Coronavirus

faraway saint

Guest TPAFKATS

Don't be so ridiculous.

He never said the actor in the picture must have been using sunbeds, he was saying that for oaky to look like the actor, then oaky would have to have overused sunbeds. It's just the same as, if the guy in the picture had been 8ft tall, he had said that it was oaky after he had been put in a grow bag, or if the guy in the picture had been obese and he had said it was oaky after eating all the toilet rolls etc, etc, etc.

I don't think you have really thought this through, you've just automatically jumped on a comment.

Also, your comments regarding "unconscious racism" - how do you know it's not you "unconsciously overreacting" instead? Just asking?

Why mention sunbeds at all?

You get to look more black by using sunbeds is what he's saying.

The original joke works without having to make bring race or skin colour into it. By doing so, he's acknowledging that he thinks skin colour is relevant in the joke.

Guest TPAFKATS
Eh??? This is desperate stuff. 

I’m far from an apologist for racist patter, but where the f**k does FS’s post suggest black people are black because they take sunbeds??

Surely the gist of the “joke” (with the exaggerated context that jokes usually have) was that Oaky would need to take a helluva lot of sunbeds to look like the chap in the photo. Think it’s funny or don’t. That’s your prerogative, but it’s not bloody racist. Certainly not in the way you’re suggesting anyway.

Yours and FS’s views on this debate are polarised enough that you should be able to challenge him on the debate at hand, without sinking to this embarrassing level of desperation to score points. 

The point is that the skin cour isn't relevant to the joke. The joke works as a comment on behaviour of folk in a supermarket during the current crisis we are going through.

That's the joke.

Bringing in the colour of the guys skin is irrelevant, but faraway felt he had to do this.

Suggesting that using sunbeds would make you black is racist.

6 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

The point is that the skin cour isn't relevant to the joke. The joke works as a comment on behaviour of folk in a supermarket during the current crisis we are going through.

That's the joke.

Bringing in the colour of the guys skin is irrelevant, but faraway felt he had to do this.

White people pay to use sunbeds to turn brown.  

I haven't read the joke, but it doesn't sound racist...or funny. I'd prefer a funny racist joke to be honest. 

Anyway, getting back to the Coronavirus, I have witnessed a few rather unpleasant scenes whilst out at supermarkets. Today's was probably the worst. A guy was removing his bicycle lock, which was quite a long chain surrounded by plastic. He unlocked it and then whipped it off the bike so fast that it nearly hit a passerby, who then accused the cyclist of having done it deliberately. The cyclist then aggressively told his fellow shopper, using rather coarse language, that if he had observed social distancing and kept two meters away that wouldn't have been a possibility. The cyclist would have murdered the other guy, who backed off. This is the third occasion that I have witnessed this sort of incident, though.

The thought did occur to me that a lock like that would make an excellent tool for defending oneself:

1403369350_bikelock.jpg.0ce88f8c71bbd425e8196384d17e290b.jpg

At nearly £100 though, it's more than I paid for my bike.

14 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Is it starting to look like Sweden has humped it? Big week next week for the European handling of Coronavirus I think. 

1DF5E1FD-BAB0-410C-8934-461B0AA70A36.png

Food for thought, here are some facts about Sweden's neighbour Finland.

Surveys conducted by Gallop confirms that Finland was voted the happiest country in the world in 2018 and 2019.

More to the current situation. Finland has almost the same population as Scotland but four times our size.

Total number of deaths 49. Let me repeat 49. In hospital 236. In Intensive Care 81 at 11th April 2020. 

The measures taken by the Government was to close the border of the district (county) which has the capital Helsinki  on the 28th March.

Within this district a third of the population live. All exits/entries are manned by the Police and Conscripts ( Bring this back here)

and only essential travel out or in has been permitted. Tightened the land borders with Russia, Sweden and Norway until at least 13th May.

It is now expected to re-open the district border which will again allow free movement on the 19th April.

It should be remembered that the chances of this actually causing death is very, very small.

At the moment the percentage of deaths per million is .01% 

You could probably reduce that even more as there's strong suspicion the numbers are flawed/exaggerated by as much as 66% or 88%

It should also be said the vast majority of people are doing what they are told.

I've been, pleasantly, surprised the reports of people ignoring the instructions have been much less than I anticipated, especially with the weather being decent down sowf.

IF we get another 2 or 3 days with no significant rises we should see the numbers start to drop.

The next concern is what will happen when the rules are "relaxed".

Oh, as for this "10 years of under funding for the NHS" being touted by the forum dullard, the NHS has always been underfunded, it's a money draining machine.

That's another debate altogether. 

Right now it's more to do with what the public do, not the NHS or government. 

Edited by faraway saint

3 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

He mentioned sunbeds because the guy in the picture has a much darker complexion than Oaky. Oaky's skin, being a "white" dude (is that racist?), would get darker (not "more black") if he used sunbeds, though I doubt it would ever get as dark as the guy in the picture no matter how much he used them but, seeing as it was only "a joke", there really is no need for 100% accuracy.

Yes, the original joke works without bringing race or skin colour into it, but only because the original joke is a generality and not aimed at one specific person who, incidentally, is not black. He doesn't think that skin colour is relevant to the original joke, he thinks it's relevant for placing Oaky as the butt of the joke.

You never said how you knew that it wasn't you that was "unconsciously overreacting".

Would he have mentioned racism if anybody else had posted this? 

Think we all know the answer to that. 

1 minute ago, Slartibartfast said:

Quite probably, actually.

A few months ago he was calling me a racist because I, basically, asked who appointed certain people as spokespeople for all black people. The answer is, obviously, that they are self appointed (or appointed by a very, very small group of others) and their opinions on how black people should be described as a group are no more valid than any random black person on the street. He even objected to the term "half black" even though I know a few half black people who describe themselves as such.

To me, it is not for some faux outraged white dude to say how a black person should be referred to, it is for each individual black person to say "I actually prefer the term ...", if the situation ever arises.

"Race" is a man-made construct in the first place and has no "real" meaning biologically and so the term "racism" has no "real" meaning either, it's just a term for a specific type of bigotry. I'll stop now before I ramble on for several pages.

Thanks feck, you'd be joining Baz on the "3 post" rule. :rolleyes:

Guest TPAFKATS

He mentioned sunbeds because the guy in the picture has a much darker complexion than Oaky. Oaky's skin, being a "white" dude (is that racist?), would get darker (not "more black") if he used sunbeds, though I doubt it would ever get as dark as the guy in the picture no matter how much he used them but, seeing as it was only "a joke", there really is no need for 100% accuracy.

Yes, the original joke works without bringing race or skin colour into it, but only because the original joke is a generality and not aimed at one specific person who, incidentally, is not black. He doesn't think that skin colour is relevant to the original joke, he thinks it's relevant for placing Oaky as the butt of the joke.

You never said how you knew that it wasn't you that was "unconsciously overreacting".
Thanks for agreeing that he's brought skin colour into a joke.

10 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

That's the joke.

We disagree completely mate.

Let’s leave it at that. There’s no facts here. Only opinions. 

Guest TPAFKATS

He's literally reposted a joke and had to reference skin colour when it's nothing to do with the joke being made.

He posted a picture and the fact that the guy in it was black was so significant to faraway saint that he had to reference it by making a crass reference to someone becoming black from using sunbeds.

That doesn't make it racist.

2 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

He's literally reposted a joke and had to reference skin colour when it's nothing to do with the joke being made.

He posted a picture and the fact that the guy in it was black was so significant to faraway saint that he had to reference it by making a crass reference to someone becoming black from using sunbeds.

:lol: