying we shouldn't try to prevent these folk dying, basically you would advocate natural selection ?

So why are we wrecking the economy for so few directly attributable deaths?

12 minutes ago, Hiram Abiff said:

So why are we wrecking the economy for so few directly attributable deaths?

To stop the NHS being swamped by cases in the way Italy has because if that happens people will die in increasing numbers for goodness knows how long.

Is this a serious question?

You tell me ?

I’ve already given my opinion on that

What's probably fair to say is that these people although they have issues probably wouldn't have died without the virus

How is that fair to say?

How do you know they wouldn’t have died anyway, if not now, by the end of the year?

There’s is a BBC article today asking that very same question.

The 3 main underlying health conditions that people have died from along with this virus are heart disease, diabetes and cancer.

More than 75% have at least 2. More than 50% have at least 3.

The average age is 80

What do you think the longevity is for an 80 year old smoker with cancer, a heart condition and diabetes?

so in that context it's going to kill thousands (directly or contributory). Are you saying we shouldn't try to prevent these folk dying, basically you would advocate natural selection ?

Are you saying that we should shut down the economy and direct scarce NHS resources to keep people alive who would have died anyway?

What’s so different about this than the 8,000 deaths in the UK every year co-contributed to the flu? Why don’t you advocate shutting down the economy for that?

There are nearly 2,000 deaths on the roads every year. Should we ban cars?

22 minutes ago, Hiram Abiff said:

One of the reasons for the huge impact on the NHS is because people are getting tested for stuff they normally wouldn’t give a second thought to

I agree. In fairness though, I never asked to be tested. I was told I had to be because I’d been to France. The cough I had (still have actually) was probably the worst I ever had, but I had none of the other symptoms. I never really thought I had it, but because people were saying that the severity of the symptoms varied massively, I thought you never know. 
As of yesterday, there had still only been 300 odd people tested in Jersey with 12 cases diagnosed, so no massive strain on the health service here yet. 

To stop the NHS being swamped by cases in the way Italy has because if that happens people will die in increasing numbers for goodness knows how long.

Going by the numbers coming out of Italy, their health system was already swamped by the exact same people, half of them with severe underlying health conditions, including cancer, who would probably have died anyway.

I agree. In fairness though, I never asked to be tested. I was told I had to be because I’d been to France. The cough I had (still have actually) was probably the worst I ever had, but I had none of the other symptoms. I never really thought I had it, but because people were saying that the severity of the symptoms varied massively, I thought you never know. 
As of yesterday, there had still only been 300 odd people tested in Jersey with 12 cases diagnosed, so no massive strain on the health service here yet. 

Wasn’t having a direct pop at you, albeit you are indeed a fanny [emoji12]