Coronavirus

faraway saint

3 hours ago, Tommy said:

You cant compare smoking which is legal to drink driving that is illegal.

People who break the law are cunts who don't care about others and society,

We may be flawed, but that doesn't mean we endangered others by our selfish actions. 

I was trying to be egalitarian, you don’t necessarily need to break the law to be a c**t, we can all be cunts. 

e.g people smoking outside the main entrance to hospitals, it’s not against the law but it is selfish and harming others. 

Guest TPAFKATS
It's not "tit for tat".
If you look at it one way, you can't simply ignore the other possibility.
I'm not ignoring the other possibility. That was my point. It's tit for tat, however we don't know what the breakdown is.

While people debate as to  whether the lockdown and associated measures are justified, they should consider the effects of the more severe form of the disease on those who survive it.

Being intubated from a ventilator is likely to cause some damage to your airways, the cost of supporting someone in an ICU is extremely high and has a massive effect on the staff involved. The damage that the effects of Covid is capable of doing to the lungs is substantial and can potentially affect life expectancy and quality of life in a substantial way. 

There are more reasons to react to this virus than the immediate mortality rate.  

15 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

remember the old joke

a lady goes on holiday with friends and calls her husband to check on things

"..and how is the cat?"

Sorry hen, the cat is dead"

"you cruel bastard, couldn't you have broken it a bit more gently and kept it going until I got home?"

"how could i do that?"

"you could have said she was on the roof and won't come down, then said she won't take any food and then told me she died when I got home-that would have softened the blow.

"Sorry love, I'll bear that in mind if anything horrible like that happens again"

"Ok,  So how is my Mum?"

"it's a bit weird, she went up on the roof yesterday and won't come down..."

Metaphorically, speaking, the media are currently telling us that Boris is off his food, has gone up on the roof and won't come down

You could have saved a lot of time and just said you think Boris is deed.

Jesus wept. 🤪🤪🤪

Listening to the radio earlier and they were talking about how the number of folk attending A&E has more than halfed.

This is no doubt been down to the Lockdown resulting in less folk getting admitted to the wards from there. Also with the cancellation of minor ops these measures will be freeing up staff, to help with staffing distribution appropriately for the protection of patients and staff in different locations.

I've no doubt most folk would know and appreciate this, but unfortunately some, thankfully a very small minority just want to try and politicise this instead of being grateful for the sacrifice some are doing for us ALL.

24 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Listening to the radio earlier and they were talking about how the number of folk attending A&E has more than halfed.

This is no doubt been down to the Lockdown resulting in less folk getting admitted to the wards from there. Also with the cancellation of minor ops these measures will be freeing up staff, to help with staffing distribution appropriately for the protection of patients and staff in different locations.

I've no doubt most folk would know and appreciate this, but unfortunately some, thankfully a very small minority just want to try and politicise this instead of being grateful for the sacrifice some are doing for us ALL.

I have a nurse in the family, not an A&E one admittedly, and they are hoping that one good thing to come out of this is that the public will take a more responsible attitude to A&E once we start to return to normal.

I was lucky enough to get my knee replacement in the last week of February and attend my GP surgery to collect sick notes,  it was always very busy with pretty much the same old faces when I went for my follow ups and physio immediately after the op but it's currently closed to the public and everything is being handled remotely.  It does make me wonder if a more efficient way of running GP medicine could result from this

37 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

The pubs being closed probably has lot to do with it. Interestingly, before COVID I watched a documentary about murder, they stated that 85% of murders in the UK were committed while the assailant was under the influence of alcohol! It will be interesting to see what the crime figures are like during this period of quarantine 

8 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

The pubs being closed probably has lot to do with it. Interestingly, before COVID I watched a documentary about murder, they stated that 85% of murders in the UK were committed while the assailant was under the influence of alcohol! It will be interesting to see what the crime figures are like during this period of quarantine 

A lot of scientists will be looking at this unique set of circumstances right now.

There's scope to test a whole series of hypotheses related to things like this.

51 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

People are also moving around less and there will be far fewer emergencies than before.

No car crashes, no sporting injuries, no work-related injuries, the list is endless.

This is certainly a fascinating period of history that we are going through

Just realised as well that the lockdown means people are probably not spending as much. When this is all over I do wonder whether there's going to be a massive movement towards early retirement or self employment as folk realise they can have a comfortable life on a lot less money than they thought. The longer this goes on, the more likely we are to see a dramatic societal change.

8 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

With people now drinking more in the house at the moment, I would guess more assaults but less murders.

Just glad the wife has short arms and legs  :boxing

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

People are also moving around less and there will be far fewer emergencies than before.

No car crashes, no sporting injuries, no work-related injuries, the list is endless.

Just realised as well that the lockdown means people are probably not spending as much. When this is all over I do wonder whether there's going to be a massive movement towards early retirement or self employment as folk realise they can have a comfortable life on a lot less money than they thought. The longer this goes on, the more likely we are to see a dramatic societal change.

If be very surprised if there's any real changes.

People are creatures of habit and will, IMO, very quickly revert back to where they were before this situation.

Again, time will tell. 🙄

36 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

If be very surprised if there's any real changes.

People are creatures of habit and will, IMO, very quickly revert back to where they were before this situation.

Again, time will tell. 🙄

A sizeable proportion of the population will now have a room put aside to fill up with pasta and bog roll.

Just in case...…………...:rolleyes:

It wasn't me as I know I haven't wrote any anti-semitic jokes.

It seems to have posted since you.

The person in question seems a little unstable and imagining stuff. If anyone knows it, could they check up on them.
So if it isn't you and it (definitely) isn't me, it must be shull, he was the only other person involved.

The guy you've been defending's just accused you of being an anti-Semite, shull...

[emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]

Guest TPAFKATS
I'm not sure we will see a dramatic increase in folk opting for self employment given how things worked out for a lot of them, especially those with less than 3 years accounts.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

When this is over, the only massive movement I see happening is a large increase in the number of unemployed :(

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

I don't know why you think people are spending less. Supermarkets are raking it in right now. They can't keep up with demand. I think people are spending differently. They can't go out for meals and drink so they are eating in and drinking at home. Probably doing more of both given the boredom issue. As for living on less money. Once life returns to normal people will revert. In fact they could go way over the top in a, kind of, "Feck me. I can get that now. I'll get three". A new kind of hoarding. 

Guest TPAFKATS

Whitty admitted at this afternoons Downing Street press conference that "Germany got ahead of us on testing. There's a lot to learn from that."

Raab, in the same Q and A refused to confirm the commitment to testing 100, 000 a week.

4 hours ago, Tommy said:

When this is over, the only massive movement I see happening is a large increase in the number of unemployed :(

Unfortunately I agree with you Tommy , even all the folk that have taken temporary work in the supermarkets etc will be back on the dole and they will need to reapply for UC ,back to waiting weeks for any payments.