Coronavirus

faraway saint

1 hour ago, antrin said:

I honestly don't think you could effectively limit loss of life.  Delay some perhaps. 

The BIG reason for lockdown was so that the UK's limited resources to confront this virus would suffice and so the austerity-hit NHS would also have a chance of coping when a huge surge of stricken people  sought help - and to leave the NHS free in other respects to continue with business as usual.

If anything, the NHS has over-succeeded in that respect... despite 20000+ deaths.

Hence the empty beds and less people seeking as much help for critical illnesses than is usual.

So basically we're collapsing the economy so grandpa can live until Christmas? That's a pretty good deal, IMHO. 

I think if this lockdown extends the life of just one person, by one second, then it will all have been worthwhile. 

49 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Well you can...:P

...but it takes a towering intellect like The C'apn to draw any sensible conclusions. :hammer

Indeed you can.

However, we've seen the folly of adopting that course of action both on here and in the media.

20 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

So whaddaya think the top names for 2021 will be?

Is Corona a boys or a gurls name?

3 hours ago, HSS said:

Corona Iris for a girl

And if you have Tom Hanks as  Pen-pal and you're being bullied for having a lassie's name, then maybe you're a laddie...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-52406943

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I would guess about a hundred, and even then it wont suit his agenda.

All in all, wasting your time. 

To be fair, I wasn't singling him out.

There are plenty on here and in the media who, have carried out such invalid comparisons. I've probably been guilty of it too at some point in discussion with others. 

We need to stop jumping on headline figures from other countries and making comparisons and/or bold statements/predictions, like "If only we had done that, this would have happened".

We simply don't have the data, at present, to make truly valid conclusions. On top of this scientists are still trying to fully understand the Biology of the organism causing all of this, which introduces even more confusion to the whole matter!

Edited by FTOF

To also be fair, we can look at how ineffectively UK spent the first month or so having had knowledge of the virus.  Apparently, the UK was almost the most prepared of all to cope with a pandemic.  And look how we fannied about and f**ked it up.

A minister said "a good result would be only 20000 deaths..." and now we're soaring far above that with no finishing line in sight.  He is probably happy with having achieved a "good result".

(THE most prepared country to face a pandemic was... USA.   There are some who'd suggest that leadership may be key to outcomes.).

Just now, antrin said:

To also be fair, we can look at how ineffectively UK spent the first month or so having had knowledge of the virus.  Apparently, the UK was almost the most prepared of all to cope with a pandemic.  And look how we fannied about and f**ked it up.

A minister said "a good result would be only 20000 deaths..." and now we're soaring far above that with no finishing line in sight.  He is probably happy with having achieved a "good result".

(THE most prepared country to face a pandemic was... USA.   There are some who'd suggest that leadership may be key to outcomes.).

I know someone who is working on the frontline with both the UK and Scottish governments on infection control, and she says that she couldn't believe just how unprepared the UK was for this.

Guest TPAFKATS
You can't compare different countries.

How many times does this have to be repeated FFS!

Of course you can compare different countries so long as you add caveats to the comparison.

I see from your quoted post my stalker now thinks I have an anti swedish agenda

6 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Of course you can compare different countries so long as you add caveats to the comparison.

I see from your quoted post my stalker now thinks I have an anti swedish agenda

After you stalking me all Friday night, a couple of cheap lagers I assume, you have a cheek. 

Oh, it's not an anti Swedish agenda you have it's an anti government agenda, not that it really has to be pointed out. 😂

Guest TPAFKATS

Within 10 minutes of me posting, creepy from arbroath is quoting me again.

Spooky how he can tell so quickly that I've posted when I don't quote him and he claims I'm on ignore.

He's becoming obsessive.

1 minute ago, TPAFKATS said:

Within 10 minutes of me posting, creepy from arbroath is quoting me again.

Spooky how he can tell so quickly that I've posted when I don't quote him and he claims I'm on ignore.

He's becoming obsessive.

Within 8 minutes you make another post aimed at me, stalking if the Thicky quality. 😂😂😂

You do know you can remove the ignore function? 🤪🤪🤪

2 hours ago, antrin said:

I know this will hurt your head but do you think he just plucked that figure out of the air?

He, and the government were acting on the umpteen scientists that were offering advice.

We all know how difficult this has been for the majority of countries and every country is different.

Surprised you haven't brought Rangers into this thread..............................yet. :byebye

2 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Caveats = uncertainties.

In the longer term we may be able to compare between countries  once the data has had in depth analysis, but for now it just adds confusion to an already chaotic situation.

Edited by FTOF

Guest TPAFKATS
Okay lets try it another way. Who are the 'experts you know and what are they expert in ?

Hahaha
You've posted a YouTube video from a site called Hoax Reality.
Nothing tin foil going on there...

Guest TPAFKATS
Caveats = uncertainties.
In the longer term we may be able to compare between countries  once the data has had in depth analysis, but for now it just adds confusion to an already chaotic situation.
Yes, you point out uncertainties, differences as well as similarities.

The problem is where none of these are made clear in the comparisons as there is an agenda behind the reason for posting certain stats.

3 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Exactly. Utterly bizarre to watch both FTOF and Faraway use comparisons with other countries when it suits them but then criticise everyone else for doing exactly the same thing.

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Exactly. Utterly bizarre to watch both FTOF and Faraway use comparisons with other countries when it suits them but then criticise everyone else for doing exactly the same thing.

What country did you use when you made your now infamous graph.............................................:lol:

Just now, oaksoft said:

Italy.

What's your point?

The point is, as if it has to be made again, how did you not smell a stink when you done a very simple calculation?

Couldn't you see your figures were more than unlikely to be anywhere NEAR the actual figures?

If not, why not? 

Please don't lie again that things changed, as you made your graph 5 days after our lock down was in place, and Italy was well into theirs. :byebye

Oh, still waiting on my apology.