Coronavirus

faraway saint

Guest TPAFKATS

That WHO announcement was at the beginning of June.
Why has Nicola waited until next Friday to make it mandatory to wear one?
Are you prepared to ask ANY questions at all?

My guess would be that it's because this is the same time that she is lifting restrictions on retail so more people will be out and about and in enclosed spaces.

Not sure why you seem to be accusing me of not answering questions, particularly when this one you have asked me seems to be asking me to answer on behalf of the first minister.

1 minute ago, TPAFKATS said:

My guess would be that it's because this is the same time that she is lifting restrictions on retail so more people will be out and about and in enclosed spaces.

Not sure why you seem to be accusing me of not answering questions, particularly when this one you have asked me seems to be asking me to answer on behalf of the first minister.

😂😂😂

Guest TPAFKATS

How needy do you have to be to constantly reply to someone who has you on ignore and you said you were also ignoring.
#creepy
#needy
#attentionseeking
#arbroath

56 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That WHO announcement was at the beginning of June.

Why has Nicola waited until next Friday to make it mandatory to wear one?

Are you prepared to ask ANY questions at all?

There are probably plenty of reasons.

Maybe she's been asked already and we've missed the reasons why.

Whether the answer is acceptable or not is for us to make our mind up.

I suspect one of the reasons given, will be that the medical advisors took a while to come to the decision, for one reason or another.

I do think that it does seem overly long.

Also, maybe they thought that recommending that face masks be worn in shops would be enough for the majority of the general public to wear them. Clearly it hasn't been. I popped in to Aldi yesterday to buy beer from their beer festival and out of around 70-80 shoppers, I was one of half a dozen wearing face masks.

Also, if she had announced it was starting on Monday, no doubt you'd have the same people moaning about why are we waiting a further week, complaining that they haven't had enough time to buy face masks/coverings.

Edited by FTOF

2 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

I am accusing you of not ASKING questions of our dear leader.

I didn't say anything about you not answering.

Edited by oaksoft

3 hours ago, FTOF said:

On March the 15th you twat.:lol:

And only if you don't use it properly.

Good article here looking at the factors that led to changes.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-science-of-mask-wearing-hasnt-changed-so-why-have-our-expectations/

Yes, March 15th was the point of it you fool! 😂

You’re almost as big an imbecile as @faraway saint 😜

This highlights how expert advice is total nonsense. 

why face masks don’t work 

https://web.archive.org/web/20200509053953/https://www.oralhealthgroup.com/features/face-masks-dont-work-revealing-review/

with a declining R number, a steady overall decrease on the fatality rate and number of new cases and further opening of the economy then the time is right.

as a safety professional, i know that the amount of time that people tend to adhere to a precaution is limited unless there is a structure there to enforce it and that timing is everything..  the added carrot of greater free movement in towns and cities is also an incentive tagged on to a requirement so it's good psychology

Bottom line is that the mask culture is here to stay and to put it in place when things are really bad is tempting people to disregard it when the situation improves (see english beaches) so stepping this up at a good point with good news stories makes very good sense

You won’t see this mentioned in @TPAFKATS “wall to wall MSM coverage”

It’s only true if it appears on the BBC, in The National and the various tin foil hat nationalist websites that tell him England has had 3 times as many excess deaths as Scotland 😂

Hidden in the small print at the bottom, more than 10% of cases were double counted.

Now that is embarrassing 

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/#category=nations&map=case

The total lab-confirmed UK cases figure for 2 July 2020 is 29,726 less than the figure reported for 1 July 2020 due to the deduplication of Pillar 2 data for England.

T

1 minute ago, beyond our ken said:

with a declining R number, a steady overall decrease on the fatality rate and number of new cases 

Declining R number AND number of new cases?

How to contradict yourself in one easy sentence 😂

Actually, isn’t it strange how the R number discussion has suddenly disappeared?

Its as if the number of cases are so low that it’s been rendered redundant 

52 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

with a declining R number, a steady overall decrease on the fatality rate and number of new cases and further opening of the economy then the time is right.

as a safety professional, i know that the amount of time that people tend to adhere to a precaution is limited unless there is a structure there to enforce it and that timing is everything..  the added carrot of greater free movement in towns and cities is also an incentive tagged on to a requirement so it's good psychology

Bottom line is that the mask culture is here to stay and to put it in place when things are really bad is tempting people to disregard it when the situation improves (see english beaches) so stepping this up at a good point with good news stories makes very good sense

No it isn't. :lol:

31 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

https://web.archive.org/web/20200509053953/https://www.oralhealthgroup.com/features/face-masks-dont-work-revealing-review/

Why face masks do work, from last week (not three and a half years ago) based on data from 172 recent observational studies.

https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S0140-6736(20)31142-9

Up yer hole with a sausage roll, you antagonistic ball bag. Mad smiley 240

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Why face masks do work, from last week (not three and a half years ago) based on data from 172 recent observational studies.

https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S0140-6736(20)31142-9

Up yer hole with a sausage roll, you antagonistic ball bag. Mad smiley 240

No heard that for a hunner years. :lol:

11 minutes ago, antrin said:

Talking about antagonism...

the Lancet has supported Completely wrong causes more than once.

anti-vaxxers being One that was, still is,  really embarrassing.

Indeed. And they will be wrong again.

As far as I can remember, a significant proportion of the medical profession fell on that particular sword, which IIRC was based on data from  one study, whose author, Andrew Wakefield went out of his way to produce fraudulent work. Many of the patients in the study had law suits against the vaccine company and their solicitors funded the study. It was actually a journalist who did most of the work to expose the author as a fraud. Pretty ironic as the findings of the paper were spread by a frenzy in the media, with , unsurprisingly, The Daily Mail being one of the main culprits.

In the paper I have referred to, regarding face masks, there is data from 172 sources with raw data, which suggests that there may be more than a hint of veracity to its findings.

The MMR fraud only served as great example of why you should read through papers like these, find correlating evidence elsewhere,and not simply take them at face value. It's a great example that I use with pupils to illustrate the potential shortcomings of scientific research and the importance of reliable data.

The Lancet has been wrong much more recently in relation to COVID-19. Fools rush in and all that.

https://theconversation.com/lancet-gate-in-the-covid-19-pandemic-era-is-it-alright-for-science-to-be-wrong-140715

There's also the small fact that the article used to claim that face masks don't work, was actually focussing on protecting the user from being infected and is therefore completely irrelevant to a discussion based on whether face masks prevent the spread of pathogens or not.

Conclusions
The primary reason for mandating the wearing of face masks is to protect dental personnel from airborne pathogens. This review has established that face masks are incapable of providing such a level of protection.

Guest TPAFKATS
I am accusing you of not ASKING questions of our dear leader.
I didn't say anything about you not answering.

Ah, OK. I misread, happens to us all

On 7/2/2020 at 5:12 PM, faraway saint said:

Aye, but, it seems, you can nip in and out of the shops till next Friday without a mask. :hammer

It's ok, the virus will let you off for a week. :lol:

Probably in line with the increased numbers of people in shops and more freedom. As circulation increases so does the risk of passing the virus, hence the change in approach. 

4 hours ago, Sue Denim said:

What you fail to recognise is the final paragraph which states that:-

"Conclusions
The primary reason for mandating the wearing of face masks is to protect dental personnel from airborne pathogens. This review has established that face masks are incapable of providing such a level of protection. Unless the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, national and provincial dental associations and regulatory agencies publically admit this fact, they will be guilty of perpetuating a myth which will be a disservice to the dental profession and its patients. It would be beneficial if, as a consequence of the review, all present infection control recommendations were subjected to the same rigorous testing as any new clinical intervention. Professional associations and governing bodies must ensure the clinical efficacy of quality improvement procedures prior to them being mandated. It is heartening to know that such a trend is gaining a momentum which might reveal the inadequacies of other long held dental infection control assumptions. Surely, the hallmark of a mature profession is one which permits new evidence to trump established beliefs. In 1910, Dr. C. Chapin, a public health pioneer, summarized this idea by stating, “We should not be ashamed to change our methods; rather, we should be ashamed not to do so.” 36 Until this occurs, as this review has revealed, dentists have nothing to fear by unmasking. OH"

What relevance does this have to the wearing of masks by the general population?

6 hours ago, FTOF said:

Indeed. And they will be wrong again.

As far as I can remember, a significant proportion of the medical profession fell on that particular sword, which IIRC was based on data from  one study, whose author, Andrew Wakefield went out of his way to produce fraudulent work. Many of the patients in the study had law suits against the vaccine company and their solicitors funded the study. It was actually a journalist who did most of the work to expose the author as a fraud. Pretty ironic as the findings of the paper were spread by a frenzy in the media, with , unsurprisingly, The Daily Mail being one of the main culprits.

In the paper I have referred to, regarding face masks, there is data from 172 sources with raw data, which suggests that there may be more than a hint of veracity to its findings.

The MMR fraud only served as great example of why you should read through papers like these, find correlating evidence elsewhere,and not simply take them at face value. It's a great example that I use with pupils to illustrate the potential shortcomings of scientific research and the importance of reliable data.

The Lancet has been wrong much more recently in relation to COVID-19. Fools rush in and all that.

https://theconversation.com/lancet-gate-in-the-covid-19-pandemic-era-is-it-alright-for-science-to-be-wrong-140715

There's also the small fact that the article used to claim that face masks don't work, was actually focussing on protecting the user from being infected and is therefore completely irrelevant to a discussion based on whether face masks prevent the spread of pathogens or not.

Aye.

i knew all that.  I’d read the report and was only suggesting you DON’T use The Lancet as proof to squash another POV..

it is also fallible.

and I’ve read multiple studies as to why those choosing to “wear” masks will likely inflict self harm.

mostly by “trapping” pathogens. And thus inflicting self harm.

I’m not all that fussed, though.

I am in two minds about whether to comply with this stupid rule of wearing a mask.

Right now I am veering towards not wearing it and seeing what they do about it.

It will be interesting to see how many openly defy this. If it's more than a handful I think things could get tasty quite quickly.