Coronavirus

faraway saint

7 minutes ago, Hiram Abiff said:

18 days into their lockdown and a record number of people dying with a positive coronavirus test

The lockdown clearly isn’t working and may even have exacerbated the spread

Their health people have said about 2-3 weeks is required before they see a drop-off. Give it another week. Then I might be in agreement about the lockdown.

Why do you think a lock-down would exacerbate the situation?

1 minute ago, Yflab said:

Does not surprise me. I’ll be honest I’ve not been into a bookies for a good few years. 

I don't bet any more either.

The only reason I know, is because a couple of years ago I was in a bookies to bet on the first goal scorer in a Scotland game, in order to generate some interest in the game. It was the first time I'd been in a bookies for ages. As I picked up the football coupon, I noticed the name of a horse that had some sort of Saints connection. I rushed over to put the bet on. It was only when the race started that I noticed that it wasn't an actual horse race. Needless to say, the horse came nowhere.

28 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52060900

3rd paragraph. Deaths up by 769. This doesn't tally with worldometer though so one of them is wrong unless they are using different timelines for their 24 hours.

I wouldn't trust the BBC if they told me it was Friday today. 

Worldometer, has been spot on every day I've checked it, and adds up to figures used on most media outlets. 

I agree with your Monday prediction but I think we'll be at 600-700 by next Friday. Like I have repeatedly said, I hope I'm wrong about that because that'll be us at the Italy level in under the fortnight which I said we were behind them.   

The thing is, all this tells us is a number of people who have died who had coronavirus As Neil Ferguson stated, two thirds would have died anyway

And were the ‘people who would have died anyway’ all getting tested for coronavirus a couple of days ago or last week?

What the increase in the number of people who need critical care is what we need to know.

And to put these deaths into perspective, there were 473 excess deaths per day in the winter of 2014/15, mostly attributable to the flu.

516 excess deaths per day in the winter of 1999/2000

And this isn’t the total number of deaths attributable the flu, just the number in excess of the normal average

Pneumonia was the underlying cause of nearly 20% of these deaths and a contributing factor in many more

2 hours ago, Hiram Abiff said:

Can someone explain how that guy is passing on the virus?

The virus is most easily passed on by prolonged contact with people in confined spaces

Exactly what the government is forcing us to do

And now we have the fascist police state doing this

I think it’s more to do with discouraging travel to places that you need a car to get there. Given that oil refineries will probably be next  service that will be adversely effected by the virus 

3 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

I think it’s more to do with discouraging travel to places that you need a car to get there. Given that oil refineries will probably be next  service that will be adversely effected by the virus 

Not really buying that.

There will be a massive drop in the requirement for fuel and we have considerable reserves.

The transport for fuel will be an essential business as will the refineries.

Just my opinion. 

Guest TPAFKATS
Their health people have said about 2-3 weeks is required before they see a drop-off. Give it another week. Then I might be in agreement about the lockdown.
Why do you think a lock-down would exacerbate the situation?
The folk dying now could have been ill for up to 5 weeks. This isn't news, it's been reported for weeks now.

We won't see a drop in deaths until we see a sustained period of drop in new cases, particularly hospital admissions.

Assuming there is still capacity to admit to hospital.

This is the level of ignorance we are dealing with the troll.

Guest TPAFKATS
Discouraging travel yes.
Fuel shortages, no.

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Not really buying that.

There will be a massive drop in the requirement for fuel and we have considerable reserves.

The transport for fuel will be an essential business as will the refineries.

Just my opinion. 

Fair point well made. Could it be that maybe by reducing car use, we reduce the risk of accidents that require hospital visits? 

Guest TPAFKATS
Fair point well made. Could it be that maybe by reducing car use, we reduce the risk of accidents that require hospital visits? 
Think it's more about stopping folk heading to beaches and beauty spots like they did last weekend.
Less traffic should mean less demand on emergency services too.

7 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

TBH I don;t agree with this part, unless thousands made the same trip to the same place.

A few individuals in their own car, having a walk with, or without, a dog poses NO risk IMO. 

The usual place my wife takes the dog, a pond about a mile and a half from here is, officially, out of bounds.

She's slightly nervous about taking the dog there.

If she got stopped and there was any grief it would make a mockery of the whole situation, and that's what we don't need. 

PS Kinda what was said above. :rolleyes:

Edited by faraway saint

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

TBH I don;t agree with this part, unless thousands made the same trip to the same place.

A few individuals in their own car, having a walk with, or without, a dog poses NO risk IMO. 

The usual place my wife takes the dog, a pond about a mile and a half from here is, officially, out of bounds.

She's slightly nervous about taking the dog there.

If she got stopped and there was any grief it would make a mockery of the whole situation, and that's what we don't need. 

It does seem mad. I just cycled back from Tesco in Seedhill and passed Dominos pizza in Gauze street, couldn’t believe my eyes when I looked inside, at least 15 workers side by side making pizzas!!! 

The folk dying now could have been ill for up to 5 weeks. This isn't news, it's been reported for weeks now.

We won't see a drop in deaths until we see a sustained period of drop in new cases, particularly hospital admissions.

Assuming there is still capacity to admit to hospital.

This is the level of ignorance we are dealing with the troll.

But they haven’t all been ill for 5 weeks before dying.

This shows your level of ignorance

But please keep posting. Your unintentional comedy is amusing.

So wheres the evidence of a rise in crime and domestic abuse in Scotland to counteract that drop in England . Anyone who knows me will no exactly where I'm getting my information from and it's a definite drop in crime so much so that officers are being diverted onto other duties. It stands to reason empty streets, no shops open, no pubs and clubs = less crime. I'd like to see evidence to the contrary

There is an upsurge in stupids on this forum too. 

I talk about increased levels of domestic abuse and crime levels in Scotland and you counter that with reports that there's a drop in crime in Durham, Merseyside and Manchester! And to add to that nonsense what the Guardian has failed to report on is that since the start of the virus police forces have been told not to investigate "low level" crime like burglaries. 

I got my information straight from the front line. 

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I won't lie, it was surprising and a bit disappointing to have to explain to you the benefit of just playing around with numbers and experimenting and creating things on your own regardless of whether they've been done before.

Don't you ever get sick of hearing yourself witter on and on and on and on and on..............................we do.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

What upsurge in crime and domestic violence ?

Actually I would expect domestic violence to increase dramatically during the lockdown.

Interesting that burglary is only down 20% or so. It's a bit hard to burgle a house when everyone is at home.

2 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:
7 hours ago, oaksoft said:
I won't lie, it was surprising and a bit disappointing to have to explain to you the benefit of just playing around with numbers and experimenting and creating things on your own regardless of whether they've been done before.

You're obviously free to do whatever you want, it doesn't change the fact that putting it on here was a waste of time and effort.

Not for me it wasn't. That's all that matters to me.

4 hours ago, FTOF said:

I don't bet any more either.

The only reason I know, is because a couple of years ago I was in a bookies to bet on the first goal scorer in a Scotland game, in order to generate some interest in the game. It was the first time I'd been in a bookies for ages. As I picked up the football coupon, I noticed the name of a horse that had some sort of Saints connection. I rushed over to put the bet on. It was only when the race started that I noticed that it wasn't an actual horse race. Needless to say, the horse came nowhere.

I done the same a few years ago ,was in putting on my fixed odds when I looked at the screens and seen a cartoon race and one of the horses was called Fast Zipper and it was at 20/1 so I stuck £5 on it and about a minute later was £100 up ,the good old days.