Coronavirus

faraway saint

6 hours ago, antrin said:

Perhaps... that we have more deaths proportionately than other countries is reason to rejoice, eh?

why do you consistently believe in this failed government?

Spoke to a friend who works for the NHS in Fife.

One major reason the UK can provide better data is the NHS.

Just because I don't leap in with any negatives, or made up shite, on the government doesn't mean I don't see any fault.

I hope this helps, but I doubt it. :byebye

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I'm not interested in what the media said.

Where did you read about the government actively promoting street parties which would cause social distancing to be breached?

By not explicitly warning people not to hold them, they were tacitly approving them.

Guest TPAFKATS
There were quite a few street parties in Town yesterday.One in Hunterhill seemed to have attracted every household and there is no way social distancing was adhered to.
Its as if some people want the virus to stay.[emoji2957]
Be interesting to see numbers of new cases and hospital admissions over next couple of weeks

Has it been explained why we need to wait until June before those entering the country are to be quarantined for 14 days?
Because...might as well, far to fekkin late anyway.

And pointless - "Do you promise to go and self isolate? Yes? Okay, in you come."

So, the "Stay at Home" is being dropped, now we've to "Stay Alert"

This is all well and fine but people are fcukwits and the UK, again IMO, not in the position to be easing up on the current lockdown instructions.

The unnecessary decision to make some sort of announcement today, combined with the media headlines a few days ago, has opened the floodgates.

Once the genie is out of the bottle the games a bogie.

The decision to change things, which has to happen, has to be made when the numbers are low enough.

This is not the time. 

Coronavirus: Police fury as 'hundreds' of people have pizzas, beers and wine in park

Britons have been accused of "ignoring" restrictions during the sunny bank holiday weekend, as the police and coastguard criticised those failing to observe guidelines.

HM Coastguard said it had the highest number of call-outs since the lockdown began on Friday, with 97 incidents - a 54% increase compared with April's daily average.

Meanwhile in London, police admitted they were struggling to stop people gathering in parks amid the fine weather.

A Hackney Police statement, posted on its official Twitter page alongside an image believed to be of London Fields, said: "Sadly we're fighting a losing battle in the parks today.

"Literally hundreds of people sitting having pizza, beers, wines. As always a big thank you to those that are observing the guidelines."

Edited by faraway saint

15 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Spoke to a friend who works for the NHS in Fife.

One major reason the UK can provide better data is the NHS.

Just because I don't leap in with any negatives, or made up shite, on the government doesn't mean I don't see any fault.

I hope this helps, but I doubt it. :byebye

Seems to be the current government spin - any evidence to back it up?

Whatever else you may think of Boris' handling of the pandemic his irresponsible comments last week about easing restrictions in his speach today have resulted in the public disregarding instructions, the old well if it will be ok to sunbathe on monday why can't I do it on friday mentality. Soundbite buffonery.

29 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Seems to be the current government spin - any evidence to back it up?

It makes sense, that seems to be beyond some people.

One health system, I'm comfortable with the reasoning behind that. 

19 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

According to some, If the tories say it, it must be true. Isn't that enough proof?

According to dimwits like you anything the government say isn't true. 😂🤪😂

If you pay attention you'd see plenty on here are capable, unlike you, of making a decision not based on blind government bashing. 🤪

I've already voiced concern this morning at the latest changes, don't let that get in the way of your pathetic posts. 👋

1 minute ago, StanleySaint said:

Whatever else you may think of Boris' handling of the pandemic his irresponsible comments last week about easing restrictions in his speach today have resulted in the public disregarding instructions, the old well if it will be ok to sunbathe on monday why can't I do it on friday mentality. Soundbite buffonery.

Indeed a mistake at this point in time.

Things WILL need to be relaxed, we are not at that place right now.

That's based on numbers, not any irresponsible government bashing. 

I agree and I'm not gov't bashing, but for too long authority has been leaking info to test how it will go down and how it will make them look (and that's all persuasions) rather than make their decisions and announce them at the appropriate time.

Governments will focus on what is important to them, and their voters, at a particular point in time. In my experience they are rarely proactive, and poorly executed, knee jerk responses are pretty much the norm.

The likes of Brexit and Scottish independence undoubtedly had a detrimental effect on pandemic planning, and we've ended up with the shambles we now have.

To not have a reliable system for recording data (NHS or otherwise) in place at the start of the pandemic is gross negligence. Surely the scientific advisors must have known how important collecting reliable data would be if a pandemic occurred.

Let's hope we, and all of the powers that be in the UK, learn a lesson before the next one occurs.

6 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:
59 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I agree and I'm not gov't bashing, but for too long authority has been leaking info to test how it will go down and how it will make them look (and that's all persuasions) rather than make their decisions and announce them at the appropriate time.

That's a key issue here.

Guest TPAFKATS
Because...might as well, far to fekkin late anyway.

And pointless - "Do you promise to go and self isolate? Yes? Okay, in you come."
Canada has been doing this for months with police able to turn up at the address you give when entering country to check you are isolating.
Not sure how successful its been, but certainly more than UK approach over same time.

Guest TPAFKATS
Governments will focus on what is important to them, and their voters, at a particular point in time. In my experience they are rarely proactive, and poorly executed, knee jerk responses are pretty much the norm.
The likes of Brexit and Scottish independence undoubtedly had a detrimental effect on pandemic planning, and we've ended up with the shambles we now have.
To not have a reliable system for recording data (NHS or otherwise) in place at the start of the pandemic is gross negligence. Surely the scientific advisors must have known how important collecting reliable data would be if a pandemic occurred.
Let's hope we, and all of the powers that be in the UK, learn a lesson before the next one occurs.
Scottish independence?

Spain have taken a hard approach to people breaking the rules. (See below)

In this country more people complain that the police are heavy handed rather than see it as saving peoples life.

A difficult balance IMO, but with the change in tone, the police in this country have been hung out to dry.

THE number of people fined for breaking coronavirus restrictions in Spain has remained at around 15,000 a day on average.

This continuous civil disobedience takes the country’s tally of financial penalties during lockdown to almost 900,000.

From the announcement of the national state of alarm on March 14 until May 7, 869,537 fines were doled out in total, according to Europa Press.

Meanwhile there were 7,556 arrests made by the Guardia Civil, Policia Nacional and Policia Local during the same period.

17 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
38 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Scottish independence?

Yes.

No pun intended.

Just now, faraway saint said:

Spain have taken a hard approach to people breaking the rules. (See below)

In this country more people complain that the police are heavy handed rather than see it as saving peoples life.

A difficult balance IMO, but with the change in tone, the police in this country have been hung out to dry.

THE number of people fined for breaking coronavirus restrictions in Spain has remained at around 15,000 a day on average.

This continuous civil disobedience takes the country’s tally of financial penalties during lockdown to almost 900,000.

From the announcement of the national state of alarm on March 14 until May 7, 869,537 fines were doled out in total, according to Europa Press.

Meanwhile there were 7,556 arrests made by the Guardia Civil, Policia Nacional and Policia Local during the same period.

Unfortunately, you can fine some people all you like, and it won't make one iota of difference.

Sadly, selfishness combined with abject stupidity seems to be becoming the order of the day, for an increasing number of people in the UK. The pictures from Brighton yesterday are extremely depressing.

Given the freedom and relatively relaxed policing that we're used to, compared to other countries, when adversity appears, that requires a bit of self-discipline and following rules, we tend to stamp our feet and shout "It's not fair!".

Saw a top statistician on the Andrew Marr show today.

He said that two children, out of 10 million in the UK, have died.

Twenty six out of 17 million young people have died.

More people in these groups have died through things like road traffic accidents.

The big risk is for the over 75s, but especially the over 90s, where mortality is over 1% (though I've seen some studies that put that at a significantly higher rate).

Time the government adapted their response and didn't treat risk as uniform across situations and populations; it's not.