Coronavirus

faraway saint

3 minutes ago, Hiram Abiff said:

On the contrary, I’m pointing out the hypocrisy of those who want the police state but don’t want to follow the rules themselves

Your pointing out nothing, other than that fact that your are a total c@ck.

Why don't you give it a rest as your a mile out and making a total c@ck of yourself which you seem to do on a regular basis.

Let's get back on topic.................................when do we think the current "lockdown" (hate that emotive term but it's now become everyday language) could be lifted or less strict?

I've not been out today, mostly because it's fecking freezing so can't say if the measures are being followed or not.

I've been off work since Tuesday and it's not what I thought it would be, nothing much to do and the TV is shite.

If the weather picks up the authorities will have a busier time trying to keep people at home. 

27 minutes ago, Hiram Abiff said:

On the contrary, I’m pointing out the hypocrisy of those who want the police state but don’t want to follow the rules themselves

And worse, use the situation to their own advantage

Actually you are very clearly trying to tell him what to do and then attempting to manipulate the rest of us into applying peer pressure to force a change in his behaviour.

That sounds that you are not only supportive of the principle of a fascist state but actively engaging in collusion on your part.

Can we expect you to announce you've launched legal proceeds next?

Colluders will never be forgiven nor forgotten. Just ask those from Vichy.

Brrrrrrrr..........

Seeing as how Jeremy Vine's tweet about the Imperial guys predicting a peak of 250 UK daily deaths has been shown to be wrong, I've updated my graphs from worldometer and included my own predictions.

Notes:

1) This graph is purely empirical, based solely on recorded daily deaths in the UK by worldometer.

2) The data has been fitted with a simple exponential trend line.

3) The trend line is then extrapolated to predict where we'll be over the next couple of weeks. Going further than that with this basic model is not worthwhile.

4) As actual daily deaths data comes in, the exponential trend will alter and I'll revise my predictions.

5) I am only making rough predictions of what we could likely be seeing if government or other interventions make no significant difference.

6) You can have all the variables you like but nothing, and I do mean nothing, beats being able to do a quick qualitative check for yourself - a tried and tested technique in all sciences.

7) The graph cannot and doesn't attempt to indicate when daily deaths might peak or when levelling off might occur.

😎 I am happy to engage in technical discussions and disagreements. If you don't like my figures, provide better predictions or show me where others have done it. Any further tantrums from the usual suspects will be ignored.

Hopefully the bloody axes show up this time......

Right, my predictions for daily deaths based on the current trend are as follows for the next week or so are:

29th Mar - 279

30th Mar - 362

31st Mar - 469

1st Apr - 608

2nd Apr - 789

3rd Apr - 1023

4th Apr - 1327

5th Apr - 1721

6th Apr - 2232

7th Apr - 2895

8th Apr - 3755

covid19_28032020.png

Edited by oaksoft

19 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Seeing as how Jeremy Vine's tweet about the Imperial guys predicting a peak of 250 UK daily deaths has been shown to be wrong, I've updated my graphs from worldometer and included my own predictions.

Notes:

1) This graph is purely empirical, based on recorded daily deaths in the UK by worldometer.

2) The data has been fitted with a simple exponential trend line.

3) The trend line is then extrapolated to predict where we'll be over the next couple of weeks. Going further than that with this basic model is not worthwhile.

4) As actual daily deaths data comes in, the exponential trend will alter and I'll revise my predictions.

5) I am only making rough predictions of what we could likely be seeing if government or other interventions make no significant difference.

6) You can have all the variables you like but nothing, and I do mean nothing, beats being able to do a quick qualitative check for yourself - a tried and tested technique in all sciences.

7) I am happy to engage in technical discussions and disagreements. If you don't like my figures, provide better predictions or show me where others have done it. Any further tantrums from the usual suspects will be ignored.

Hopefully the bloody axes show up this time......

Right, my predictions for daily deaths based on the current trend are as follows for the next week or so are:

29th Mar - 279

30th Mar - 362

31st Mar - 469

1st Apr - 608

2nd Apr - 789

3rd Apr - 1023

4th Apr - 1327

5th Apr - 1721

6th Apr - 2232

7th Apr - 2895

8th Apr - 3755

covid19_28032020.png

This would take the death toll to 16,479 by 8th April, 11 days. 

The total worldwide right now is sitting at 28,800, which will, obviously rise over the same period.

Italy is sitting on 9,134 excluding today, we are just over 1,000 when the first cases started within a day of each other. 

I'm not getting into your graph, just the facts don't, IMO, support your figures continually rising at the same rate.

You, I think, originally said 3,000 per day on 6th April, now that's moved to 7th/8th April.

As I've said, time will tell but it would take some going to massively overtake the Italians. 

Oaky. Why do you have such a morbid fascination with predicting people dying? seems a strange hobby to have. Will you be on here heralding your numbers if they turn out relatively accurate?

Here's a figure for you.

SCOTLAND HAS AROUND 10% OT THE POPULATION OF England YET  ONLY 4% OF THE DEATHS. 

You could extrapolate the feck out of that.

Edited by stlucifer

5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

This would take the death toll to 16,479 by 8th April, 11 days. 

The total worldwide right now is sitting at 28,800, which will, obviously rise over the same period.

Italy is sitting on 9,134 excluding today, we are just over 1,000 when the first cases started within a day of each other. 

I'm not getting into your graph, just the facts don't, IMO, support your figures continually rising at the same rate.

You, I think, originally said 3,000 per day on 6th April, now that's moved to 7th/8th April.

As I've said, time will tell but it would take some going to massively overtake the Italians. 

TBF I did make it clear I was predicting where levelling off would occur.

The bit in red is because you're either struggling (like most people) with the concept of what exponential trends do over very short periods of time or you're not convinced there's an exponential trend at all, in which case I'd urge you to look again at the worldometer graphs which show this via straight line logarithmic graphs for most countries. The proof for exponential growth is certainly on that website.

It's moved to 7th/8th because of two or three days of unexpectedly low deaths rates last weekend. Italy did the same for a number of days in a row. We're clearly both back on the exponential trend. My prediction for 3000 will vary as new data comes in each day.

Given how rough and ready my graph is, being just two days out from my initial prediction is pretty reasonable.

11 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Oaky. Why do you have such a morbid fascination with predicting people dying? seems a strange hobby to have. Will you be on here heralding your numbers if they turn out relatively accurate?

Here's a figure for you.

SCOTLAND HAS AROUND 20% OT THE POPULATION OF England YET  ONLY 4% OF THE DEATHS. 

You could extrapolate the feck out of that.

I'm sorry but I'm not engaging in any sort of discussion with overly emotional people.

Cut out that shite in bold and I'll be happy to talk again.

15 minutes ago, Yflab said:

20%

I don’t think so. Back to school for you.

I am happy to accept being  wrong

I should have looked it up on google!

There are far more Englunders than I thought.

55,000,000 in England

5,300,000 in Scotland

So around

10%

My bad

Edited by stlucifer

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

image.png.a3cff3a317944a5200c25b097a797e27.png

That is almost a straight line over the last fortnight. It's still exponential but the coefficient and power is clearly a lot smaller than it was at the start.

They really ought to be showing some sign of a major slowdown after so many weeks of lockdown and it's worrying that it's really not kicking in yet.

7 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

image.png.a3cff3a317944a5200c25b097a797e27.png

image.png.15f821c4d3edaa09050d3df478726bd6.png

Not quite so dramatic looking when you change the graphs to Logarithmic. 

Still the same numbers. 

Whit?

It's exactly the same dreadful picture whichever one you look at.

A near-as-damn-it straight line logarithmic curve of deaths is an appallingly bad trend.

Am I being whooshed?

I am, aren't I?

f**k it. I've been whooshed by the bit in red.

Forget it. I'm being distracted by tears from Lucy having a go at my apparent glee over death rates.

Edited by oaksoft