Coronavirus

faraway saint

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Schools should have been back by now and exams could easily have gone ahead using social distancing.

What's causing a problem here is an overly cautious minority SNP government hedging their bets and the heavily unionised teaching profession taking full advantage.

The kids are literally the last people everyone is thinking about.

The latter part of the middle sentence makes sense. 

Todays number, a very encouraging 36, lowest number since 22nd March.

Continued moves to reduce the distancing number to 1m, again, as I've said, another part of the game.

1m is pointless, apart from being a token gesture. 

Football's coming home sometime soon. 

The big issue are people still worried enough to even consider getting back to normal? 

Guest TPAFKATS
The only outbreak u need to worry about is a cock up yer arse 
[emoji867]
I expect Andy to be all over this post with his faux outrage at homophobia.

Oh...

Guest TPAFKATS
Indeed. The risk averse approach by the government in all areas, but in particular education, is baffling. This blended learning nonsense is destined to fail. How is that going to be feasible when most people are back to work, and many grandparents, who previously provided a lot of childcare, can't because they are vulnerable? Lack of education will have a massive impact on all children, but especially the most at risk. Currently, the government estimates 4500 in Scotland have the virus. That's one in 1200. Children are 50 times more likely to die in a car accident than they are of Covid. From under reacting in February and March, there is now a massive over reaction which will harm people.
Not often I agree with Andy, but he's bang on with this.
You do realise that children don't bring car crashes home and spread it around the rest of their family.

Guest TPAFKATS
Schools should have been back by now and exams could easily have gone ahead using social distancing.
What's causing a problem here is an overly cautious minority SNP government hedging their bets and the heavily unionised teaching profession taking full advantage.
I'd love to hear the logistics of the exams being cancelled then going ahead during June instead.
Also the reason schools are off us because there's little course workactually done during June so it makes sense to keep them off to allow further recovery and reduction in cases of covid.

They tried to send the schools back in England and quickly had to do a u turn.

16 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
1 hour ago, Hendo said:
Indeed. The risk averse approach by the government in all areas, but in particular education, is baffling. This blended learning nonsense is destined to fail. How is that going to be feasible when most people are back to work, and many grandparents, who previously provided a lot of childcare, can't because they are vulnerable? Lack of education will have a massive impact on all children, but especially the most at risk. Currently, the government estimates 4500 in Scotland have the virus. That's one in 1200. Children are 50 times more likely to die in a car accident than they are of Covid. From under reacting in February and March, there is now a massive over reaction which will harm people.
Not often I agree with Andy, but he's bang on with this.

You do realise that children don't bring car crashes home and spread it around the rest of their family.

With about one in 1200 of the population infected, neither will kids bring Covid home. Even if they do, on a remote chance, bring the infection home, the risk of anyone dying from it is still only about one in a hundred. That means the risk to children's families is about 120,000 to one at the moment. If there is another spike that's a separate conversation, as the risk will increase, but at present the risk is minimal and it is only risk aversion, together with the guilt over under-reacting three or four months ago, that underpins current Government strategy. 

Edited by Hendo

53 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

In every meeting I've taken part in over the past few weeks, the focus has been entirely on the pupils.

So I suggest that you bow out now before you make a complete arse of yourself yet again.

12 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

There is at least a scintilla of truth in what you write. A poor decision. 

I think both of you are speaking with benefit of hindsight, unfortunately the government did NOT have that luxury. I regard this type of criticism as cowardly in the extreme.

4 minutes ago, jaybee said:

I think both of you are speaking with benefit of hindsight, unfortunately the government did NOT have that luxury. I regard this type of criticism as cowardly in the extreme.

You are making an assumption and then asserting that to be true. I can't speak for anyone else. Lessons were there to be learned early on. They were ignored. 

Guest TPAFKATS
With about one in 1200 of the population infected, neither will kids bring Covid home. Even if they do, on a remote chance, bring the infection home, the risk of anyone dying from it is still only about one in a hundred. That means the risk to children's families is about 120,000 to one at the moment. If there is another spike that's a separate conversation, as the risk will increase, but at present the risk is minimal and it is only risk aversion, together with the guilt over under-reacting three or four months ago, that underpins current Government strategy. 
The reason schools are closed is to try and control the outbreak and then prevent or manage a second wave.

What number of cases or deaths would be acceptable in order to have kids back at school in June?

Also, if its so remote why did England back track on schools after seeing cases spike within days of opening them.

4 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

The reason schools are closed is to try and control the outbreak and then prevent or manage a second wave.

What number of cases or deaths would be acceptable in order to have kids back at school in June?

Also, if its so remote why did England back track on schools after seeing cases spike within days of opening them.

^^^^^ Loves an exaggeration, and the word "spike" when there has not been a spike in the UK, or anywhere else of any note.

9 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Swinney far from reassuring on Politics Scotland re Schools returning in August. Blended model will be for the full school year according to him, no situation he can foresee where physical distancing as he put it won't be required in that time frame. Split at best 40/60 with the 60% home learning part being non enforceable and basically up to parents to ensure compliance. It will be compulsory for pupils to attend on schooling days. Exams if happening are likely to be pushed back a few weeks and condensed probably early to mid May finishing in time for the end of June. Far from certain exams will happen though. Reading between the lines it seems exams happening will be dependent upon the compliance with what will be a "voluntary " 60% home schooling element. What a clusterf**k.

And the solution is?

8 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
9 hours ago, stlucifer said:
I think it's just typical politician speak. He doesn't want to commit to anything lest there's comeback. I personally think there will come a time, sooner rather than later, when the decision is made to fully open schools. I hope we are in a situation where the much lauded vaccine is available. That will remove it from the political spectrum.

Long way from a reliable vaccine on the volume required. I would like to here a target / aim from the SG eg X days of zero new infections or under 5 (a defined number) means we can have schools and sports crowds back. We are in danger of meandering on like we are for months / years. It needs a bit of structure and a bit of an aim the public might actually be more inclined to engage with to achieve. The "wee hints" and moving goalposts approach just frustrates.

Implied a lot and said F.... all, you do seem quite good at that.

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

You are making an assumption and then asserting that to be true. I can't speak for anyone else. Lessons were there to be learned early on. They were ignored. 

I repeat; easily said with the benefit of hindsight, the one thing whoever is in charge had to be was consistent, you pick a course / strategy and you stick with it and yes some things work and others don't.  Did they get everything right?; Clearly not , but hey look at elsewhere Ie; America.  It just irritates me to see all the experts arising now with that hindsight benefit............. saying if only this or that etc etc. it is not clever or even useful particularly, when we are not speaking in the abstract, we are discussing peoples lives / deaths, a discussion I think deserves a better platform than a football forum and the intellectual elite who reside therein.

10 minutes ago, jaybee said:

I repeat; easily said with the benefit of hindsight, the one thing whoever is in charge had to be was consistent, you pick a course / strategy and you stick with it and yes some things work and others don't.  Did they get everything right?; Clearly not , but hey look at elsewhere Ie; America.  It just irritates me to see all the experts arising now with that hindsight benefit............. saying if only this or that etc etc. it is not clever or even useful particularly, when we are not speaking in the abstract, we are discussing peoples lives / deaths, a discussion I think deserves a better platform than a football forum and the intellectual elite who reside therein.

Therefore there's no discussion allowed then on this forum about issues that are life threatening? :blink:

You first part is more than a reasonable assumption but this idea that people who are not "intellectually elite" are not worthy of commenting is, well, mince. 

You might want to let us know what level of intellect we need to comment? :lol:

18 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Well. I have made no claim to be part of an intellectual elite. What I said, I stick by. NS has done what she can within the strictures and structures of the UK. My opinion is that had she had more freedom of action and funding then the decisions made by her government might more closely have reflected  those of countries which have waged a more successful battle. Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing. But.. Read what I wrote. The Scottish Government has aspirations towards a NZ wellbeing approach to GDP. This is not the case with the the Westminster government. Closing the airports etc right away and track and tracing in those early days was always likely to result in a lesser spread and smaller death toll. A no brainer. 

Edited by St.Ricky

7 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Therefore there's no discussion allowed then on this forum about issues that are life threatening? :blink:

You first part is more than a reasonable assumption but this idea that people who are not "intellectually elite" are not worthy of commenting is, well, mince. 

You might want to let us know what level of intellect we need to comment? :lol:

5 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:
22 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Well. I have made no claim to be part of an intellectual elite. What I said, I stick by. NS has done what she can within the strictures and structures of the UK. My opinion is that had she had more freedom of action and funding then the decisions made by her government might more closely have reflected  those of countries which have waged a more successful battle. Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing. But.. Read what I wrote. The Scottish Government has aspirations towards a NZ wellbeing approach to GDP. This is not the case with the the Westminster government. Closing the airports etc right away and track and tracing in those early days was always likely to result in a lesser spread and sm

Ok Faraway how about we put Shull in charge instead of NS in Edinburgh or even of the SFA, my point being ........................anyway I am sure you get my point re who discusses what and It is simply my opinion.

Ricky: regarding Scotland and NOT the UK, there are some valid points  in the way New Zealand dealt with the virus, just was never going to happen that way in England and again as I said to Faraway I am of the opinion that the UK government did OK, not great but OK and it does seem to become a circular discussion, if this if that and so forth. Not a fan of NS but she seems to have met the challenge and did a reasonable job...........so what do I know?

7 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Ok Faraway how about we put Shull in charge instead of NS in Edinburgh or even of the SFA, my point being ........................anyway I am sure you get my point re who discusses what and It is simply my opinion.

That's a cop out and certainly NOT what I was saying and not what you were insinuating. 

The forum is mostly about opinions, although @TPAFKATS is incapable without using Google. 

As I indicated people using hindsight to beat the government are simply losing any credibility they think they have. 

15 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Ricky: regarding Scotland and NOT the UK, there are some valid points  in the way New Zealand dealt with the virus, just was never going to happen that way in England and again as I said to Faraway I am of the opinion that the UK government did OK, not great but OK and it does seem to become a circular discussion, if this if that and so forth. Not a fan of NS but she seems to have met the challenge and did a reasonable job...........so what do I know?

FM can speak for himself.