Coronavirus

faraway saint

33,887 people have died and tested positive for coronavirus.

Leaving aside those who would have died anyway, the death toll stands at 11,295

Meanwhile around 350,000 people have died with the flu with around 150,000 of those deaths directly caused by the flu according to the WHO

5 coronavirus deaths in Sweden today where there is no lockdown

50 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

If it cant be built with a hammer,screwdriver and duck tape then it's no good to me.

7 hours ago, Dickson said:

It's not a surprise. To my mind they have done it wrong, as have we in the UK. It's the stupidity of trying to manage the virus using country borders. 

In Italy their healthcare system was overwhelmed in the North where the hot spot was. In the south their healthcare isn't so good and - as with all governments their intention was to "flatten the curve" to ease pressure on their healthcare system - so what the Italian government decided to do was to lock down the whole country. The thing is 450 miles away in the Molise region there has only been 127 confirmed cases of Coronavirus compared to 41.007 in Lombardy. To lock down the Molise Region for the last three weeks looks utterly futile and stupid. Whilst a lock down in Lombardy made perfect sense, it was quite obviously way too early to lock down Molise. 

In the UK we've done the same thing. We've chosen to lock down the whole of the UK despite the fact that the hot spots are clearly in London and Birmingham. Quite why the Highlands - 42 positive cases so far; Borders - 50 positive cases so far; Fife - 58 positive cases so far; Dumfries and Galloway  - 63 confirmed cases;  or Shetlands - 24 positive case so far is something only the Scottish Government knows! It seems bonkers to treat those vast areas - Highlands is 9,906 sq mi - in the same way as you would the tiny landmass that London sits - 607 sq mi - on where 5,299 positive cases have been detected so far! 

We do as Westminister tells us.

Anyway what about the Germans doing half a million tests a WEEK

That's how you get better results about dealing with it

Instead of dealing with the rich and famous

Package for the self-employed announced:

How do I qualify?

The scheme is accessible to self-employed people with a trading profit of less than £50,000 in 2018-2019, or an average annual trading profit of less than £50,000 from 2016 to 2019.

To qualify more than half of a self-employed person's income in these periods must come from self-employment.

Only those who are already in self-employment will qualify for the grant – the Chancellor said this was to prevent fraudulent claims.

When will I get help?

The grant will be paid in June in single lump sum instalments covering three months.

The HMRC will use the average trading profits from tax returns in 2016-2017, 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 to determine the size of the grant.

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/smallbusiness/article-8160509/The-Chancellor-announced-help-self-employed-does-mean-me.html

Just now, faraway saint said:

Wasn't this announced last week? 

I don't think the particulars had been announced, as the article was only published this morning. For example:

What if I haven't made any profits?

Unfortunately, you won't qualify for the grant. The same is true for those that are newly unemployed and that haven't filed any tax returns yet. 

What happens if my profits came to £50,001?

Unfortunately, you will not qualify, as help only applies to those with profits less than £50,000. Anyone with trading profits over that amount won't get the grant. 

The £50,000 cut-off is one of the strange elements of the scheme and will exclude many self-employed people who are not particularly wealthy and may be their families sole or main breadwinner. Even if they aren't their income is often essential for household finances.

Self employed workers, from plumbers and electricians, to management consultants, photographers and freelance designers could end up being hit by this. If they earn over £50,000, they get no help at all.

Family's - bah! I feel like writing a letter of complaint.

3 minutes ago, W6er said:

I don't think the particulars had been announced, as the article was only published this morning. For example:

Family's - bah! I feel like writing a letter of complaint.

The article says they are explaining the package announced last week. :blink:

The help will prove invaluable for many, but while it has been broadly welcomed, there has also been criticism of gaps within it. So, if you are self-employed can you get help? We explain. 

6 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

The article says they are explaining the package announced last week. :blink:

The help will prove invaluable for many, but while it has been broadly welcomed, there has also been criticism of gaps within it. So, if you are self-employed can you get help? We explain. 

Right, well if that's the case my apologies. I seem to recall Cornwall Saint being concerned about it, so I thought I would post the details.

10 hours ago, linwood buddie said:

I was going to draw a graph but cant find where the grandson put the crayons, just hope to feck it wasnt up his nose.

:)

That reminded me of something (amusing) that I read this morning.

A scientist with an innovative mind and wondering how to tackle an aspect of CV19 spread...

instead of just doing a pointless graph, he had other ideas...  💡 

:lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/mar/30/astrophysicist-gets-magnets-stuck-up-nose-while-inventing-coronavirus-device

if only we had someone, a scientist say...   on this forum who’d be so self-sacrifing on our behalf!

Fair dos to the young man.  He knows his situation was funny. And was happy to share.

Edited by antrin