Coronavirus

faraway saint

4 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

My local shop has got lots of Tunnock's Caramel Wafers and, my preference, Caramel Logs.

Just saying. emoji38.png

Yum!  Caramel Logs!

years since I saw wan o’ them....

don’t do them, doon here. :(

3 hours ago, bazil85 said:

There’s likely a caveat to this though giving the long Easter weekend. Cautious optimism sure but we’re far from out of the woods. 

33 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Genuine question...

Are the people who have died in nursing homes been included in those figures?

I was told not, but that they are increasing at an alarming rate.

Haven't seen any official comments tho.

aye that useless death factoid is only for hospital deaths , in England... no others are included...

...as I see others have now pointed out.

53 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Heard of this in a Scottish care home too. Patient's gp decided not to record COVID19 on death certificate despite other residents having it on theirs. Went with a respiratory condition, nursing staff certain it was covid as similar to others and unlike any other respiratory death they had witnessed over many years.

Doubt we will ever get fully accurate numbers.

Certain?

Suspected, would be more accurate.

As you say, a lot of the data is lacking in accuracy.

8 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I would imagine that the deaths of those not in hospital would mirror the same trends as those in hospital so, even though the figures would be inflated, the trend may well be the same.

Care homes are unique and, potentially, much worse, albeit the numbers, in relation to the general population are small. 

I'm still unconvinced these additions, including the deaths in the community, will be significant, unless they add the total so far onto one day. 

51 minutes ago, Hiram Abiff said:

49 deaths in Sweden over the past 3 days

no lockdown 

Experiment in Sweden is looking like it has failed. Already talk of them locking down further. 

we know your priority is economy over human life but the lockdown isn’t ending now. some things are more important than stimulating economic growth. 

991DD298-C989-4284-B739-49A8215ECAFC.png

9 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Care homes are unique and, potentially, much worse, albeit the numbers, in relation to the general population are small. 

I'm still unconvinced these additions, including the deaths in the community, will be significant, unless they add the total so far onto one day. 

I agree that the close proximity and general health of those in care homes means the contraction and resultant deaths would probably be greater but the percentage fall in contracting the virus and therefore deaths may mirror that of the rest of the community. I'm no Oakie so it is just a guess.

New Zealand with a population similar to Scotland has had a total of 9 deaths. Why are the media not asking questions of our government and so called experts about how they have handled this crisis?
https://shorthand.radionz.co.nz/coronavirus-timeline/
We should have learned from others experience. 
They had a faster, measured four phase closedown with public fully informed and onboard.
Their PM didn't day "don't panic buy", but instead, calmly and clearly explained how shopping and fuel supplies would be kept going.

Re care-homes... They have them in New Zealand too. I imagine their total figure includes them as they have nothing to hide.

As a country, they took it seriously early on due to strong leadership.

Here in EK... There are now around a dozen Chinese restaurants open for home deliveries.

People are advising where to get them from.

One take away meal needs...

Non essential staff to travel to work.
Delivery drivers at risk of catching or spreading the virus.
Goods passing from one area to another.
Restaurants needing supplies...
Supermarkets or Companies to supply food using non essential workers... .... Etc etc

No wonder this country has so many deaths when selfish brainless wonders are more concerned about sourcing a chop suey than saving lives!

14 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

No wonder this country has so many deaths when selfish brainless wonders are more concerned about sourcing a chop suey than saving lives!

Like it or not, society has created a few generations of individuals who cannot cook a basic meal.

A significant proportion of the population rely on takeaway food to get by on a day to day basis.

Imagine a single mother trying to feed three kids, when you lack the basic skills to cook, or you are trying to vary the food choice for your kids who have been coped up in a high flat for three weeks.

Maybe it's your outlook that is selfish.

6 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

New Zealand
5 million population
1,239 cases.
1 death.

Scotland
5.5 million population
6,067 cases
575 deaths (possibly many more not recorded)

Have we gone back to square one and started to compare apples with pears again?

11 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

New Zealand
5 million population
1,239 cases.
1 death.

Scotland
5.5 million population
6,067 cases

An article on the subject from last weeks Guardian - like the article & FTOF says NZ has substantial advantages.

Have Australia and New Zealand stopped Covid-19 in its tracks?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/09/have-australia-new-zealand-stopped-covid-19-in-its-tracks-coronavirus

Edited by Bud the Baker

7 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

New Zealand
5 million population
1,239 cases.
1 death.

Scotland
5.5 million population
6,067 cases

New Zealand 1,366 cases

9 deaths

Still remarkably low figures.

It is much larger than Scotland, (10% larger than the UK) so, possibly less densely populated than Scotland/UK could be a contributory factor? 

13 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

New Zealand 1,366 cases

9 deaths

Still remarkably low figures.

It is much larger than Scotland, (10% larger than the UK) so, possibly less densely populated than Scotland/UK could be a contributory factor? 

Indeed.

One of the main factors in the spread of disease is population density. That will certainly have some bearing on the situation.

I was going to post figures but couldn't be arsed. NZ is about three times the size of Scotland in terms of surface area.

Finland was quoted last week, and it's even bigger.

However, both NZ and Australia, seem to have learned from Boris and his band of idiot's incompetence and made a quick decision to lockdown the population.

My mate is currently living in Guatemala. As soon as this all started their president ordered an army enforced curfew. Although, as he said, the locals are used to a significant military presence in normal life.

Edited by FTOF

Like it or not, society has created a few generations of individuals who cannot cook a basic meal.
A significant proportion of the population rely on takeaway food to get by on a day to day basis.
Imagine a single mother trying to feed three kids, when you lack the basic skills to cook, or you are trying to vary the food choice for your kids who have been coped up in a high flat for three weeks.
Maybe it's your outlook that is selfish.
Seriously?
You think someone in this day in age... In an emergency... Is incapable of watching a three minute YouTube channel or hell, if it came to it, heating up some fish fingers?

You think that more important than saving lives?

[emoji50][emoji50][emoji50][emoji850][emoji850][emoji850][emoji34][emoji34][emoji34]

Indeed.
One of the main factors in the spread of disease is population density. That will certainly have some bearing on the situation.
I was going to post figures but couldn't be arsed. NZ is about three times the size of Scotland in terms of surface area.
Finland was quoted last week, and it's even bigger.
However, both NZ and Australia, seem to have learned from Boris and his band of idiot's incompetence and made a quick decision to lockdown the population.
My mate is currently living in Guatemala. As soon as this all started their president ordered an army enforced curfew. Although, as he said, the locals are used to a significant military presence in normal life.
But are the Chinese restaurants allowed to do home deliveries in Guatamala? [emoji50][emoji12]

7 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Seriously?
You think someone in this day in age... In an emergency... Is incapable of watching a three minute YouTube channel or hell, if it came to it, heating up some fish fingers?

You think that more important than saving lives?

emoji50.pngemoji50.pngemoji50.pngemoji850.pngemoji850.pngemoji850.pngemoji34.pngemoji34.pngemoji34.png

A pretty flippant answer, and again doesn't take into account, the hugely varied and hugely stressful personal circumstances that some people are living in just now.

I think enabling particular families to feed them selves is just as important as saving lives.

I hold my hands up.

I have been completely wrong.

This has turned out to far far worse than I expected.

And the numbers of Covid 19 deaths I see reported on the TV are vastly underestimated.

Its a catastrophe beyond what I could have imagined and I will now shut up.

As must of you already knew, I’m an arse.

15 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Both NZ and Oz went to lockdown and quarantined for 14 days all arrivals from 3rd Feb in NZ’s case with Oz following very soon after. This had nothing to do with learning from Boris.

My mate and his wife went to Oz on the 9th March, returned on 25th March.

No checks in or out, just saying. 

Edited by faraway saint

20 minutes ago, Hiram Abiff said:

I hold my hands up.

And the numbers of Covid 19 deaths I see reported on the TV are vastly underestimated.

That's very magnanimous of you. Respect 

Even more frightening where COVID19 was a factor 

This is going to be devastating when it really hits South America and Africa, and I hope the world does not get all insular  

24 minutes ago, Hiram Abiff said:

I hold my hands up.

:lol:

Till tomorrow. :rolleyes: