Coronavirus

faraway saint

1 hour ago, Dickson said:

Ah! I wondered how you were going to shift the goalposts.

Making it just Scotland instead of the UK when my initial question specifically stated the UK.

Pathetic. Absolutely f**king pathetic.

Edited by oaksoft

14 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Ah! I wondered how you were going to shift the goalposts.

Making it just Scotland instead of the UK when my initial question specifically stated the UK.

Pathetic. Absolutely f**king pathetic.

To be fair, health is devolved to the Scottish Parliament.

I noticed you are a bit of a legend on P&B, btw. Gave you a couple of upvotes! :thumbsup

Guest TPAFKATS
Do you know what the corresponding Italy numbers were on 7th March?

Italy is seeing an exponential rise in new cases after 2 weeks of total lockdown.

Any suggestions as to why?

What we are seeing now is a result of actions or rather inactions from 4 or 5 weeks ago.

So although Italy has been in lock down for 2 weeks it'll take longer to see the results of the lock down.

We were still allowing flights in and out of Italy this month.

Our prime minister was boasting about shaking hands with folk who had the virus at the start of this month. He didn't really do this, he was found to have been lying... again.

This time last week we were pursuing herd immunity.

We chose to follow the advice of the behavioural scientists instead of the medical scientists as they gave the better forecast and allowed less disruption to the financial market and life in general.

That plan has been changed twice on a week.

12 minutes ago, Dickson said:

Oh dear, you are having a nightmare! 

No it didn't. Here is your initial question.

You've lost it big time Oaksoft. The signs were all there from the moment you boasted about your panic purchase of toilet paper. Since then you've been unable to read posts and completely incapable of following a conversation. Perhaps if you were cool, calm and rational like some of us are being you'd be better able to cope with it. 🙄

That wasn't my initial post on the subject.

Just go away Stuart. I'm not playing.

4 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Aye but it's all a load of pish according to some f**king morons on here. I despair at humanity at times. No idea what it's going to take for the "great" British public to treat this seriously.

I said earlier on this thread that the magnitude of this hasn't sunk into people. The empty beer aisles prove that. What really did it for me was a Tory government announcing it would pay 80% of employees salaries and then announcing that pubs and clubs should all shut immediately and also looking at the exponential trend of deaths in the UK. We are ahead of the initial China curve and if nothing changes I can see where this is potentially going in the next couple of weeks. I can't see how we can avoid the NHS being overwhelmed and when that happens all bets are off.

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:
6 hours ago, oaksoft said:
Do they all happen at the same time?
Because that's the only way this would be a reasonable comparison.

He's just attention seeking

No idea what pleasure he gets in it. In his first response, he used UK current active cases figures. When I blew a hole in that, he moved to Scottish figures. Maybe he's just lonely.

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

What we are seeing now is a result of actions or rather inactions from 4 or 5 weeks ago.

So although Italy has been in lock down for 2 weeks it'll take longer to see the results of the lock down.

We were still allowing flights in and out of Italy this month.

Our prime minister was boasting about shaking hands with folk who had the virus at the start of this month. He didn't really do this, he was found to have been lying... again.

This time last week we were pursuing herd immunity.

We chose to follow the advice of the behavioural scientists instead of the medical scientists as they gave the better forecast and allowed less disruption to the financial market and life in general.

That plan has been changed twice on a week.

I think the sudden switch, when they realised they were using the wrong data, will go down as the point where everything went tits up.

It looks like a genuine mistake but that will certainly result in the NHS becoming swamped in the next two weeks. I think we have missed the chance to avoid Italy's fate and it's utterly tragic.

Sunday papers reporting it was Dominic Cummings who persuaded the PM herd immunity was the policy to pursue. Cummings eventually was persuaded by the scientific data to change track hence the change of policy this week. IF true (it is only paper talk) and the PM has based national emergency health policy on the word of an unelected, non scientific spin doctor then it's a monumental mistake that might end up costing thousands of lives.

I think the sudden switch, when they realised they were using the wrong data, will go down as the point where everything went tits up.
It looks like a genuine mistake but that will certainly result in the NHS becoming swamped in the next two weeks. I think we have missed the chance to avoid Italy's fate and it's utterly tragic.

Just in case anyone thinks that schools have been closed, they are not.

The Scottish government, on the insistence of the SQA, have deemed it O.K. to invite large groups of pupils into schools to complete course work, which will never be marked. This goes against every piece of advice given out on "social distancing". Also,the schools are absolutely filthy due to the high absence rate amongst cleaners. 

I'll be at work, on a voluntary basis, looking after vulnerable pupils and those whose parents have been categorised as "key workers". Although it would seem that different local authorities have different definitions and criteria for the latter category. There a few colleagues who have kids who have volunteered too, only to be told they are not key workers, so they can't send their kids into school to be looked after, so have to stay home to look after their kids.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Just in case anyone thinks that schools have been closed, they are not.

The Scottish government, on the insistence of the SQA, have deemed it O.K. to invite large groups of pupils into schools to complete course work, which will never be marked. This goes against every piece of advice given out on "social distancing". Also,the schools are absolutely filthy due to the high absence rate amongst cleaners. 

I'll be at work, on a voluntary basis, looking after vulnerable pupils and those whose parents have been categorised as "key workers". Although it would seem that different local authorities have different definitions and criteria for the latter category. There a few colleagues who have kids who have volunteered too, only to be told they are not key workers, so they can't send their kids into school to be looked after, so have to stay home to look after their kids.

I's important to give young people an even chance of getting a good estimated grade.  Even if course work isn't marked it's there for a teacher to review and for the purposes of appeal for some students.  it's also proof of attainment, if needed, in future years.

I work in the energy sector and workers on our sites are having to clean their own work spaces as cleaners are deemed non-essential, the local authorities should be thinking of a backstop on hygiene as they are also the enforcers on environmental health

It's hard to know what to do for the best and i cant fault anyone who is thinking of how things will be for young people who need to pick up the threads in a year or so.

Edited by beyond our ken

Just now, cockles1987 said:

As much as I commend those volunteers, if they are not required then by that action they are not key workers. Hope I read what you had written correct. emoji106.png

They are required. If they don't volunteer, then there is no one to look after vulnerable pupils or children of key workers. So any key workers in the NHS would have to stay at home to look after their kids.

10 hours ago, shull said:

Why are folk in a rage at a few people congregating in a Pub  ?

Not a word regarding thousands upon thousands rammed and jammed into Supermarkets all day long and every day.

Maybe because people need to eat, but they don't need to drink.

29 minutes ago, Dickson said:

To be fair Tommy, Shull has a point. Many of these Supermarkets haven't be maintained very well. I think if any member of the public had a look at the air filters at many of these stores they'd be shocked at what they saw. And certainly standing in a long queue in close proximity to other people seems counter intuitive when it comes to social distancing. 

No he doesn't, as Tommy pointed out supermarkets, the germ infested cesspits they are according to you (Shades of Oaky/Ayrshire bumpkin here, trying to make things worse than they are) are NECESSARY, pubs are nowhere near necessary.

I'm aware, discussed this with family yesterday, there is no legal powers yet but most would agree stopping unnecessary groups is a sensible step to slow this down, allowing the NHS to try to cope.

It is a point that people seem to have no idea standing so close to people is defeating the whole "isolating" issue.

I notice the usual drama queens are using Italy as the ONLY comparison, again, drama at it's best. 

There are other countries in the world, just saying. 

Italy are taking the "self isolating" to heart, spoke to my cousin who lives there this morning.

They also do respect the distancing when shopping YET they still have a very high death rate.

Oh, they also aren't hoarding like the half wits that seem to be prevalent in our society. 

Edited by faraway saint

44 minutes ago, Dickson said:

To be fair Tommy, Shull has a point. Many of these Supermarkets haven't be maintained very well. I think if any member of the public had a look at the air filters at many of these stores they'd be shocked at what they saw. And certainly standing in a long queue in close proximity to other people seems counter intuitive when it comes to social distancing. 

I stopped reading when you said shull has a point  :lol: