Coronavirus

faraway saint

Excellent news (if confirmed) that schools will be given permission to assume normal timetables etc. in August, if the current trend in figures continues.

I means that we won't have a transitionary period of blended learning for a couple of weeks in August.

Makes life a lot easier for everyone.

Edited by FTOF

14 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Social distancing down to 1m in England from 4th July.

Pubs, restaurants, social clubs and caravan and campsites all opening same date.

This puts a lot of pressure on Sturgeon to get moving.

I don't see why this should be the case. 

Excellent news (if confirmed) that schools will be given permission to assume normal timetables etc. in August, if the current trend in figures continues.
I means that we won't have a transitionary period of blended learning for a couple of weeks in August.
If that is true (any source of the rumour) it's great news

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
1 hour ago, oaksoft said:
Social distancing down to 1m in England from 4th July.
Pubs, restaurants, social clubs and caravan and campsites all opening same date.
This puts a lot of pressure on Sturgeon to get moving.

Hasn't she already said 15 July, hardly pressure given it's a matter of days behind only. 2 July 2nd 2m review too ie before 4 July. We are going along ok if we maintain the 10 days or so behind them, seems sensible.

Unfortunately my patience has expired.

We should be at WHO recommendations of 1m right now.

Campsites should be open.

Libraries should be open with suitable restrictions.

There is absolutely no justification for these things being shut?

Zero deaths again yesterday?

She's just too bloody cautious.

I've booked a wee camping trip to England on 5th July and I'll be off for a bit.

Edited by oaksoft

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Pretty much as we thought a few weeks ago.

Saves teachers/schools wasting time playing at social distancing. 😉

Guest TPAFKATS
I've booked a wee camping trip to England on 5th July and I'll be off for a bit.
At the risk of being accused of mansplaining to you (again)

The approach that you think is cautious is one that is endorsed by public health experts in order to get the virus to such a low level that we can maintain it there and if there are local spikes these are manageable.

It's this approach that should allow schools to reopen as normal or close to it.

You might not agree with this approach but you aren't an expert. You are just a fud on a football forum, same as the rest of us.

Enjoy !

42 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Hope there's no WiFi/signal. 👍

49 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Any chance you might consider staying down there? 

Getting the blended learning stuff out there now and getting people used to the idea two months before it's due to be implemented is smart work by the SG. If things are back to 'normal', no harm done, if not, everyone's ready for it.

WM, on the other hand, has said it will be back to 'normal' when the English schools return. Can you imagine the scenes if they have to roll back on that?

Like I said, smart thinking.

45 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Pretty much as we thought a few weeks ago.

Saves teachers/schools wasting time playing at social distancing. 😉

Being in the "old fart" category, I shall be ensuring a semblance of social distancing with the aid of a metre stick. Scared smiley 18

Guest TPAFKATS

Getting the blended learning stuff out there now and getting people used to the idea two months before it's due to be implemented is smart work by the SG. If things are back to 'normal', no harm done, if not, everyone's ready for it.

WM, on the other hand, has said it will be back to 'normal' when the English schools return. Can you imagine the scenes if they have to roll back on that?

It'll just be another thing that they roll back on. They've already done it with schools, testing, tracing app...

6 minutes ago, salmonbuddie said:

It has always been a case of "wait and see". Of course preparations for the worst had to be made. We had already put several parts of course work into digital format, as that is how we've been trying to engage pupils over the past few months. So blended learning was really the only option.

However, compared to a month ago, it is a very different situation regarding Covid numbers, so the strategy was always going to have a degree of flexibility.

The big mistake IMO was Swinney's last proclamation where he painted a doomsday scenario of blended learning for "possibly a year". That was bound to cause all sorts of roaring and greeting. The First minister was quick to respond to that gaffe and made a far more measured statement not long after, saying what Swinney should actually have said.

The latest statement, is exactly what they should be saying at this point. There can be no certainty regarding how the school year is going to start, but based on the current trend, relaxation of social distancing is on the cards and plans will be to start as normally as possible. Everyone benefits from this.

It has always been a case of "wait and see". Of course preparations for the worst had to be made. We had already put several parts of course work into digital format, as that is how we've been trying to engage pupils over the past few months. So blended learning was really the only option.
However, compared to a month ago, it is a very different situation regarding Covid numbers, so the strategy was always going to have a degree of flexibility.
The big mistake IMO was Swinney's last proclamation where he painted a doomsday scenario of blended learning for "possibly a year". That was bound to cause all sorts of roaring and greeting. The First minister was quick to respond to that gaffe and made a far more measured statement not long after, saying what Swinney should actually have said.
The latest statement, is exactly what they should be saying at this point. There can be no certainty regarding how the school year is going to start, but based on the current trend, relaxation of social distancing is on the cards and plans will be to start as normally as possible. Everyone benefits from this.

I'm not convinced it wasn't deliberate, classic good cop/bad cop maybe? In the unlikely situation that it does turn out to be needed for a year then no-one can say they weren't warned.