Coronavirus

faraway saint

9 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:
10 hours ago, oaksoft said:
People are also moving around less and there will be far fewer emergencies than before.
No car crashes, no sporting injuries, no work-related injuries, the list is endless.
This is certainly a fascinating period of history that we are going through
Just realised as well that the lockdown means people are probably not spending as much. When this is all over I do wonder whether there's going to be a massive movement towards early retirement or self employment as folk realise they can have a comfortable life on a lot less money than they thought. The longer this goes on, the more likely we are to see a dramatic societal change.

I'm not sure we will see a dramatic increase in folk opting for self employment given how things worked out for a lot of them, especially those with less than 3 years accounts.

As Tommy says above, there is likely toΒ be mass unemployment.

That mightΒ drive someΒ of that self employment.

Edited by oaksoft

9 hours ago, stlucifer said:

I don't know why you think people are spending less. Supermarkets are raking it in right now. They can't keep up with demand. I think people are spending differently. They can't go out for meals and drink so they are eating in and drinking at home. Probably doing more of both given the boredom issue. As for living on less money. Once life returns to normal people will revert. In fact they could go way over the top in a, kind of, "Feck me. I can get that now. I'll get three". A new kind of hoarding.Β 

When people fear for their jobs they typically spend less.

The longer this lockdown goes on the more likely that many people on furlough or on unpaid leave won't have jobs to go back to. I am sure I read that 1 million people have tried to sign on in the last two weeks alone.

The supermarket thing is a survival instinct and is temporary. Anyone who can thinkΒ ahead a few months will be sensibly cutting back on non-essentials. Once people get into that mindset of worrying about their jobs it can take years for them to relax enough to start spending again. We've seen this happen repeatedly over the decades. I remember John Major's shoots of recovery frustrations. Years of sluggish recovery after the ERM thing.

Β 

The fact is that several hospitals in England have had to refuse new admissions over the past few days and I have heard various emergency department and ICU consultants on the radio saying that they are near the stage of not coping with the influx.

Guest TPAFKATS
It's good to see that, in a time if crisis, this forum comes together in solidarity.

Oh, wait ...

[emoji38]
An utterly bizarre like from the arbroath troll for that post.

Guest TPAFKATS
The fact is that several hospitals in England have had to refuse new admissions over the past few days and I have heard various emergency department and ICU consultants on the radio saying that they are near the stage of not coping with the influx.
While we have still to "peak", or more likely plateau, and Japan is declaring a state of emergency other countries are looking as though they may be coming out of this.

Wuhan just came out of lock down.

Closer to UK - Norway, Denmark, Austria and Czech Republic are also looking at ending their lock down so there is some (potentially) positive news.

16 hours ago, stlucifer said:

I don't know why you think people are spending less. Supermarkets are raking it in right now. They can't keep up with demand. I think people are spending differently. They can't go out for meals and drink so they are eating in and drinking at home. Probably doing more of both given the boredom issue. As for living on less money. Once life returns to normal people will revert. In fact they could go way over the top in a, kind of, "Feck me. I can get that now. I'll get three". A new kind of hoarding.Β 

I think the majority of people are definitely spending less. Can't speak for others but I would find it near impossible to spend in a supermarket what I spend monthly in the pub, rail travel, lunch, dinners, even stuff like buying a coffee or a snack or buying something new to wear. We did a shopping for two, last week that'll likely last three weeks. It was just under Β£100 (which you could spend on one meal in a restaurant or night out)Β and I struggle to think what else I'll spend money on until the next shop. Β£100 doesn't come close to covering my travel expenses alone for three weeks as well for comparison.Β 

I agree that when this is done, people will likely spend similar money and maybe more in the short-term. Where I see the difference going forward, is in ways of working. When companies see WFH is a lot more capable for many people, they could utilise it to save money on office space. It also makes so much sense to cut carbon footprintsΒ on travel/ office spaceΒ and the crowding issues in built up areas.Β 

I am spending the same as before.Β 

Greggs closing was Β a blow .

McHargs the Bakers have come to the rescue and I may stick with them once the fake virus is over and we get back to semi normal.Β 

I did struggle for a Chinese Takeaway for a few days but eventually found one that opened from Thursday to Sunday.Β 

Life is good presently, even better with no shite football to pollute the planet.Β 

36 minutes ago, shull said:

I am spending the same as before.Β 

Greggs closing was Β a blow .

McHargs the Bakers have come to the rescue and I may stick with them once the fake virus is over and we get back to semi normal.Β 

I did struggle for a Chinese Takeaway for a few days but eventually found one that opened from Thursday to Sunday.Β 

Life is good presently, even better with no shite football to pollute the planet.Β 

Rumours that Greggs are starting a drone deliveryΒ Β service - I reckon it’s just pie in the sky

With all this talk of not enough testing for COVID going on, iΒ may just have the solution!Β 
St Mirren stewards, yes that motley crew of part time health experts. Remember how they stepped into the breach for the Hearts game β€œ stewards will be checking the crowd for anyone who looks ill and they will not be allowed entry to the stadium” 

This could be a game changer, do all stewards have this superpower? Every town and city the breadth of the world with a football club could have cheap (Β£9 ph ?) testing facilities on there door step.Β I am writing an email to Boris and Nicola ASAPΒ 

8 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

With all this talk of not enough testing for COVID going on, iΒ may just have the solution!Β 
St Mirren stewards, yes that motley crew of part time health experts. Remember how they stepped into the breach for the Hearts game β€œ stewards will be checking the crowd for anyone who looks ill and they will not be allowed entry to the stadium” 

This could be a game changer, do all stewards have this superpower? Every town and city the breadth of the world with a football club could have cheap (Β£9 ph ?) testing facilities on there door step.Β I am writing an email to Boris and Nicola ASAPΒ 

You're not taking this seriously. πŸ˜‰

3 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

It's good to see that, in a time if crisis, this forum comes together in solidarity.

Oh, wait ...

emoji38.png

Actually if you look at it, on one side there's Faraway, shull, Dickson and hiram.

Whilst that doesn't necessarily invalidate that side of the argument, it's always worth considering who is on the same side as you (3rd person).

3 hours ago, smcc said:

Yep. We are absolutely on the edge here.

It's surprising that so many people are STILL not convinced about the seriousness of all of this.

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

You're such a lowlife and desperate for political scoring you would be smug as feck if this turned out to be true.

What an embarrassing cretin you are.Β πŸ‘Ž

FFS. Go and have a day off from the forum bud. It's a win for everyone if you do that.

Edited by oaksoft

Guest TPAFKATS
FFS. Go and have a day off from the forum bud. It's a win for everyone if you do that.
He's still only interested in point scoring and getting the last word.