Coronavirus

faraway saint

6 hours ago, Hiram Abiff said:

In the 2009 swine flu pandemic, the outbreak rose sharply initially in the UK, peaking at 110,000 cases in the last week of July and declining to 3,000 cases by the start of September

This proves that the lockdown was successful

Yet there was no lockdown....

During the 2009 outbreak we had an effective treatment/prophylactic in Tamiflu which we proscribed by the bucket load. On it;s own, Tamiflu considerably reduced the secondary infection rate. 

We don't have a similar treatment for Covid-19

Additionally, Swineflu was not able to infect individuals asymptotically and was therefore much easier to detect, trace and isolate. 

We did have lockdown, but only for those infected. 

14 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Group 2 consists of those who have no demonstrable understanding of computational modelling whatsoever and have no serious alternatives to provide but despite this they are strangely over-confident in their criticism. I think they are in denial but that's their right.  On this issue, I have no interest in wasting my time trying to change the minds of closed minded people. You are in this group with slarti, antrin 

Oh dear.  Poor me.

I'd better remove the lines about "working in and with computers and their systems using multiple languages (since Assembler in Second Generation machines)  from 1968 till the present day where I simply build and run websites for fun  and finance... "    from my CV.  :o

Computer may say yes to me, but oxter he say NO!  :(

omnipotent/impotent oxter knows best.

Edited by antrin

I do like Oaksoft's graphs though, and I'm proud to be in group one. Why can't folk appreciate the effort he puts into them, and discuss them rationally? It's not like many of us have got much else to do. I'm considering watching a crap looking horror about a possessed priest right now...

13 minutes ago, W6er said:

I do like Oaksoft's graphs though, and I'm proud to be in group one. Why can't folk appreciate the effort he puts into them, and discuss them rationally? It's not like many of us have got much else to do. I'm considering watching a crap looking horror about a possessed priest right now...

It's a pity the "Get a Life" shop is shut. :lol:

1 hour ago, insaintee said:

During the 2009 outbreak we had an effective treatment/prophylactic in Tamiflu which we proscribed by the bucket load. On it;s own, Tamiflu considerably reduced the secondary infection rate. 

Additionally, Swineflu was not able to infect individuals asymptotically and was therefore much easier to detect, trace and isolate. 

Unfortunately, later Cochrane reviews showed that the neuraminidase inhibitors, Tamiflu and Relenza, were next to useless, shortening the duration of illness by less than one day, and the number needed to treat to prevent one hospitalisation and one pneumonia in the at risk groups exceeded 100. Vast sums were spent on stockpiling huge quantities of these drugs on flawed evidence.

Edited by smcc

And we should only have lockdown this time round for the vulnerable, as they are doing in Sweden.

Largely offline enjoying the first day of spring. I'd recommend it to others.
I'm not Baz and I'm not getting drawn into dozens of pages of defensive arguments so I'll make this brief. I've had my say on this issue, posted my graphs and predictions, which I will continue to update when trends change and I've nothing much more to add other than the following.
There are 3 groups who've read my posts on this.
Group 1 consists of people who at least grasp what I am trying to do with my graphs and predictions. This groups includes cockles, w6er TPAK thing and maybe one or two others that I've forgotten. Not one of us is sitting hoping my numbers are accurate. Our parents and loved ones are as much at risk of this f**king thing as everyone else's and we like to have a feel for when things MIGHT get very risky for them. I'll update as the trend changes. Happy to answer questions from this group.
Group 2 consists of those who have no demonstrable understanding of computational modelling whatsoever and have no serious alternatives to provide but despite this they are strangely over-confident in their criticism. I think they are in denial but that's their right.  On this issue, I have no interest in wasting my time trying to change the minds of closed minded people. You are in this group with slarti, antrin and the f**kwit Biology teacher [mention=5]FTOF[/mention]who, since he no longer has a job at the moment teaching kids to the test, has decided he wants to persuade us that overnight he has become an expert in all things to do with genetics. :lol: He only has a partial foot in this group though.
Group 3 consists of people who are too stupid to engage with or deliberately lie and misrepresent things as fact when they are not and there really is no point engaging with them at all. shull, Dickson, hiram and a small number of others are in this group.@FTOF has the rest of his feet in this group as well.

To summarise.... he got it wrong.

2 minutes ago, smcc said:

Unfortunately, later Cochrane reviews showed that the neuraminidase inhibitors, Tamiflu and Relenza, were next to useless, shortening the duration of illness by less than one day, and the number needed to treat to prevent one hospitalisation and one pneumonia in the at risk groups exceeded 100. Vast sums were spent on stockpiling huge quantities of these drugs on flawed evidence.

That's not really what it showed. It showed it was less effective then hoped, but not useless. There are two things going on, one is reducing duration of viral shedding, the other is the viral load.  

No surprise that there were accusations of money not well spent as the pandemic failed to arrive, but why then was it so less severe here than it was in other countries that did not use Tamiflue?  

26 minutes ago, Hiram Abiff said:

To summarise.... he got it wrong.

It's a brilliant meltdown though.

He seems upset.:lol:

Anyway, aside from Sheldon's tantrum.

Testing to be ramped up hugely. 3 massive NHS worker testing centres in place by next Friday. One in Wembley. 3 or 4 to be added the week after. Target is to have 200 throughout the UK.

And I'll continue working tomorrow by producing work for pupils to complete online, answering pupil questions, developing course work for next year and planning an online curriculum for teaching from home when the new timetable starts in May. Nice to see yet another subject matter that Sheldon has no idea what he's talking about.:wink:

Edited by FTOF

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

I'm not Baz and I'm not getting drawn into dozens of pages of defensive arguments so I'll make this brief. I've had my say on this issue, posted my graphs and predictions, which I will continue to update when trends change and I've nothing much more to add other than the following.

Group 1 consists of people who at least grasp what I am trying to do with my graphs and predictions. This groups includes cockles, w6er TPAK thing and maybe one or two others that I've forgotten. Not one of us is sitting hoping my numbers are accurate. Our parents and loved ones are as much at risk of this f**king thing as everyone else's and we like to have a feel for when things MIGHT get very risky for them. I'll update as the trend changes. Happy to answer questions from this group.

Group 2 consists of those who have no demonstrable understanding of computational modelling whatsoever and have no serious alternatives to provide but despite this they are strangely over-confident in their criticism. I think they are in denial but that's their right.  On this issue, I have no interest in wasting my time trying to change the minds of closed minded people. You are in this group with slarti, antrin and the f**kwit Biology teacher @FTOFwho, since he no longer has a job at the moment teaching kids to the test, has decided he wants to persuade us that overnight he has become an expert in all things to do with genetics. :lol: He only has a partial foot in this group though.

Group 3 consists of people who are too stupid to engage with or deliberately lie and misrepresent things as fact when they are not and there really is no point engaging with them at all. shull, Dickson, hiram and a small number of others are in this group. @FTOF has the rest of his feet in this group as well.

There's a 4th group that I fall into that don't give a single f**k about your graphs 

Guest TPAFKATS
It's a brilliant meltdown though.
He seems upset.[emoji38]
Anyway, aside from Sheldon's tantrum.
Testing to be ramped up hugely. 3 massive NHS worker testing centres in place by next Friday. One in Wembley. 3 or 4 to be added the week after. Target is to have 200 throughout the UK.
And I'll continue working tomorrow by producing work for pupils to complete online, answering pupil questions, developing course work for next year and planning an online curriculum for teaching from home when the new timetable starts in May. Nice to see yet another subject matter that Sheldon has no idea what he's talking about.:wink:
Scottish gov announced this a day or two ago for NHS scotland

Guest TPAFKATS
Group 2 consists of those who have no demonstrable understanding of computational modelling whatsoever and have no serious alternatives to provide but despite this they are strangely over-confident in their criticism. I think they are in denial but that's their right.  On this issue, I have no interest in wasting my time trying to change the minds of closed minded people. You are in this group with slarti, antrin and the f**kwit Biology teacher [mention=5]FTOF[/mention]who, since he no longer has a job at the moment teaching kids to the test, has decided he wants to persuade us that overnight he has become an expert in all things to do with genetics. [emoji38] He only has a partial foot in this group though.
Group 3 consists of people who are too stupid to engage with or deliberately lie and misrepresent things as fact when they are not and there really is no point engaging with them at all. shull, Dickson, hiram and a small number of others are in this group.@FTOF has the rest of his feet in this group as well.

To be honest, I think you'd be better using graphs from official sources as it would stop a lot of folk questioning the veracity of the graphs. Not the trolls obviously, but the sensible folk who appreciate quality information at this time, even if it's not the answers they want to read.

14 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
1 hour ago, oaksoft said:
Group 2 consists of those who have no demonstrable understanding of computational modelling whatsoever and have no serious alternatives to provide but despite this they are strangely over-confident in their criticism. I think they are in denial but that's their right.  On this issue, I have no interest in wasting my time trying to change the minds of closed minded people. You are in this group with slarti, antrin and the f**kwit Biology teacher [mention=5]FTOF[/mention]who, since he no longer has a job at the moment teaching kids to the test, has decided he wants to persuade us that overnight he has become an expert in all things to do with genetics. emoji38.png He only has a partial foot in this group though.

To be honest, I think you'd be better using graphs from official sources as it would stop a lot of folk questioning the veracity of the graphs. Not the trolls obviously, but the sensible folk who appreciate quality information at this time, even if it's not the answers they want to read.

Indeed.

Unfortunately quality information is pretty thin on the ground.

31 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
2 hours ago, oaksoft said:
Group 2 consists of those who have no demonstrable understanding of computational modelling whatsoever and have no serious alternatives to provide but despite this they are strangely over-confident in their criticism. I think they are in denial but that's their right.  On this issue, I have no interest in wasting my time trying to change the minds of closed minded people. You are in this group with slarti, antrin and the f**kwit Biology teacher [mention=5]FTOF[/mention]who, since he no longer has a job at the moment teaching kids to the test, has decided he wants to persuade us that overnight he has become an expert in all things to do with genetics. emoji38.png He only has a partial foot in this group though.

Oh my, what an opinion you have of yourself. :lol:

38 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

21 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Indeed.

Unfortunately quality information is pretty thin on the ground.

So long as the data is accurate, it doesn't matter who composes the graph. Though I'm quite happy to read anybody's projections and opinions on the matter, to be honest. 

Some absolute arseholes have been saying that this lockdown thing is over the top, and that this won't kill many more people than a bad flu epidemic - like the one about five years ago, which killed about 27,000 people. 

I can't believe how f**king selfish these people can be. If this lockdown saves the life of just ONE person, then it will all have been worth it in my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, GMan said:

Some absolute arseholes have been saying that this lockdown thing is over the top, and that this won't kill many more people than a bad flu epidemic - like the one about five years ago, which killed about 27,000 people. 

I can't believe how f**king selfish these people can be. If this lockdown saves the life of just ONE person, then it will all have been worth it in my opinion. 

:lol: