Coronavirus

faraway saint

Guest TPAFKATS

Of course but they are extreme @rses. Its the mass media and general public I'm talking about as well as opposition parties who say nothing just now but 3 months down the line I'm waiting for it. 
The guardian article of the scientist who says all the evidence was pointing to coming out earlier etc etc. Why did we ever go into lockdown in the first place, all the economic damage could have been avoided blah blah blah !!!!

I'm sure at least 2 of the papers were demanding an ease to lockdown prior to Johnson announcing it. Deaths per day were still over 600 at this point.
We went into lockdown with under 100(?) a day.

In Scotland, Leonard and Carlaw are particularly good at taking a contrary view with benefit of hindsight. Even though it goes against what their own party is doing in Wales and England.

4 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

I'm sure at least 2 of the papers were demanding an ease to lockdown prior to Johnson announcing it. Deaths per day were still over 600 at this point.
We went into lockdown with under 100(?) a day.

In Scotland, Leonard and Carlaw are particularly good at taking a contrary view with benefit of hindsight. Even though it goes against what their own party is doing in Wales and England.

2 utter embarrassments for politicians. Makes a mockery of the Scottish Parliament.

Local pubs and restaurants were open and serving beer and other drinks - at least - yesterday about 5.30pm as I passed.  Guys standing in the sun, supping pints... 

Restaurants with their huge glass walls opened wide and people dotted around the shaded insides...

We're gaunie take a walk by this evening same time, the beer looked beautiful...

My instinct is telling me it is the right thing to do.  As I am sure was the impulse that took those imbibers pub-wards yesterday.  :)

Cummings has killed lockdown, down here.

13 minutes ago, antrin said:

Local pubs and restaurants were open and serving beer and other drinks - at least - yesterday about 5.30pm as I passed.  Guys standing in the sun, supping pints... 

Restaurants with their huge glass walls opened wide and people dotted around the shaded insides...

We're gaunie take a walk by this evening same time, the beer looked beautiful...

My instinct is telling me it is the right thing to do.  As I am sure was the impulse that took those imbibers pub-wards yesterday.  :)

Could you show us proof as there's nothing I can find that says pubs restaurants are open? 

Have you not been out of the cave before now? :blink:

People have been ignoring lockdown guidelines for weeks. :lol:

What cave?

Why should I need or want to show proof, other than my eyewitness account?  :unsure:

More importantly, why would I be arsed giving YOU peace of mind by doing so?  :P

I've been out and about every day since 'lockdown'.   Always 'legitimately': exercise, allotments, supermarkets.

Go on give us another bingo number, caller - what is it today up or down, how does this latest 'number' chime with your all-seeing eye on the pandemic?

1 hour ago, antrin said:

Lets hope your "instincts" are not shared by many or we won't be watching much football at St Mirren Park next season.

Cummings hasn't changed my opinion on lockdown so why others ?. Or is it that they are just idiots waiting for an excuse ?

5 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Lets hope your "instincts" are not shared by many or we won't be watching much football at St Mirren Park next season.

Cummings hasn't changed my opinion on lockdown so why others ?. Or is it that they are just idiots waiting for an excuse ?

I'm voting for this.......................do I win a prize? 

14 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Remember that London went into this a wee while before Scotland... And that many are not convinced by the ferocity of a lockdown especially when the govt allows planeload after planeload to fly in and out without so much as a check for sniffles.

The herd immunity thing won't work till enough of the herd has had it.

And a vast majority of the herd will be mildly impacted by it.

Andy H (under his various pseudonyms)  has posted plenty of links for you to see that your opinion might not be the only valid one - though I genuinely respect whatever reasons you may have for holding it.

BTW several senior members of our governments and admin have been acting according to their instincts - so that seems to be an alright way to proceed, surely?

3 minutes ago, antrin said:

Remember that London went into this a wee while before Scotland... And that many are not convinced by the ferocity of a lockdown especially when the govt allows planeload after planeload to fly in and out without so much as a check for sniffles.

The herd immunity thing won't work till enough of the herd has had it.

And a vast majority of the herd will be mildly impacted by it.

Andy H (under his various pseudonyms)  has posted plenty of links for you to see that your opinion might not be the only valid one - though I genuinely respect whatever reasons you may have for holding it.

BTW several senior members of our governments and admin have been acting according to their instincts - so that seems to be an alright way to proceed, surely?

Looks like London will be first into the second wave

London pubs have been selling "takeaway pints" for at least a week, now.  Mostly venues with gardens or sitting areas - or most popular of all at parks.  Hackney's Victoria Park has been mobbed...  You don't have to take the pints hoe with you.  And they're being served in plastic pints.  :(

A small downside.

https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/bars/london-pubs-selling-takeaway-pints-beer-a4446046.html

2 hours ago, lenziebud said:

No its doesn't. 

A huge amount of the science in this is not absolute. Its a new virus that science is only going to learn about over time.

So for that reason and there are many others,  scientists can have different interpretations and present it as evidence.

The one's who want in the media and noticed are the one's giving a different opinion to SAGE. The media is not interested otherwise.

I'm not saying this is the case for all scientists taking a different view to SAGE but there are a fair few are playing this game.

You seem to be presenting science as some wholly grail when in reality its subject to the same human behaviour failings as any other i.e attention seeking 

I'm really looking forward to the first "We came out of lockdown far to late" comments once all the huge economic effects of COVID appear over the next few months.

I am giving my opinion on how scientists work based on having been a professional scientist. That bit in bold is you either misrepresenting or misunderstanding what I have said.

4 minutes ago, antrin said:

London pubs have been selling "takeaway pints" for at least a week, now.  Mostly venues with gardens or sitting areas - or most popular of all at parks.  Hackney's Victoria Park has been mobbed...  You don't have to take the pints hoe with you.  And they're being served in plastic pints.  :(

A small downside.

https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/bars/london-pubs-selling-takeaway-pints-beer-a4446046.html

Close enough, apologies. :wink:

16 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I am giving my opinion on how scientists work based on having been a professional scientist. That bit in bold is you either misrepresenting or misunderstanding what I have said.

No the bit in bold is because you have professional scientists up on such a high pedestal that you forget they are subject to all the same human behavioural frailties as the rest of us mere mortals.

9 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Looks like we will be the first then. Wouldn't be anything suprising in that.

Way to early to suggest that.

As Softhead says, there's not been anything approaching a 2nd wave SO far in any country.

Quite often a small rise that's quickly dropped to the lower numbers allowing the changes. 

The only worry is, well, we're British. :wink:

Well, last night of clapping tonight.

It's proved to be a very powerful motivational tool mainly for the NHS.

It has run it's course, being politicised by many, so time to put it to bed. 

I happen to know 3 people working in the NHS/care homes who have felt very grateful for this small gesture buy they all agree it's time for it to go.

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Way to early to suggest that.

As Softhead says, there's not been anything approaching a 2nd wave SO far in any country.

Quite often a small rise that's quickly dropped to the lower numbers allowing the changes. 

The only worry is, well, we're British:wink:

Which is why I think its a possibility !

Some things Britain does well, not sure COVID will prove to be one of them

2 hours ago, lenziebud said:

No the bit in bold is because you have professional scientists up on such a high pedestal that you forget they are subject to all the same human behavioural frailties as the rest of us mere mortals.

You're just making shit up now.

Show me a single post where I have said any of that.

1 hour ago, Yflab said:

We will know there is going to be a second wave when Oaky replenishes his toilet roll stash. 

You are behind the curve.

Told slapsalmon earlier today on another thread that I have literally just topped my remaining 14 rolls with another 24 to get me through to next week.