Coronavirus

faraway saint

38 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Sainsbury's, bless them, have just advertised they are giving NHS workers a special time slot.

The NHS workers better be flippin quick, 7:30am - 8:00am. :rolleyes:

They better not turn up in pairs since the store is only allowing 1 person per trolley in.

They stopped me and the wife going in last week even though she was in crutches and unable to carry a basket or push a trolley,

We were after baby stuff so me going in myself wasn't an option since she was having the final decision on what to buy.

No big deal since we just went elsewhere but some other people certainly wasn't happy about the rule. 

23 minutes ago, Tommy said:

They better not turn up in pairs since the store is only allowing 1 person per trolley in.

They stopped me and the wife going in last week even though she was in crutches and unable to carry a basket or push a trolley,

We were after baby stuff so me going in myself wasn't an option since she was having the final decision on what to buy.

No big deal since we just went elsewhere but some other people certainly wasn't happy about the rule. 

In your circumstances they should have shown some common sense.

As for the "one person" per trolley rule, I'm 100% behind it as it simply reduces the risk of spreading any infection.

We have some wallopers who take a trolley each and go in a 2 separate people.

You will always get a percentage of people who will act like arseholes no matter what. 

@theknickerwetter

Gotta love a septuagenarian free marketeer, friend of Keith Joseph & Margret Thatcher suddenly developing a concern for the driver of the No 9 bus and the cashier at the supermarket. Poverty kills too but very likely Lord ConSumption won't know any of the low paid workers he's so keen to force back to work.

After all as Lord ConSumption says current policy is based on projections that leave out of the account important considerations like the number of people who would have died anyway from underlying clinical conditions even without Covid-19 maybe a few months later - all heart! 

Boris Johnson's message to the working class: good luck out there

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/12/boris-johnson-working-class-good-luck

An alliance of Tory libertarians, who believe in freedom for those can afford it, and wealthy Conservative backers, who are rather more interested in profit margins than the lives of vulnerable and older people, have grown tired of lockdown, quite unlike the public as a whole. And so Johnson’s messy compromise, as mentioned in his Sunday night address to the nation, is to “actively encourage” a return to work for those who cannot do so from home: factory workers, but not managers; cleaners, but not accountants.

Covid-19 is a class issue and I applaud you for raising the issue! :happyclapper

11 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

@theknickerwetter

Gotta love a septuagenarian free marketeer, friend of Keith Joseph & Margret Thatcher suddenly developing a concern for the driver of the No 9 bus and the cashier at the supermarket. Poverty kills too but very likely Lord ConSumption won't know any of the low paid workers he's so keen to force back to work.

After all as Lord ConSumption says current policy is based on projections that leave out of the account important considerations like the number of people who would have died anyway from underlying clinical conditions even without Covid-19 maybe a few months later - all heart! 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/12/boris-johnson-working-class-good-luck

An alliance of Tory libertarians, who believe in freedom for those can afford it, and wealthy Conservative backers, who are rather more interested in profit margins than the lives of vulnerable and older people, have grown tired of lockdown, quite unlike the public as a whole. And so Johnson’s messy compromise, as mentioned in his Sunday night address to the nation, is to “actively encourage” a return to work for those who cannot do so from home: factory workers, but not managers; cleaners, but not accountants.

Covid-19 is a class issue and I applaud you for raising the issue! :happyclapper

I know 3 managers who have not even been off when most of the workforce were, although with some orders approx 60% of the workforce are back at work.

I also know 2 accountants that have been doing around half and half working from home and working in the office, quite often outside normal working hours to reduce contact with others.

The media don't half print some shit........................although there are plenty willing to believe anything. 

Scotland will follow suit in the next few weeks IMO. 

16 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I know 3 managers who have not even been off when most of the workforce were, although with some orders approx 60% of the workforce are back at work.

I also know 2 accountants that have been doing around half and half working from home and working in the office, quite often outside normal working hours to reduce contact with others.

The media don't half print some shit........................although there are plenty willing to believe anything. 

Scotland will follow suit in the next few weeks IMO. 

Are these accountants/managers not "friends" like the one in the NHS, I'm not disputing the evidence between class & Covid deaths is still anecdotal although very few members of the House of Lords will be putting in shifts at care homes but when the hard stats on the issue are available it'll will undoubtedly endorse my opinion - this pandemic is and always has been a political issue.

Edited by Bud the Baker

18 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Are these accountants/managers not "friends" like the one in the NHS, I'm not disputing the evidence between class & Covid deaths is still anecdotal although very few members of the House of Lords will be putting in shifts at care homes but when the hard stats on the issue are available it'll will undoubtedly endorse my opinion - this pandemic is and always has been a political issue.

:snore

45 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

@theknickerwetter

What really got me about The Buffoon exhorting "a section" of workers back to work, in order to Get Britain Working again, was that The Buffoon famously has avoided work whenever he could. 

He is a legend in the annals of "winging it", not reading his brief, not knowing detail, lacking concentration...  not working...

He has a record for (not) attending COBRA meetings, especially when the country is facing a pandemic... not working...

He happily went off on holiday as the pandemic struck and left inadequate Ministers to cover for him....   not working...

No sooner was he back from holiday than he went off on Parental Leave.... not working...

He has fathered a flotsam of children in a miscellany of marriages/relationships which all foundered for reasons we can only guess at... as in.... a personal commitment to... not working...

Don't do as I do, do as I say...

Buffoon!

17 minutes ago, antrin said:

What really got me about The Buffoon exhorting "a section" of workers back to work, in order to Get Britain Working again, was that The Buffoon famously has avoided work whenever he could. 

He is a legend in the annals of "winging it", not reading his brief, not knowing detail, lacking concentration...  not working...

He has a record for (not) attending COBRA meetings, especially when the country is facing a pandemic... not working...

He happily went off on holiday as the pandemic struck and left inadequate Ministers to cover for him....   not working...

No sooner was he back from holiday than he went off on Parental Leave.... not working...

He has fathered a flotsam of children in a miscellany of marriages/relationships which all foundered for reasons we can only guess at... as in.... a personal commitment to... not working...

Buffoon!

13 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

^^^^^^ :lol:

So, I'm not wrong, then?  Thank you.

13 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Sturgeon now starting to get the same level of questions that have been aimed at the UK government.

Hindsight. 

Just wait till she tells the public to go back to work. :rolleyes:

At least Scotland isn’t the Guinea pig for a change 👍🏻

5 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

@faraway saint

While it is not exactly answering the question of occupation/Covid death rate it's already noticeably higher in poorer areas.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52637581

We may all be in it together, but some of us are unquestionably in it deeper...💩

Are you poor? 

Could be worse, you could be in the BAME group and poor. 

1 hour ago, antrin said:

Buffoon!

A flotsam of children?

You are better than this antrin.

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

@theknickerwetter

The people most at risk of covid are doctors and nurses, neither of whom could be reasonably described as poor.

The other group are elderly people with sufficient finances to be able to afford private care. Again, not poor.

covid is clearly NOT a class issue.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

The people most at risk of covid are doctors and nurses, neither of whom could be reasonably described as poor.

The other group are elderly people with sufficient finances to be able to afford private care. Again, not poor.

I'm sure I read/saw an item somewhere that said more ancillary NHS staff had died than doctors & nurses (summat to do with who gets first dibs on the PPE) are you willing to accept my memory :spud5or do you want me to try & find it? 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Are you poor? 

Could be worse, you could be in the BAME group and poor. 

I work in a plant that's approaching 20 years old and not suitable to accommodate social distancing at all times with no extra PPE although some working practices have changed at our insistence not managements who haven't been seen much over the last coupla months - there's still an ongoing Union dispute over how to minimize other risks but if a strike vote is called I'll vote yes without hesitation. 

As an aside management are now rationing face-masks and gloves as they believe we'll pinch the company's PPE.

I have a niece who works in a care home and is married to an BAME guy so although the issue is removed a degree I'll assume it's more relevant to me than Lord ConSumption.

Edited by Bud the Baker

On the face of it, age, relative health and ethnicity are the main factors involved. It stands to reason that if you are more exposed to the virus (as already mentioned in an earlier post) by working on the frontline, then that has a major influence too.

The latter being a category which could have a number of factors at play. 

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30228-9/fulltext

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/covid19-ethnic-minorities/

I'm sure there will be much research, both ongoing and in the future, to try and protect individuals in these groups in the future from similar pandemics.

Edited by FTOF

Guest TPAFKATS

The people most at risk are the essential workers.

These include doctors and nurses however they, on the whole, have access to ppe.

Other essential workers who interact with the public do not have the same protection.

Most of these essential workers are on low pay / minimum wage.

In England from today its mainly blue collar workers who are being told to return to work - Johnson specifically mentioned construction and manufacturing.

That's why others are alluding to it being a class issue.

4 hours ago, theknickerwetter said:

aye , its a tightrope Spud , it's a f**king tightrope.

I asked a couple of pertinent questions , l did not ask you to have 'faith in ' anything .

No.

you didn't  ask pertinent questions, as I presented information To the forum and offered YOU And everyone else the sources from which to seek confirmation - or not.  I am not your google.

I take it from your remarks that you have no faith in your own judgement and instead you have surrendered your ability to evaluate data to C4 and FT . Good luck with that one.

you take it, WRONGLY.    FT and C4 have informed sources.   I have sources other than FT and C4 and this forum. , I read widely, 
I was first to offer the sceptical Swiss Doctor to this forum, but i admit i can’t subscribe to deranged  moonshine from shit  conspiracy  “theorists”..

Granted it was once a country of free speech and debate

what WAS,...

and when?  Once?

Sporadic , lol. Ah if only i had a massive post count , ahhhhhhh..................................

Treackebreeks was always your hero, I know.....

S/he didn’t do “post count’ but did do “quality” comment. :)

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

A flotsam of children?

You are better than this antrin.

I don’t think so.

having read your post, I checked my choice of word: flotsam is debris not deliberately thrown overboard.

The Buffoon’s children.

He  won’t even recognise them or own up to how many children he has, nor who they all are!

Flotsam seems apt.

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

This government announced qualifications for POTENTIAL immigrants in which it decreed that people who would work for the same wage as nurses, were “unskilled” and thus not good enough to come into Britain. 

obviously POOR and kept in that/their Place by their government?

The impact of a pandemic shouldn’t be a Class issue, but it IS.