Coronavirus

faraway saint

21 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

That might have had some merit if it wasn't for the fact one of the cabinet is doing briefings EVERY day. If nothing was changing then why would any minister be updating. Updating being the operative word. A leader should be seen to be leading. I think BoJo is being kept out of the limelight by Cummings as he's a liability in a crisis.

I don't see much that needs any minister to update every day, unless there's a major change.

It's mostly stats and stupid questions from the media. 

A leader should be a lot of things.

Too many to mention but delegation is a key skill.

Pick your team, use your team while the leader does things that require a leader. 

If he's such a liability isn't it strange how he managed to romp the election and has got us out of the European union.

That might have had some merit if it wasn't for the fact one of the cabinet is doing briefings EVERY day. If nothing was changing then why would any minister be updating. Updating being the operative word. A leader should be seen to be leading. I think BoJo is being kept out of the limelight by Cummings as he's a liability in a crisis.
BoJo fancies himself as Napoleon anyway! FB_IMG_1590035933215.jpeg

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

I don't see much that needs any minister to update every day, unless there's a major change.

It's mostly stats and stupid questions from the media. 

A leader should be a lot of things.

Too many to mention but delegation is a key skill.

Pick your team, use your team while the leader does things that require a leader. 

If he's such a liability isn't it strange how he managed to romp the election and has got us out of the European union.

In much the same way as Trump. The media didn't scrutinise him. They over scrutinised the opposition leader and Cummings is the master of sloganism. Boris didn't win the election. He was prevented from losing it by making sure he didn't campaign. In fact he did the opposite. He hid when difficult questions were being asked. The slogan "Get Brexit done" went a long way to winning the election because not enough people thought to ask, WTF does that even mean. Oh. And not to be pedantic. The UK is NOT out of the EU yet.

6 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

In much the same way as Trump. The media didn't scrutinise him. They over scrutinised the opposition leader and Cummings is the master of sloganism. Boris didn't win the election. He was prevented from losing it by making sure he didn't campaign. In fact he did the opposite. He hid when difficult questions were being asked. The slogan "Get Brexit done" went a long way to winning the election because not enough people thought to ask, WTF does that even mean. Oh. And not to be pedantic. The UK is NOT out of the EU yet.

Before the election there were plenty saying the Conservatives wouldn't win because of Boris, HE, even if you like it or not, was a major reason they did win. 

Wasn't there a democratic vote on leaving the European union?

Again, like plenty on here, when the result doesn't suit them they call into question the way the vote was presented.

Similar drivel was rolled on after the Scottish referendum. 

As for being pedantic, WGAF. 

12 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Before the election there were plenty saying the Conservatives wouldn't win because of Boris, HE, even if you like it or not, was a major reason they did win. 

Again, like plenty on here, when the result doesn't suit them they call into question the way the vote was presented.

In what way did Johnson win the election? I'm not saying the labour party ran a good election. They didn't. But, and I'm not a labour supporter, the media demonised Corbyn at every turn and Johnson was never allowed near a serious journalist during the campaign. Seeds were sown about immigrants are bad and lies were told about the EU money that we'd put into the NHS to win the original exit from Europe campaign. The tories continued to successfully lie and this led to a campaign that didn't need a real leader to front it. No matter which party you support it must be obvious his, (BoJo), input was minimal. In fact, for much of the  campaign he, and his sidekick Rees Mogg, were conspicuous by their silence because they WERE liabilities.

ETA. I never once saw the Labour party ahead in the polls. everyone knew it was the tories election to lose.

Edited by stlucifer

10 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

The Tories were never in any danger of losing the election

England were never going to vote in Cobyn

1 minute ago, stlucifer said:

In what way did Johnson win the election? I'm not saying the labour party ran a good election. They didn't. But, and I'm not a labour supporter, the media demonised Corbyn at every turn and Johns was never allowed near a serious journalist during the campaign. Seeds were sown about immigrants are bad and lies were told about the EU money that we'd put into the NHS to win the original exit from Europe campaign. The tories continued to successfully lie and this led to a campaign that didn't need a real leader to front it. No matter which party you support it must be obvious his, (BoJo), input was minimal. In fact, for much of the  campaign he, and his sidekick Rees Mogg, were conspicuous by their silence because they WERE liabilities.

You might have been better telling the bookies, they were taking plenty money on Boris being the shortest leader in history.

Again, nothing to do with him, the medias fault. :lol:

Aye, hurts doesn't it? 

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

In what way did Johnson win the election? I'm not saying the labour party ran a good election. They didn't. But, and I'm not a labour supporter, the media demonised Corbyn at every turn and Johnson was never allowed near a serious journalist during the campaign. Seeds were sown about immigrants are bad and lies were told about the EU money that we'd put into the NHS to win the original exit from Europe campaign. The tories continued to successfully lie and this led to a campaign that didn't need a real leader to front it. No matter which party you support it must be obvious his, (BoJo), input was minimal. In fact, for much of the  campaign he, and his sidekick Rees Mogg, were conspicuous by their silence because they WERE liabilities.

ETA. I never once saw the Labour party ahead in the polls. everyone knew it was the tories election to lose.

The election was won the moment BJ acquiesced to what no Tory leader could acquiesce (his own words less than a fortnight before) and shafted the DUP, his slogan of "Get Britain Done" was enough to win in a FPTP election, no matter how bad the deal was and that he had been Foreign Secretary when Theresa May rejected it a year or so before.

BJ is a convictionless politician (although he had a narrow escape today re: Ms Arcuri :rolleyes:) who will always, always, always take the short term option and those applauding today's U-turn on the surcharge for migrant health workers are wrong, if it's the correct decision for some it's should be the correct decision for all migrant workers unless of course the "we're all in it together" slogan is just a lie - I'd expect Labour (although not necessarily the SNP) to campaign for universal exemption.. 

Edited by Bud the Baker

Thr total number of deaths in England and Wales between November 29th and May 8th (275,044) was lower than the total number in the same period in 2017-18 (281,566), when there was an above-average number of deaths from seasonal flu.

The NHS wasn’t overwhelmed in 2018 and it isn’t now.

There was no lockdown in 2018 and there shouldn’t be now.

End the lockdown! 

7 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Todays number, 338.

Cases also on a downward trend.

Past the worst?

I believe so. 

The worst was weeks ago

Currently 0.24% infections. Doesn’t even reach the 0.4% required for it to be an epidemic any more!

End the lockdown! 

21 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

The worst was weeks ago

Currently 0.24% infections. Doesn’t even reach the 0.4% required for it to be an epidemic any more!

End the lockdown! 

Apologies, badly worded. 

I was indicating that, IMO, there might be a rise when things get relaxed but will not be close to the peak.

The lockdown is close to being ended, only issue is the reopening of certain areas of business. 

Edited by faraway saint

24 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Apologies, badly worded. 

I was indicating that, IMO, there might be a rise when things get relaxed but will not be close to the peak.

The lockdown is close to being ended, only issue is the reopening of certain areas of business. 

There won’t be any rise when things are relaxed

1 hour ago, Sue Denim said:

Thr total number of deaths in England and Wales between November 29th and May 8th (275,044) was lower than the total number in the same period in 2017-18 (281,566), when there was an above-average number of deaths from seasonal flu.

The NHS wasn’t overwhelmed in 2018 and it isn’t now.

There was no lockdown in 2018 and there shouldn’t be now.

End the lockdown! 

What are the comparable figures only over the period Covid19 significantly impacted? Fluffing figures to fit an agenda. 

Guest TPAFKATS
What are the comparable figures only over the period Covid19 significantly impacted? Fluffing figures to fit an agenda. 
You are pissing in the wind bazil. He's so thick he can't work out that there was an, albeit delayed, lockdown that prevented additional deaths.
#thichasf**k

16 hours ago, stlucifer said:

So May nearly lost to Corbyn, Johnston wiped the floor with him.

You are underestimating Johnston and his ability to win.

I doubt there are many people who thought he would be London major, get Brexit through(still not convinced he believes in it !!, route to power !) seeing off Cameron, saw off May and is now PM with huge majority. He is not a clown and quite rightly Keir Starmer told the Labour party to stop treating him as one.

Starmer though is a class act and its now game on.

Didnt realise you weren't a Labour supporter 😀

Edited by lenziebud

16 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

So May nearly lost to Corbyn, Johnston wiped the floor with him.

You are underestimating Johnston and his ability to win.

I doubt there are many people who thought he would be London major, get Brexit through(still not convinced he believes in it !!, route to power !), saw off May and is now PM with huge majority. He is not a clown and quite rightly Keir Starmer told the Labour party to stop treating him as one.

Starmer though is a class act and its now game on.

Didnt realise you weren't a Labour supporter 😀

May didn't work off the platform of "Get Brexit done". And they didn't have to worry about the Brexit party in the last election. These facts were not insignificant in the result. It was after Farage stepped down at all the seats held by conservatives that the result  was almost never in doubt. As I said. Johnson was put into hibernation, or literally cold storage in one circumstance, to prevent him from sabotaging his own campaign.

as to the last part. I have never voted for the labour party. I still think, in the long run, Johnson will be a massive plus for Scotland's independence movement. As for Starmer. He is made from the same cloth as Blair. Class act is not how I would describe him though I do believe he'll wipe the floor with BoJo on a regular basis. 

8 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

May didn't work off the platform of "Get Brexit done". And they didn't have to worry about the Brexit party in the last election. These facts were not insignificant in the result. It was after Farage stepped down at all the seats held by conservatives that the result  was almost never in doubt. As I said. Johnson was put into hibernation, or literally cold storage in one circumstance, to prevent him from sabotaging his own campaign.

as to the last part. I have never voted for the labour party. I still think, in the long run, Johnson will be a massive plus for Scotland's independence movement. As for Starmer. He is made from the same cloth as Blair. Class act is not how I would describe him though I do believe he'll wipe the floor with BoJo on a regular basis. 

Why do you say that ?

I'm related to someone who worked directly with Keir Starmer and told me he was as good a person as you can find ?

So just wondering why you make that comment as I doubt you have very much evidence for it ?

Edited by lenziebud