Coronavirus

faraway saint

1 minute ago, windae cleaner said:

Yes i did but not at the moment

Also a few of our customers have passed away as i found out during the week  but they aren't the ones i mentioned before

This week has really opened my eyes about this

I just switch off from the media they just report half truths

Wow! That's quite alarming. @Cookie Monster seems to think it was outrageous for me to ask, but I wondered why I don't personally know a single person who's died of it and you knew of three people this weekend who've died of it. The conclusion I came to was that you will meet a lot of elderly people through your profession. It wasn't a joke.

Anyway, very sad. 

1 minute ago, Cookie Monster said:
14 minutes ago, W6er said:
You don't happen to clean the windows of several nursing homes, by any chance?

Sick.

See above. 

20 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Sunday Times with a pretty damming article, particularly from a murdoch paper, about Johnson skipping cobra meetings, ignoring scientists warnings and ppe concerns.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-38-days-when-britain-sleepwalked-into-disaster-hq3b9tlgh

https://healthmedia.blog.gov.uk/2020/04/19/response-to-sunday-times-insight-article/

Each claim has a response....................here's one for you to pour cold water on.:byebye

Claim -  It was unusual for the Prime Minister to be absent from COBR and is normally chaired by the Prime Minister.

Response - This is wrong. It is entirely normal and proper for COBR to be chaired by the relevant Secretary of State. Then Health Secretary Alan Johnson chaired COBR in 2009 during H1N1. Michael Gove chaired COBR as part of No Deal planning. Transport Secretary Grant Shapps chaired COBR during the collapse of Thomas Cook. Mr Hancock was in constant communication with the PM throughout this period.

At this point the World Health Organisation had not declared COVID19 a ‘Public Health Emergency of International Concern’, and only did so only 30 January. Indeed, they chose not to declare a PHEIC the day after the COBR meeting.

Edited by faraway saint

Sweden has proved that a total lockdown wasn’t required to flatten the curve

The debate will soon turn from why the government didn’t act sooner to why the government totally over reacted

Watching and listening to the backtracking is going to be interesting 

as will listening to the usual suspecting whining about the colossal austerity that will emerge from the wrecked economy when they supported wrecking the economy 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-19/sweden-says-controversial-covid-19-strategy-is-proving-effective

EB410DC9-5646-431F-A5F8-054CDC9BD9F8.jpeg

On 4/15/2020 at 4:58 PM, Hiram Abiff said:

It’s interesting that yesterday’s ONS figures showed 6,082 excess deaths but only 3,475 Covid 19 related deaths

Now this could be because Covid 19 deaths aren’t getting mentioned on the death certificate

but is this actually the case?

is the lockdown itself playing a part in all these excess deaths?

Nicola Sturgeon appeared to allude to this yesterday

The lockdown will kill more than the virus in the long run. Let’s hope it’s but also killing more than the virus in the short term

The lockdown will kill more than the virus, but only in the context of virus deaths as seen in lockdown conditions 

Sweden has proved that a total lockdown wasn’t required to flatten the curve

The debate will soon turn from why the government didn’t act sooner to why the government totally over reacted

Watching and listening to the backtracking is going to be interesting 

as will listening to the usual suspecting whining about the colossal austerity that will emerge from the wrecked economy when they supported wrecking the economy 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-19/sweden-says-controversial-covid-19-strategy-is-proving-effective

EB410DC9-5646-431F-A5F8-054CDC9BD9F8.jpeg.5edc16549d1d4aa209b0572912231c2c.jpeg

Nice chart, just trying to work out how there could be a negative amount. [emoji54]

Worked it out after reading it correctly, there has been a constant increase of patients requiring treatment for C19 and Sweden has the greatest number of deaths in Scandinavia from it.

45 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Nice chart, just trying to work out how there could be a negative amount. emoji54.png

Worked it out after reading it correctly, there has been a constant increase of patients requiring treatment for C19 and Sweden has the greatest number of deaths in Scandinavia from it.

Yes, you need to add all those blocks up to get the total numbers as they are relative numbers, not absolute.

Just one example of how to abuse statistics to portray the image you want to portray.

A professor at the University of Oxford has argued the peak was actually about a month ago, a week before lockdown started on March 23, and that the draconian measures people are now living with were unnecessary.

Professor Carl Heneghan claims data shows infection rates halved after the Government launched a public information campaign on March 16 urging people to wash their hands and keep two metres (6'6") away from others. 

He said ministers 'lost sight' of the evidence and rushed into a nationwide quarantine six days later after being instructed by scientific advisers who he claims have been 'consistently wrong' during the crisis. 

Professor Heneghan hailed Sweden - which has not enforced a lockdown despite fierce criticism - for 'holding its nerve' and avoiding a 'doomsday scenario'.

Professor Heneghan said 'The peak of deaths occurred on April 8, and if you understand that then you work backwards to find the peak of infections. That would be 21 days before then, right before the point of lockdown.'  

He refers to a delay in the time it takes for an infected person to fall seriously ill and die - three weeks on average.

He claims that if the Government accepts that deaths peaked on April 8, then it must mean that infections were at their highest around three weeks prior.

Data shows the rate of Britons with upper respiratory tract infections dropped from 20 per 100,000 people on March 15 to around 12 per 100,000 just six days later.

The figures do not relate solely to coronavirus but may be a good indicator because so few people were being tested for the deadly infection. 

Explaining the logic behind his claim, Professor Heneghan said: 'The UK Government keeps saying it is using the best science. 

'But it appears to be losing sight of what’s actually going on. We’ve been getting scientific advice that is consistently wrong.

'It has failed to look at all the data and understand when the peak of infections actually occurred.'

He added: 'Fifty per cent reductions in infections occurred on March 16, right when hand washing and social distancing was introduced.

'If you go look at what’s happening in Sweden, they are holding their nerve and they haven’t had doomsday scenario. Our Government has got it completely the wrong way around.'

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Good news for everybody, except Oaky, today's numbers show a further fall from yesterdays low number.

Sunday 596, today 449.

Still surprised the fatalities outside hospitals in England haven't been recorded or added to the total? 

It's not good news for me, as I am an undertaker. :thumbsdown

19 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Looking like we could have seen the peak of the current spread and fatalities.

My concern is what the exit strategy will be and would that see a further spread?

Anyhow, at this point, the number of deaths seem to be evening out or dropping. 

image.png.4dd54926bb30d1dc56b1ba8546af1771.png

Looking forward to an evening out once we get back to normal 🍻

7 minutes ago, HSS said:

Looking forward to an evening out once we get back to normal 🍻

By most accounts pubs/eating establishments are looking like being last on the list to be opened back up.

I'm looking forward to getting a holiday abroad.

Were booked for Portugal early June, have pencilled in Majorca for September but even that's looking dodgy. 

Due to other circumstances wasn't abroad last year so I'm missing my time in the sun. 

Just listened to to a man who phoned in to Radio Scotland.  He had been working in China for some time and happened to be in Scotland on a family emergency visit when the lock-down occurred. He has kept in contact with his Chinese fiancee who teaches English to the locals). He tells that there is still virtual lock-down with only a few restaurants open and that there is no plan to open up the schools for several months. At present only Chinese nationals are being allowed into China and he has no prospect of a return to see his fiancee and child.

Professor Linda Bauld from the University of Edinburgh says on BBC Newsnight:

”unintended consequences of lockdown may well outweighs what we do to protect people from the virus.

In Scotland, people seeing their GP for cancer symptoms is down by over 70%, visits to A&E are down by about 50%. It’s worrying.

We’re also seeing from ONS and National Register of Scotland that all cause mortality is up and a lot of that is not explained by Covid 19 so there’s going to be real consequences, not only to those not using the NHS but, thinking about the mental health outcomes, some of the other behavioural risk outcomes we know that cause disease, we know that domestic violence has increased. These are big consequences of the lockdown and the longer we continue the lockdown, the worse these consequences will be”

Edited by Hiram Abiff

19 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Good news for everybody, except Oaky, today's numbers show a further fall from yesterdays low number.

Sunday 596, today 449.

Still surprised the fatalities outside hospitals in England haven't been recorded or added to the total? 

So we haven’t reached the near 4,000 deaths per day that @oaksoft predicted?

And to put this prediction (the very word that he used himself) into perspective, @oaksoft was predicting that nearly 3 times as many people would die every day in the U.K. from Covid 19 alone than normally die each day.

Oaksoft’s stupidity knows no bounds