Coronavirus

faraway saint

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

Vit D absorbtion also affected by skin pigmentation. Darker skin, more difficult to absorb. Which is an interesting contradiction with the increasing lack of sunshine and vit D the further north you live.

There's been calls for years to put supplements into food in countries like Scotland. There's a problem though in that too much Vit D can lead to similar symptoms to too lack of Vit D.

The red hair and fair skin pigmentation of Scottish/Irish are a direct genetic mutation to the environment. Red heads work hard to produce more melatonin to absorb more vit d due to low cloud coverage in west Scotland and Ireland. They have adapted over thousands of years to their environment 

19 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I hope your not starting to be in the "making things up" crew?

I never said the 4,343 was made up, I suggested anything else was. 

The 20% was the 4,343 figures from the 21,000 total, the 30% was my hunch.

Dear oh dear. :byebye

The 4,343 figure covers a much wider timescale than two weeks of you'd read the whole article.

It SUGGESTS this could be over 5,000 by next week. 

from two deaths in the week ending 20 March, to 22 deaths, 217 deaths, 1,043 deaths and 3,093 in the following four weeks to 17 April, according to the ONS. The CQC figures, which account for a further week but are broadly tracking the ONS figures, suggest the ONS data next week is likely to show well over 5,000 care home deaths in total.

The figures in red don't even add up to 4343! 

21 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Figures released give an additional 4,343 deaths outside hospitals.

Approx 20%, not quite the absurd 50%-70% some fools were touting. :thumbsdown

As for the recent FT predictions....................possibly worse than Oaky. :lol:

Um, the figure for Scotland adjusted to include all deaths with Covid-19 on the certificate is an absurd  70.6% up on the hospital only figure.

The total number of deaths recorded in Scotland which included Covid-19 on the death certificate now stands at 2,272, far higher than the daily death toll published by the Scottish government.

Scottish test numbers: 28 April 2020

A total of 51,499 people in Scotland have been tested. Of these:

• 40,728 were confirmed negative
  • 10,721 were positive
  • 1,332 patients who tested positive have died

I had said I didn't want to get into a prolonged debate on stats because I didn't reckon the data they were based on was accurate but you called me out on it. My stats may turn out to be inaccurate but yours are definitely either absurd or wrong.

Edited by Bud the Baker

2 hours ago, W6er said:

Interesting, thanks. I am taking a vitamin D supplement, as I realised I am, or hopefully was, deficient.

Since learning about it, I have changed my habits.  I now know why my mum was so keen to give me a large spoonful of cod liver oil every other day and send me out side to play at every opportunity .

D980D554-DF1F-41BB-8963-E3F069BA9BFB.jpeg

18 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Was just a general observation.

22 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

The figures in red don't even add up to 4343! 

Um, the figure for Scotland adjusted to include all deaths to include all deaths with Covid-19 on the certificate is an absurd 70.6% up on the hospital only figure.

My stats may not be accurate (are anyone's?) but yours are definitely wrong.

The figures cover a 4 week period, not the 2 weeks you were focusing on. (Apologies they don't come to the 4343 figure)

Dear oh dear. 

The figure released today for Scotland today, yet I have been talking about UK figures, is as follows....................to quote, no point comparing apples with oranges, but. hey ho.

Over a third of all registered deaths involving COVID-19 occurred in care homes, 39%.

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Brilliant contribution. :lol:

Thank you.

It's good that although you can offer no posts with useful content that you can still recognise it, in others - such as mine.

Unless you are simply slow and have been whooshed?

(I'd plump for the "Unless" option.)

16 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

1. The figures cover a 4 week period, not the 2 weeks you were focusing on. (Apologies they don't come to the 4343 figure)

Dear oh dear. 

2. The figure released today for Scotland today, yet I have been talking about UK figures, is as follows....................to quote, no point comparing apples with oranges, but. hey ho.

3. Over a third of all registered deaths involving COVID-19 occurred in care homes, 39%.

Dear oh dear.  :byebye 

1. Nope the 4343 figure was for two weeks 10-24 April and for care homes in England & Wales only as I showed on the previous page, your figures don't add up to 4343 and therefore are clearly for something else. 

2. The apples & oranges are those you chose to make an absurd  claim about.

3 Yup the stats are all over the place & clearly unreliable that's what I've been saying and it's a damning indictment of the governments handling of the pandemic more than 3 months after BJ missed his first Covid-19 Cobra meeting. How can you make sensible choices when you have no reliable data to base them on?

Edited by Bud the Baker

3 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

1. Nope the 4343 figure was for two weeks 10-24 April as I showed on the previous page, your figures don't add up to 4343 andtherefore are clearly for something else. 

2. The apples & oranges are those you choose to make an absurd  claim about.

3 Yup the stats are all over the place & clearly unreliable that's what I've been saying and it's a damning indictment of the governments handling of the pandemic more than 3 months after BJ missed his first Covid-19 Cobra meeting. How can you make sensible choices when you have no reliable data to base them on?

1.No they weren't.

2. No I didn't.

3. What utter straw grabbing, it's been explained, to those who listen, that there was no need for him to attend these meetings at that stage. Communication, it's the new black. 

Toodle ooh. :byebye

40 minutes ago, GMan said:

Aye, we do. But you do a lot to advance the cause of eugenics and euthanasia, though. :)

Dear GMan, I sincerely hope you are well and not suffering at all as a result of the pandemic or the lockdown. If you are lonely or have nobody else to turn to, you're welcome to PM me. I invite you to read Luke 6:27-36. God bless you my friend.

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

1.No they weren't.

2. No I didn't.

3. What utter straw grabbing, it's been explained, to those who listen, that there was no need for him to attend these meetings at that stage. Communication, it's the new black. 

1. Yes they were.

2 Yes you did.

3. I thought you were out if it got political.

18 hours ago, faraway saint said:

PPS If your intending to make this a political point I'm out. 

1 hour ago, W6er said:

Dear GMan, I sincerely hope you are well and not suffering at all as a result of the pandemic or the lockdown. If you are lonely or have nobody else to turn to, you're welcome to PM me. I invite you to read Luke 6:27-36. God bless you my friend.

That's dreadful advice, it really is.

There's no virtue in "loving your enemy".

The best advice is to completely blank them as though they did not exist and were entirely dead to you.

That way you neither build up resentment nor spend your life pretending you don't care when you really are bothered by them.

I certainly can't think of a better way to deal with modern forms of abuse - i.e. on social media.

Edited by oaksoft

15 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The best advice is to completely blank them as though they did not exist and were entirely dead to you.

That way you neither build up resentment nor spend your life pretending you don't care when you really are bothered by them.

I certainly can't think of a better way to deal with modern forms of abuse - i.e. on social media.

Can I ask why you don’t heed your own advice and ignore ‘faraway saint’ as you seem totally obsessed with him?

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I think there is, however I don't pretend to live by it, at least not most of the time.

Regardless of whether one believes in Christ, I think negative energy - resentment, hatred, anger, bitterness, etc - is harmful in many ways (physically, emotionally, how one perceives the world and interacts with others). 'If you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves' is attributed to Confucius. Buddhism basically says the same about revenge. The concept which Buddhists call karma is something that is implied in the Bible, though of course Christianity allows your debt to be paid vicariously, through Jesus' sacrifice, if you believe in Him. 

Just so you don't think I have misunderstood you, I do appreciate that what you're saying is to ignore your 'enemies' and not build up resentment. That's not always practical, though.. What if your enemy is your ex-wife, with whom you have kids? Or a work colleague you need to interact with on a daily basis? I do believe in karma, and I also think - where possible - it's better to turn the other cheek and love one's enemy. 

Take internet trolls, for example, and I am not referring to any particular individual. If someone is genuinely trying to provoke and antagonise people in order to upset them, then surely by not getting upset you are defeating their purpose? Words on a screen cannot physically hurt you; they can only emotionally wound you if you're proud, and seeking to maintain a reputation, or if you value the antagonist's opinion. Humility is another virtue encouraged by Buddha and Christ - the latter washing His disciples' feet, and being tortured, humiliated and executed in public for our sins, of course. The truth is folk who go around upsetting other people are either very insecure, bitter or psychopathic to some degree - i.e. pitiable. Alternatively, they're just bored and don't really mean any harm, in which case why get upset?

Kipling's poem If springs to mind: 

'If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you...

Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it'

What better way to demonstrate that you are unharmed by an aggressor than to answer their provocation with an act of kindness? The best way to destroy your enemy is to make him your friend.

Edited by W6er
Removed two lines from If

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Quite a jump today, 4,419 from 586 yesterday. 

How's that for a stat @Bud the Baker :byebye

The total number of deaths in the UK is 26,097, Public Health England said, including an additional 3,811 deaths in England since the start of the coronavirus outbreak.

Of these, around 70% were outside hospital settings and around 30% were in hospital.

A total of 26,097 people have died in hospitals, care homes and the wider community after testing positive for coronavirus, Public Health England has said.

New Government figures incorporating care home and community deaths were released for the first time on Wednesday.

The new death toll, as of 5pm on Tuesday, is a jump from yesterday's figure of 21,678 - which only included hospital deaths.

So we're meant to believe that hospital deaths accounted for 30% of Covid deaths yesterday but over 80% overall since the crisis started. 

Up 70& in Scotland with "Care deaths" included as I showed in the previous page but only 17% in England - somebody's stats are smelly socks! :spud2

In the first statement since changing the way figures are produced, Public Health England said the total number of deaths was around 17 per cent higher than previous data showed.

Dear oh dear!  :byebye

Edited by Bud the Baker