Coronavirus

faraway saint

Guest TPAFKATS
Really? 
Lets review this. 
  • The Western Islands land mass is roughly TWICE the size of Greater London with a population of just 27,000. Western Isles recorded their first cases yesterday - 3 of them - most likely all from the same household.
  • The Shetlands land mass is just slightly smaller than Greater London with a population of 23,000. They've had 30 cases reported all in and on 11 of the last 14 days they reported zero new cases. 
  • Orkney's land mass is around half the size of Greater London with a population of 22,000. Orkney also recorded their first cases yesterday - 2 - again most likely from the same household.
Are you seriously claiming that putting those islanders under house arrest, banning them from pubs and restaurants, denying them from seeing their mothers on Mothers Day, and closing all their businesses down whilst the Scottish Government continued to run CalMac ferries to each of those islands actually had any sort of positive effect? 
Extending the lock down to the islands whilst allowing people from there to travel back and forwards to the mainland on Government run transport services was a ridiculously stupid knee jerk reaction to a situation in an overcrowded city some 700 miles away from each of those islands! 
That is obvious to anyone with any common sense. Don't worry though. I wouldn't expect you to get it. :rolleyes:

That's not a review. You've gone for whataboutery to distract from not k owing what you are talking about.

Oh and BTW, it's not common sense just because you think it should happen. Get a dictionary, look up definition of common.

7 hours ago, Dickson said:

Really? 

Lets review this. 

• The Western Islands land mass is roughly TWICE the size of Greater London with a population of just 27,000. Western Isles recorded their first cases yesterday - 3 of them - most likely all from the same household.
  • The Shetlands land mass is just slightly smaller than Greater London with a population of 23,000. They've had 30 cases reported all in and on 11 of the last 14 days they reported zero new cases. 
  • Orkney's land mass is around half the size of Greater London with a population of 22,000. Orkney also recorded their first cases yesterday - 2 - again most likely from the same household.

Are you seriously claiming that putting those islanders under house arrest, banning them from pubs and restaurants, denying them from seeing their mothers on Mothers Day, and closing all their businesses down whilst the Scottish Government continued to run CalMac ferries to each of those islands actually had any sort of positive effect? 

Extending the lock down to the islands whilst allowing people from there to travel back and forwards to the mainland on Government run transport services was a ridiculously stupid knee jerk reaction to a situation in an overcrowded city some 700 miles away from each of those islands! 

That is obvious to anyone with any common sense. Don't worry though. I wouldn't expect you to get it. :rolleyes:

Stu

I originally hail from one of the small isles off the west coast and the local population (certainly the ones I have spoken to or communicated with) are more than happy with the current situation. Their bigger issue is with the number of "second home" owners (which I am now one of) who headed to the island to turn lockdown into a holiday. On most of the islands there is a larger percentage of "vulnerable (mostly age related) category people" and the local health provision just isn't large enough to cope with any sort of outbreak.

I am lucky enough not to be from Coll but there is a piece on the BBC website by Rob Wainwright (ex-Lions skipper) which highlights the difficulties and effects of Covid-19 should it arrive on the island. You love your stats, go and have a look at how the islands have fared during previous viral epidemics that have arrived on their shores, it doesn't make pleasant reading.

45 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

On the Conspiracy Theory front,  I was just watching BBC Breakfast with Tesco saying it would be helpful to get a list of people with debilitating conditions so that they could be prioritised for home delivery - doubly dubious as they also sell Insurance.

For me one of the worse aspects of the current situation is the obvious spread of paranoia - you just don't know which to put on first your tinfoil hat or your face mask

Reveal hidden contents

. Actually that's obvious it's face mask first to stop the elastic in the mask from stretching. 😷

Both..................Stay Safe. :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, Dickson said:

Everyone is taking it seriously and the goal for everyone is preservation of life. It's just some of us don't agree with the choices being made by various political leaders. 

I personally think a lock down in the hotspots was perfectly reasonable when it happened. I was with Johnson and Witty on what appeared to be their strategy to that point. However imposing a lock down on the Scottish Highlands - for example - where there have only been 58 cases reported over a 9,906 sq mile land mass when they did was utterly bonkers. In Scotland currently it is Glasgow and Clyde that is showing the biggest rise in cases right now. Eight days after we actually started the lock down it's probably time that Glasgow was locked down - but still most of the rest of Scotland should be carrying on as normal. Orkney, for example, only reported it's first TWO cases today but they've been locked down same as the rest of us for 8 days so far - the Western Isles is in the same boat, first three cases reported today. And the Shetlands Islands have had fewer new cases reported this week than last week. Why should their pubs and restaurants be shut? 

As I've pointed out more than a few experts share my view, and certainly share Andy's. If you want to take your chases with experts - rather than the politicians who you seem to be favouring - then I suggest you start reading and you start to engage your brain. After all Nicola Sturgeon is as qualified in epidemiology as I am - and I'm just a fat "fanny" on a football forum

If you want a serious debate, and unlike "Andy" just cut and paste Google in its entirety then fine....

How would you exactly roll out social distancing per region ? As in any town/ city/ village over 1000 people must, but a croft on the east end of the Western Isles doesn't. You cant compare, as in the Western Isles will not be policed the same way...…….

These measures are obviously a direct result of law, and that law is governed by our Politian's , and it has to be consistent. There may well be far fewer people up north but there are also far fewer GPs, and hospitals, and getting those infected and showing signs is far harder logistically ….. so it balances out....

I don't agree with everything no- but I follow instructions given, because the one thing that is definite , is that this virus kills, NHS are frontline and we have a long way to go...………… at times like these ( i missed the wars) the nation needs to be one, yes it can question, but it also has to abide, otherwise you get nowhere....

I shall look forward to your measured response 

What happened to you in your life that made you so uncaring for the well being of other humans?

You display all the warmth of a penguin's cock.

Hilarious. My sides are splitting.

While you’re at it, have you got anymore jokes about actual people dying and dogging?

Or one of your homophobic jokes?

Or what about your speciality, misogynist jokes?

Thanks in advance [emoji106]

1 hour ago, Hiram Abiff said:

The FT’s Jemima Kelly said Oxford’s research should be taken with a large dose of salt because it was ‘not yet peer reviewed’, but Imperial’s paper hasn’t been peer reviewed either.

A more prudent approach would be for the government not to place too much confidence in any one model, but to encourage different teams of experts to come up with predictions of their own and challenge their rivals. That’s the tried-and-tested scientific method and it has been bizarre to see respected pundits and senior politicians simultaneously argue that we should be strictly guided by ‘the science’ and that any scientist expressing dissent from the prevailing orthodoxy is behaving ‘irresponsibly’.

This is the main problem. This has happened so quickly that it just hasn't been possible peer review research to the degree that is required. Rightly or wrongly it has probably come down to which model predicts the scenario which prevents the most deaths, whether the model is wholly reliable or not. Again, rightly or wrongly, the majority of the general public will judge a government on the number of lives lost, as opposed to the economic consequences. Certainly in the shorter term.

Given the unreliability of the data to date, it would a nightmare to peer review any work at the best of times, never mind just now.

FWIW, other than the complete failure to set up testing for the virus quickly enough, I don't really have any issue at with the current lockdown strategy. Although, I might not be expressing this viewpoint in a couple of weeks time!

And if respected Scientists, with a good track record, provide evidence that maybe there are improvements required with the modelling or tactics that we employ, then the quote below should be heeded.

The best way to defeat this enemy will be to keep faith with our commitment to intellectual freedom, not to abandon it.

Edited by FTOF

Being attacked for having a “contrary view” reminds me of the book burnings in 1930s Germany

The social distancing vigilantes who are taking it upon themselves to try and enforce their own interpretation of the governments flawed fascist guidelines and to shut down debate should wear brown shirts

I've noticed the "media" have switched a considerable amount of focus to the USA in their desire to give us bigger numbers. 

With Italy & Spain showing signs of evening out their desire to make this as dramatic as possible see's them quoting the new/total cases as a lead into the situation Stateside.

The reporting, and I only see TV as I don't bother with newspapers, has confirmed my opinion that the major outlets are run by simpletons, although the desire from the public to lap it up is also a factor.

The moronic questioning from various presenters is hard to believe at times, partly amusing, partly stunning in the pointless approach. 

Guest TPAFKATS

Hilarious. My sides are splitting.

While you’re at it, have you got anymore jokes about actual people dying and dogging?

Or one of your homophobic jokes?

Or what about your speciality, misogynist jokes?

Thanks in advance [emoji106]
Still waiting on you providing examples of any of these claims.

Now, is it slander or libel in Scots law?

1 minute ago, Dickson said:

Yeah I understand that. However on an island, if you stop the ferries from carrying passengers back and forward and stop flights you protect it from people coming in with the virus. You don't need to put people under house arrest and close down the pubs and restaurants. 

You still have to isolate for a period until there is a long enough "break" period from the last potential carrier leaving the island, a lot of the residents on the islands rely on people coming in and out of their houses (home helps, meals-on-wheels type stuff etc)…….the safest thing for them all to do is to follow the guidelines until they know the island is clear.  

Just did a quick search

On the topic called “Paisley St. James Station - can it be renamed?”

St. Ricky posted on 28 Feb:

“Paisley St Mirren has a ring to it”

Wilber then responded:

“So has my arse but I wouldn’t want a railway station named after it”

TPAFTWAT then replied

“I’m sure the old train line that that used to run past the Cadbury depot was known as the chocolate line...”

After I called out this distasteful post he deleted it

Not sure if he realises that that doesn’t delete my post which quoted it

I'm not going to add anything new to what I've been saying. 

What you need to bear in mind is that the stated strategy of the UK Government and of all the devolved governments has been to slow the spread of the virus, not to stop it from spreading completely. The goal has been to ensure hospitals aren't overwhelmed and it's been to buy the country some time to better equip the NHS with ventilators. 

IMO the initial response was correct. Public health and education messages instructing people to practice social distancing and to follow good hygiene practices. Locking down London 9 days ago would have been the right response IMO, whilst letting the rest of the country carry on as normal for a while longer. Unfortunately because of a lack of joined up thinking in London Sadiq Khan managed to f**k it up by cutting TFL trains meaning that key workers were being crammed on the trains that were running. And around the rest of the country we have been forced into a lock down situation despite our local hospitals being anything but overwhelmed.

The lock down may pause the rate of spread for a bit, but the minute the lock down the threat won't have gone away. 

No risk of catching coronavirus on the Tube according to Sadiq Khan on 3rd March....

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/03/coronavirus-london-tube-sadiq-khan-12339239/amp/