Coronavirus

faraway saint

1 hour ago, W6er said:

Thanks for your reply. I noticed the P&B politics forum was just an echo chamber of virtue signallers before I even joined. Needless to say, I simply avoid it. Politics has become very tribal nowadays, and it's nonsensical and often prevents civilised discussion. People are also often frightened to consider arguments that contradict their paradigm, and therefore become very insular and myopic. It's terrible that people are so spiteful towards you, but I imagine it is a reflection of their own miserable, unfulfilled lives.

This forum is certainly interesting, and has a few 'characters'...I suspect literally in some cases.

I tried to tell them about the virtue signalling and the echo chamber stuff. You can imagine what the response was. 🤣

28 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I've a feeling you're not taking this seriously. 🙄

You obviously won't unless/until, (hopefully not), it directly affects you.

Yep. I think that's the nub of the issue. That's exactly what it will take for people to take it seriously.

25 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Yep. I think that's the nub of the issue. That's exactly what it will take for people to take it seriously.

Its a cultural thing. As a society we've never seen anything like this before and people can't get their head around the idea that this is actually happening and the government can't protect us. 

It's tailed off in China because the memories of SARS, swine flu and other epidemics that killed many people in China all happened in living memory. So culturally they know how to deal with stuff like this and immediately go into preservation mode when it starts to take off. 

23 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

Hope there's an announcement regarding Self Employed folk soon. emoji106.png

I hope it's based on tax paid. I know a lot of self-employed people pay very little or no tax, taking cash in hand or fiddling their accounts. Of course that doesn't apply to all self-employed people and those that pay tax should receive generous governmental assistance. 

33 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

Don't like these figures emoji26.png

Screenshot_20200322-205956_Facebook.jpeg

281 now in the UK throws it off Italy's like for like numbers quite significantly.

Think it will stay below Italy's curve to be honest. Lombardy was the absolute epicentre of the outbreak. There is a relatively large population of Chinese expats in Bergamo and the first infected were allowed to walk about undetected for several days amongst a very old population before anything was detected. The numbers in Italy if removing Lombardy and the two bordering regions actually suggest that the wider situation isn't out of control. 

There was no such epicentre in the UK. That's why I don't think the rate will mirror or be worse than Italy. Either way, it's still going to make for some horrible numbers. 

11 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

When you write you know, is that folk you actually know?

Aye, I know quite a few self-employed folk. I also worked as a mortgage underwriter for several years and I would have to scrutinise people's accounts. Many self-employed form a Ltd company and pay themselves a salary up to the tax threshold and then pay themselves the rest as dividends on their shares, if I recall correctly. It was a long time ago, but certainly there are ways and means to ensure little tax is paid. Company expenses is another good way of doing this - your car and petrol is written off as expenses, even some of your meals, holidays, etc, etc. 

As I wrote earlier, payments should be based on tax paid or, if it's a new business on PAYE earnings over the last decade. I think it will be interesting to see just how big the black economy is, as folk who've survived off cash-in-hand jobs will perhaps now need support. What will their story be?

1 minute ago, HSS said:

That’s the only fair way to do it and it gives the honest tax payer something back.

Absolutely, and punish those who've cheated the system for years and now have their hand out, seeking other people's money.

Here is sound and probably very effective advice about ensuring effective cleanliness in the present times.

"Wash your hands like you've just chopped chillies and are off for a wank"

Good work, Germans. That's how to get the message across.

From twitter

Guest TPAFKATS
281 now in the UK throws it off Italy's like for like numbers quite significantly.
Think it will stay below Italy's curve to be honest. Lombardy was the absolute epicentre of the outbreak. There is a relatively large population of Chinese expats in Bergamo and the first infected were allowed to walk about undetected for several days amongst a very old population before anything was detected. The numbers in Italy if removing Lombardy and the two bordering regions actually suggest that the wider situation isn't out of control. 
There was no such epicentre in the UK. That's why I don't think the rate will mirror or be worse than Italy. Either way, it's still going to make for some horrible numbers. 
And we were still allowing flights to and from northern Italy and UK until recently.

Morale outrage today from the mob about folk being seen in parks

Just last week the government advised that mass gatherings were not a significant source for the transmission of the virus. They said they were only cancelling mass gatherings because it would take up NHS resource.

You would think that walking in the park would therefore be an even lesser risk

Evidence from China is that the most significant source of transmission is prolonged contact with people inside.

You would therefore think that people should be encouraged to get outside!

After all, it’s thought that one of the main reasons the flu is prevalent in the winter is because people spend a lot of time indoors in contact with people. It dies down in the summer because people go outside.

Japan appears to be one of the least affected countries from the virus. This despite one of the first countries to record a case. They have the oldest population on the world and a large % of smokers.

There is no lockdown in Japan. Cities are busy and their tubes are packed with folk going to work.

Over in Italy, where there is a high % of young people who still live at home, they are going out to work then being forced to stay at home for prolonged periods in confined spaces with elderly relatives.

Who has got it wrong? Japan or Italy?

5 hours ago, Dickson said:

I hardly think so.

Have you looked into the background of that newspaper you have cited?

Come back to me when you have done so.

5 hours ago, W6er said:

I hope it's based on tax paid. I know a lot of self-employed people pay very little or no tax, taking cash in hand or fiddling their accounts. Of course that doesn't apply to all self-employed people and those that pay tax should receive generous governmental assistance. 

It will have to be related to profit not tax paid or they'll cut off a tranche of people like single parents at the bottom end.

You shouldn't extrapolate from the behaviour of people you know personally to the entire field of self employed people.

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:
4 hours ago, W6er said:
Aye, I know quite a few self-employed folk. I also worked as a mortgage underwriter for several years and I would have to scrutinise people's accounts. Many self-employed form a Ltd company and pay themselves a salary up to the tax threshold and then pay themselves the rest as dividends on their shares, if I recall correctly. It was a long time ago, but certainly there are ways and means to ensure little tax is paid. Company expenses is another good way of doing this - your car and petrol is written off as expenses, even some of your meals, holidays, etc, etc. 
As I wrote earlier, payments should be based on tax paid or, if it's a new business on PAYE earnings over the last decade. I think it will be interesting to see just how big the black economy is, as folk who've survived off cash-in-hand jobs will perhaps now need support. What will their story be?

IIRC, you still pay tax on the dividends (as income) but you don't pay NI on it. I could be wrong, though.

You are correct. I think he is either forgetting that or doesn't realise it. Not sure why he's bringing it up because it's not relevant to tax payments.

Edited by oaksoft

Looks like scammers are upping their efforts, I've received 2 texts in the last 3 days................

1st one "from"the DVLA gleefully telling me I have a vehicle tax refund, click this link to process.............................

2nd one "from" HSBC scaring me with the message that my account has been suspended due to a security visit....................

I texted both back with the same message..........................Feck Off.

Jeezo. 

Looks like scammers are upping their efforts, I've received 2 texts in the last 3 days................
1st one "from"the DVLA gleefully telling me I have a vehicle tax refund, click this link to process.............................
2nd one "from" HSBC scaring me with the message that my account has been suspended due to a security visit....................
I texted both back with the same message..........................Feck Off.
Jeezo. 
You texted back a scam text...?
Your next Bill might be Interesting.

It’s like some folk actually want the situation in Italy to happen here just to prove their point and to suit their agenda

Wanting a fascist state to be imposed with absolutely no evidence that it works.

You’ve really got to wonder about the mentality of these evil people

And your proven alternative to save lives is?