Coronavirus

faraway saint

2 hours ago, Sue Denim said:

The “case”demic gathers pace....

The prevalence of Covid is now so low that the false positive rate of the test now means that many positive “cases” are in fact negatives.

And of those that are actually positive, most will not actually be infectious never mind symptomatic.

It was all supposed to be about “flattening the curve” so that people didn’t die as a result of the NHS being overwhelmed, Not only was the NHS never overwhelmed but less people have died in hospital during the pandemic than the 5 year average by a wide margin.

The simple way to bring the casedemic to an end is to stop testing. 

Correct.

We increase testing and the government are horrified to find new cases. What on earth were they expecting? This is just baffling behaviour and it seems nobody is calling her out on this.

Between the false positives, the asymptomatic cases and just 66 cases in one day in a population of millions, it makes you wonder what the aim is here. Clearly it's not about flattening the curve. All that is happening now is that the next wave (and no doubt there will be one) is being delayed.......until winter hits and now we have seasonal flu to deal with as well as covid.

Honestly, if someone can explain the strategy to me at this point, I'm all ears because I've got no explanation for this at all.

Edited by oaksoft

Guest TPAFKATS

Correct.
We increase testing and the government are horrified to find new cases. What on earth were they expecting? This is just baffling behaviour and it seems nobody is calling her out on this.
Between the false positives, the asymptomatic cases and just 66 cases in one day in a population of millions, it makes you wonder what the aim is here. Clearly it's not about flattening the curve. All that is happening now is that the next wave (and no doubt there will be one) is being delayed.......until winter hits and now we have seasonal flu to deal with as well as covid.
Honestly, if someone can explain the strategy to me at this point, I'm all ears because I've got no explanation for this at all.

I was under the impression the aim was to try to stop cunts spreading covid at house parties.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Correct.

It's a classic example of confirmation bias.

A narrative is created, in this case there is a deadly virus about which will wreak devastation. Back in March and April, this was correct - it was a real threat and lots of people, especially the elderly, were in hospital or dying.

Once you convince yourself the sky is falling down, it's difficult to unconvince yourself of this. So information which confirms your theory (in this case an increase in those testing positive) is exaggerated, while information which disproves the theory (only 2 deaths in 7 weeks and only 5 people currently in intensive care) are minimised or ignored.

Guest TPAFKATS
A narrative is created, in this case there is a deadly virus about which will wreak devastation. Back in March and April, this was correct - it was a real threat and lots of people, especially the elderly, were in hospital or dying.
Once you convince yourself the sky is falling down, it's difficult to unconvince yourself of this. So information which confirms your theory (in this case an increase in those testing positive) is exaggerated, while information which disproves the theory (only 2 deaths in 7 weeks and only 5 people currently in intensive care) are minimised or ignored.
The current strategy is to keep hospital admissions, intensive care admissions and deaths to the current really low levels so that we have a better chance to not be swamped again in autumn / winter.

24 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
28 minutes ago, Hendo said:

The current strategy is to keep hospital admissions, intensive care admissions and deaths to the current really low levels so that we have a better chance to not be swamped again in autumn / winter.

Well, they've achieved that, 2 deaths in 7 weeks and 5 people in intensive care. Hospital admissions are way down, mainly because other treatments have been paused. It's a very strange approach to stop treating people who are currently ill to keep space for those who might get ill in the future.

Anyone who thinks the Scottish Government has dealt with this well isn't paying attention.

Guest TPAFKATS
Well, they've achieved that, 2 deaths in 7 weeks and 5 people in intensive care. Hospital admissions are way down, mainly because other treatments have been paused. It's a very strange approach to stop treating people who are currently ill to keep space for those who might get ill in the future.
Anyone who thinks the Scottish Government has dealt with this well isn't paying attention.
The NHS isn't doing this

13 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
20 minutes ago, Hendo said:

The NHS isn't doing this

My son has asthma. A couple of weeks ago, probably as he was back at school, he got a cold and it went into his chest and made his asthma worse. We phoned NHS 24, and were asked to take him to hospital. They took his oxygen levels once (the issue was the levels were fluctuating), said he was fine and sent him home. He was there for about half an hour. We were advised to follow up with his GP, which amounted to a two minute phone call and an instruction to not bring him to the surgery.

The same thing happened to him last October. Then, he was in hospital for ten hours as the monitored him, and the following day had a full consultation with the GP.

The NHS have reduced services for those that need them to create capacity for those that don't, under Government instruction.

3 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:
3 hours ago, Hendo said:

So you reckon the NHS has been deliberately run at a fraction of capacity and non-covid patients being routinely denied treatment for the last few months so that in 4 months time, the NHS doesn't get swamped?

That makes as much sense as most of your other ramblings.

Edited by oaksoft

Correct.

I keep reading about this second wave. Is there really going to be one....... or will it just be seasonal flu? Who are the experts that are predicting this, what’s it based on?
As you’ve stated, you test more people you’ll get more positives/false positives. 5 people in intensive care, no mention of age or underlying conditions being given anymore....... why?
Of all those new cases that have forced local lockdowns........ how many have died? how many are in hospital?

IMO we need to try get back to normal, i for one have had enough.

6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

So you reckon the NHS has been deliberately run at a fraction of capacity and non-covid patients being routinely denied treatment for the last few months so that in 4 months time, the NHS doesn't get swamped?

It's a well established fact that the majority of non Covid related medical interventions haven't been taking place, and while these are gradually coming back, they are still well below what would usually happen, with a massive backlog now in place. So yes, those that need medical treatment have been denied it over the last few months.

Edited by Hendo

Guest TPAFKATS
I didn't say that though, did I?

Guest TPAFKATS

Your first post refers to I'll people currently not being treated. This is what I responded to when saying that this isn't happening.

Your second post refers to what happened months ago at height of cases and hospital admissions.

Your post about your son is an example of someone who was ill getting treated by the NHS. You posted it as an example of non treatment.

It's a well established fact that the majority of non Covid related medical interventions haven't been taking place, and while these are gradually coming back, they are still well below what would usually happen, with a massive backlog now in place. So yes, those that need medical treatment have been denied it over the last few months.

Guest TPAFKATS

It's not a well established fact.
Its a well established narrative.

Guest TPAFKATS

I keep reading about this second wave. Is there really going to be one....... or will it just be seasonal flu? Who are the experts that are predicting this, what’s it based on?
As you’ve stated, you test more people you’ll get more positives/false positives. 5 people in intensive care, no mention of age or underlying conditions being given anymore....... why?
Of all those new cases that have forced local lockdowns........ how many have died? how many are in hospital?

The experts who are predicting a second wave are the same epidemiologists, microbiologists, virologist and public health experts who tell us that we need to keep cases low and try to stop it spreading out of control.

They are experts as you say, so I'm more likely to listen to them than fannies on a football forum.

7 hours ago, Russian Saint said:

You've asked a lot of questions there. If you aren't aware of the science behind the answers and reasoning for the approach (as it seems given you're asking questions), I would suggest some reading up on it before coming to any conclusion never mind your noted one. 

Edited by bazil85

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

It's not a well established fact.
Its a well established narrative.

It's not a narrative, all routine surgeries were stopped. Some have started back at a very reduced capacity and others are still on hold. 

GPS have not allowed patients inside the buildings since around the same time. 

Eta heres a link from the 17th of March detailing the stopping of surgery. 

https://www.gov.scot/news/nhs-scotland-placed-on-emergency-footing/

Edited by slapsalmon

The experts who are predicting a second wave are the same epidemiologists, microbiologists, virologist and public health experts who tell us that we need to keep cases low and try to stop it spreading out of control.

They are experts as you say, so I'm more likely to listen to them than fannies on a football forum.

Experts the likes of Neil Ferguson? There have been other “experts” that have been openly criticised and in some cases been put on administrative leave for daring to go against the WHO narrative.

Who to believe?.........Who knows.

I don't normally share personal details on here but I'm going to make an exception here because this sort of nonsense is because of covid panicking and it has to stop.

Just off the phone with someone from my health centre and it went something like this:

"Mr XXX it's YYY medical practice. Please confirm your DOB"

"...."

"OK Mr XXX, you have an appointment to see Dr Z tomorrow.  at 10am, Unfortunately it's going to be a telephone appointment".

"It can't be. It needs to be face to face".

"I'm sorry Mr XXX I know you WANT a face to face but we all need to do our bit in these times".

"It's a prostate exam".

"(3 second pause) Hold the line please....(30 second delay).....OK well the only thing I can do is assign you to a female GP. Are you OK with that".

"Unless she has hooves instead of hands,  I'm fine with that."

There are two questions here. Firstly, why are we allowing GPs to cancel appointments without them having the courtesy of actually reading the patients notes first? And secondly, what is the big deal about gender for these types of tests? She's a perfectly good and highly experienced GP.

Anyway, that made me laugh this morning so I thought I'd share. :lol:

Edited by oaksoft

8 hours ago, Russian Saint said:

Oh I'm with you on this.

Personally, I think there WILL be a second wave in winter but I'm basing that on zero evidence. I'm no longer listening to the "experts" because they've shown that they can't be trusted.

There's an interesting correlation between her response to covid and the increase in support for independence. It's looking like covid might be the thing which decisively moves the country towards Yes and she'll be terrified of that advantage slipping away if she starts making serious mistakes. I wonder if this is at the back of her mind, driving her decisions. It has to be. Surely.

2 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Make sure you "scarf up" before going to the shops. :lol:

Those same experts think that's what will be enough to save you.

You really need to at least start actively questioning what you're being told rather than passively absorbing everything the SNP feeds you. By all means, continue to support the same viewpoint afterwards but FFS try showing some gumption for once.

Make sure you "scarf up" before going to the shops. [emoji38]
Those same experts think that's what will be enough to save you.
You really need to at least start actively questioning what you're being told rather than passively absorbing everything the SNP feeds you. By all means, continue to support the same viewpoint afterwards but FFS try showing some gumption for once.

No, they think that's what will be enough to stop you spreading the virus if you haven't got it. [emoji38]

I don't normally share personal details on here but I'm going to make an exception here because this sort of nonsense is because of covid panicking and it has to stop.
Just off the phone with someone from my health centre and it went something like this:
"Mr XXX it's YYY medical practice. Please confirm your DOB"
"...."
"OK Mr XXX, you have an appointment to see Dr Z tomorrow.  at 10am, Unfortunately it's going to be a telephone appointment".
"It can't be. It needs to be face to face".
"I'm sorry Mr XXX I know you WANT a face to face but we all need to do our bit in these times".
"It's a prostate exam".
"(3 second pause) Hold the line please....(30 second delay).....OK well the only thing I can do is assign you to a female GP. Are you OK with that".
"Unless she has hooves instead of hands,  I'm fine with that."
There are two questions here. Firstly, why are we allowing GPs to cancel appointments without them having the courtesy of actually reading the patients notes first? And secondly, what is the big deal about gender for these types of tests? She's a perfectly good and highly experienced GP.
Anyway, that made me laugh this morning so I thought I'd share. [emoji38]

1st, As per your statement I'd hazard a guess that it wasn't a GP that was cancelling your appointment.

2nd, because some folk are against members of the opposite sex examing them that personally.

PS. Been there twice regarding prostate area, first time the doctor was gentle, second time I believe he was more thorough or had grown hooves. [emoji3061]

PPS, a face to face prostate examination. That no doubt gave a few of us a laugh. [emoji28]

3 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

1st, As per your statement I'd hazard a guess that it wasn't a GP that was cancelling your appointment.

2nd, because some folk are against members of the opposite sex examing them that personally.

PS. Been there twice regarding prostate area, first time the doctor was gentle, second time I believe he was more thorough or had grown hooves. emoji3061.png

PPS, a face to face prostate examination. That no doubt gave a few of us a laugh. emoji28.png

Oakster is one of the few people that this would be entirely possible 🤣