Coronavirus

faraway saint

The weight of the world on your shoulders. I guess Boris phones yourself for advice on handling the virus and Shull for advice on how to deal with Black Lives Matter. (better news though) 
Surprised you haven't had a call from him, wasn't he at any of the Ambassadors parties when you were there. [emoji23]

12 hours ago, antrin said:

The success of any country’s economy underpins the length and quality of that life.

it really should be of “concern”.

THAT is what underpins the whole debate about - when does lockdown end.

A balance MUST be struck.

i think you chucked in that line, thoughtlessly...  and might reconsider...

11 hours ago, bazil85 said:

That can certainly be true to an extent and if the impact on the economy gets to the stage where it is really impacting quality of life then absolutely.
But right now we have a very pressing issue in a global pandemic that is killing large number of people the world over. Right now a shrinking economy is very much secondary on my concern list as it should be with everyone (IMO)  

A shrinking economy in itself shouldn’t mean countries can’t look after their people’s physical and mental health. There is more than enough resources globally to do this, recession or otherwise. 

Fair enough.

Don’t bother reconsidering.

2 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Not everyone is going to agree with your take on the importance of a quick economic bounce back over human life. 

That is absolutely not what antrin has been saying.

It beggars belief you could have intepreted him in that way but there you go.

TBH, I think we've all just stopped caring about you doing things like this.

Edited by oaksoft

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

That is absolutely not what antrin has been saying.

It beggars belief you could have intepreted him in that way but there you go.

TBH, I think we've all just stopped caring about you doing things like this.

Are you mansplaining? 

You know, Baz knows that he is talking about emphasis, as is Atrin I suspect. A difficult balancing act for any government in these circumstances. Is opening the economy desirable? Of course it is. At any price in lives.. No in my opinion. Is it likely that opening up leads to a further spread.. Yes. Would remaining in lockdown have a cost in human lives.. Yes.. 

It's a risk assessment that I wouldn't like to have to make. In the equation I see the benefits and risks of both approaches. As I said, imo so do Antrin and Baz but express their concerns from different viewpoints. 

All as it should be. 

Spain is open and welcoming UK holidaymakers......................never seen that coming.

Unfortunately the UK has this ludicrous 14 day self quarantine rule...........................which will disappear soon. 

Buenos días señor [emoji16]

Desayuno inglés completo, sin frijoles. [emoji14]

Spain is open and welcoming UK holidaymakers......................never seen that coming.
Unfortunately the UK has this ludicrous 14 day self quarantine rule...........................which will disappear soon. 
Still appears to include measures I was mentioning yesterday. Spanish officials saying arrivals must meet and pass a three stage test at airports and it's at our expense. Also need the FCO and quarantine advice scraped as you say. I'm willing to wait a bit yet. Going to Paris in October and have a notion to travel on to Barcelona for a few days after that if all goes well. Always fancied a train journey like that so looking at something like that.

3 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Are you mansplaining? 

You know, Baz knows that he is talking about emphasis, as is Atrin I suspect. A difficult balancing act for any government in these circumstances. Is opening the economy desirable? Of course it is. At any price in lives.. No in my opinion. Is it likely that opening up leads to a further spread.. Yes. Would remaining in lockdown have a cost in human lives.. Yes.. 

It's a risk assessment that I wouldn't like to have to make. In the equation I see the benefits and risks of both approaches. As I said, imo so do Antrin and Baz but express their concerns from different viewpoints. 

All as it should be. 

Current Government estimates that I Scotland, around 1 person in 2500 has the virus. Therefore, to catch the virus, you would need to find that 1 person in 2500, and probably be in close proximity to them for a period of time. 

So, pretty remote risk of catching the virus, never mind developing serious complications from it. Yet still we have a set of nonsensical blanket rules - small weddings indoor allowed, but you can't go inside to visit family, unless you live on your own - which are just crazy.

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

Current Government estimates that I Scotland, around 1 person in 2500 has the virus. Therefore, to catch the virus, you would need to find that 1 person in 2500, and probably be in close proximity to them for a period of time. 

So, pretty remote risk of catching the virus, never mind developing serious complications from it. Yet still we have a set of nonsensical blanket rules - small weddings indoor allowed, but you can't go inside to visit family, unless you live on your own - which are just crazy.

Small but significant perhaps 

5 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Wait, family can come indoors to use the toilet. :lol:

This nonsense living alone, so my granddaughter could come in and cuddle me, or my wife, if we were on our own, but not both of us?

Utter nonsense. 

PS We just had a small wedding, my daughter and granddaughter attended my wife and I retaking our vows.

It was very special. 

And they used the toilet. 

Edited by faraway saint

Moi, [emoji54]

see me bilingual [emoji16]

I was in an exchange on Twitter the other day with a Spaniard living in Brussels. He wrote his final comment in Spanish so I used Google Translate. I then replied "Noo yer jist bein a tadger" - wonder how Google Translate got on with that...

[emoji846]