Coronavirus

faraway saint

37 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Operation FEAR the 2nd wave well under way I seeScreenshot_20200625-165537_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

Yep. It's absolutely pathetic. No sooner has one set of panic headlines disappeared than another takes their place.

First seriously hot day for ages and rather than celebrate that, the headlines are warning about sunburn and a couple of beaches in the South being over-run.

There are people absolutely gagging for a second wave so they can say "told you so".

Wish they'd all bugger off TBH.

Edited by oaksoft

Guest TPAFKATS

Covid-19 deaths reported 24th June 2020.

Denmark = 0
Germany = 0
Netherlands = 2
Switzerland = 2
Portugal = 3
SCOTLAND = 4
Belgium = 9
ENGLAND = 141

Yet people still want us to follow England's lead.

Profit before people

2 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Denmark = 0
Germany = 0
Netherlands = 2
Switzerland = 2
Portugal = 3
SCOTLAND = 4
Belgium = 9
ENGLAND = 141

Profit before people

Denmark population = 5.8m

Germany population = 83.8m

Netherlands population = 17.1m

Switzerland population = 8.6m

Portugal population = 10.2m

Scotland population = 5.4m

Belgium population - 11.5m

England population = 56m

Just for some balance, not like you to try to post slanted facts. 

Oh................image.png.5af7c4fd264980df6713eec01514a442.png

Denmark population = 5.8m
Germany population = 83.8m
Netherlands population = 17.1m
Switzerland population = 8.6m
Portugal population = 10.2m
Scotland population = 5.4m
Belgium population - 11.5m
England population = 56m
Just for some balance, not like you to try to post slanted facts. 
Oh................image.png.5af7c4fd264980df6713eec01514a442.png

Scotland has less than 10% of England's population, faraway, factor that in and it's less than 40 for Scotland vs 141 for England. And that's the comparator for us in Scotland.

Equally, the comparator for the UK is the rest of Europe, not the world, and the UK is failing badly by that measure.

11 minutes ago, salmonbuddie said:

Scotland has less than 10% of England's population, faraway, factor that in and it's less than 40 for Scotland vs 141 for England. And that's the comparator for us in Scotland.

Equally, the comparator for the UK is the rest of Europe, not the world, and the UK is failing badly by that measure.

And that is closer to a fair comparison, which I knew and you knew.

It seems TPTWAT can't count, and we're back to apples and oranges.

If you remove Germany the total for ALL the other countries he's "randomly" selected barely have more than England.

The UK is behind in the virus hitting us and, therefore, leaving us.

Don't get me wrong, it's not great, but it's not as bad a some try to paint it.

I could go further and choose another day to see where that leads us but I can't be arsed. 

OH, Look at all the other countries that have more, or similar, totals, wonder why he didn't quote them?

Don't kid yourself, he's a twisted individual who has done nothing but politically point score throughout this. 

Edited by faraway saint

Drat those pesky panic merchants from the ONS who today published a report on the virus in England concluding

• Evidence shows that the number of people in England testing positive has decreased since the start of the study, and has now levelled off.

• Estimated numbers of new infections of coronavirus (COVID-19), based on tests conducted between 11 May to 24 May, 25 May to 7 June and 8 June to 21 June 2020, England

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/england25june2020#incidence-rate

Actually if you look at the figures they appear to have gone beyond "levelling off" and in some cases are starting to increase again.

IIRC England started to ease lockdown restrictions on May 13...

@theknickerwetter

AwakenWithJP vs The ONS in conjuction with IQVIA, Oxford University and the UK Biocentre - who to trust!  :pepsi

Edited by Bud the Baker

7 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

You were hailing single figures a short time ago saying the numbers were shrinking. 9-149. YEP Shrinking fast.🙄

Eh? :blink:

Where did I hail single figures? 

The averages, and trend, are shrinking, quite dramatically.

I certainly DIDN'T use one days low number as any "hallelujah" moment.

If you feel I've massaged the figures or deliberately tried to mislead please show me. 

Edited by faraway saint

44 minutes ago, salmonbuddie said:

I tend to share your view that, proportionally, Scotland is faring better than our southern neighbours. Comparisons within Europe make sense to me too but not so much for southern Asia, South America or Africa who seem to be at different stages on the virus. 

Guest TPAFKATS
You were hailing single figures a short time ago saying the numbers were shrinking. 9-149. YEP Shrinking fast.[emoji849]
He's been quoting nonsense for months now. Eventually he might be right... One day.
They say a stopped watch is right twice a day. Faraway is more like Stonehenge, once or twice a year he might get his numbers right.

1 minute ago, TPAFKATS said:

He's been quoting nonsense for months now. Eventually he might be right... One day.
They say a stopped watch is right twice a day. Faraway is more like Stonehenge, once or twice a year he might get his numbers right.

Prove me wrong....................as I do with your drivel. :lol:

You're patter is gash by the way. :byebye

Guest TPAFKATS

Wow, that's quite the post you've quoted by our resident covid expert from arbroath.

Not sure he's worked out that 0 deaths x whatever factor get you to England's population still equals zero.

Interesting to claim that others have a higher number of deaths than England. Do we really want to say hey it's bad in England but it's not as bad as basket cases like USA, Brazil or Mexico. Celebrate that success, Ffs!

India has a population of around 1 billion, again let's celebrate that England had less deaths. Double ffs!

Chile is the outlier however it may be affected by having a border with its larger basket case neighbour. Hmm

12 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Denmark = 0
Germany = 0
Netherlands = 2
Switzerland = 2
Portugal = 3
SCOTLAND = 4
Belgium = 9
ENGLAND = 141

Profit before people

Denmark - Out of lockdown since June 8th unlike Scotland

Germany - Out of lockdown since late May

Netherlands - Out of lockdown since 11th May

Switzerland - Out of lockdown since 11th May

Portugal - Out of lockdown since 18th May

Scotland - Still strangling the economy when the numbers have been low enough to open things up much quicker.

Belgium - Out of lockdown since mid May

Edited by faraway saint

37 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Denmark - Out of lockdown since June 8th unlike Scotland

Germany - Out of lockdown since late May

Netherlands - Out of lockdown since 11th May

Switzerland - Out of lockdown since 11th May

Portugal - Out of lockdown since 18th May

Scotland - Still strangling the economy when the numbers have been low enough to open things up much quicker.

Belgium - Out of lockdown since mid May

This is not really an argument for either side as all the other countries are further down the track than the UK. It might be better to say that, as far as we can tell. Scotland are doing far better than England who are roughly on the same curve so that is a much better comparison and it's stark.

4 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

This is not really an argument for either side as all the other countries are further down the track than the UK. It might be better to say that, as far as we can tell. Scotland are doing far better than England who are roughly on the same curve so that is a much better comparison and it's stark.

Yet is was ok for @TPAFKATS to use these countries to bash England? :blink:

I made the exact same point about the timing last night, see below.

Since Scotland is doing much better isn't it reasonable to expect the economy to be given a boost, as every other country has when the numbers are seen as manageable? 

11 hours ago, faraway saint said:

The arguing and point scoring about unreliable data is completely pointless IMO. Without exception, people will argue based on their personal views and skew it to suit their own agenda. i.e. in support of the SNP or against anything that criticises the UK government.

My personal view is that I'd much rather be in Scotland rather than England just now, as I, for the most part,  prefer the careful approach we seem to be following. That's not say that I agree with everything, as there are certain matters that I believe we should be moving a bit more quickly upon. And No, that's not the pubs opening.:P

When you look at other countries, the majority of spikes seem to be related to large congregations of individuals. In the countries that this has happened, the authorities have moved very quickly to try and suppress the infection. If this happens in the UK, I'm not convinced our response would be as efficient. That's when I see gatherings like yesterday in Dorset, I just think "WTF?".

The general pointers that seem to be accepted by most on here are statements from the WHO .For example, their pronouncement on the 1 metre social distancing*.

Their latest announcement has a lot of points to ponder. It would be incredibly foolish to dismiss their concerns out of hand. However, to accept their doomsday scenario as a certainty, would be equally foolish IMO.

https://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/health-emergencies/coronavirus-covid-19/statements/statement-preparing-for-the-autumn-is-a-priority-now-at-the-who-regional-office-for-europe

* Good article on Social distancing distance.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/social-distancing-how-far-two-metres-one-reduce-coronavirus-a9561306.html

12 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Eh? :blink:

Where did I hail single figures? 

The averages, and trend, are shrinking, quite dramatically.

I certainly DIDN'T use one days low number as any "hallelujah" moment.

If you feel I've massaged the figures or deliberately tried to mislead please show me. 

I don't think you're the one massaging the figures or misleading people

14 hours ago, faraway saint said:

And that is closer to a fair comparison, which I knew and you knew.

It seems TPTWAT can't count, and we're back to apples and oranges.

If you remove Germany the total for ALL the other countries he's "randomly" selected barely have more than England.

Don't get me wrong, it's not great, but it's not as bad a some try to paint it.

I could go further and choose another day to see where that leads us but I can't be arsed. 

OH, Look at all the other countries that have more, or similar, totals, wonder why he didn't quote them?

Don't kid yourself, he's a twisted individual who has done nothing but politically point score throughout this. 

Countries closest to England by population (three above and three below) covid19 deaths 24/06/2020

Italy 18

South Africa 103

Tanzania 0

Mynamir 0

South Korea 1

Colombia 87

Now fair to say there could be some reporting choices in a couple of those countries that don't reflect a true picture but anyway we cut this, England's handling has been completely shocking and far below the majority of other countries that have comparables. The pace they're reopening reflects that economic concerns are more important than human life. For some that might be okay, others not agreeing isn't a bad thing. 

10 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Countries closest to England by population (three above and three below) covid19 deaths 24/06/2020

Italy 18

South Africa 103

Tanzania 0

Mynamir 0

South Korea 1

Colombia 87

Now fair to say there could be some reporting choices in a couple of those countries that don't reflect a true picture but anyway we cut this, England's handling has been completely shocking and far below the majority of other countries that have comparables. The pace they're reopening reflects that economic concerns are more important than human life. For some that might be okay, others not agreeing isn't a bad thing. 

What causes the virus to spread? 

Guest TPAFKATS
He's all over the place consistently contradicting himself, just to say England's doing great and Scotland should be following them.

UK locked down with 72 deaths in a day. England is opening up the High risk parts of the economy with over 140 deaths per day.
This is in the middle of a hot dry summer, christ knows what will happen when it gets colder and damper.

Scotland is trying to remain in lockdown a little longer so we don't get hit as bad when lockdown ends and cases invariably rise again. It's a bit pish now, for a better gain at the other end.