Coronavirus

faraway saint

Why COVID deaths will never reach zero, why hospitalisations and deaths will appear to rise and why you’d better arrange your family xmas dinner for November.

If you think the lunacy is bad now, wait until you see what craziness lies ahead this winter.

https://logicinthetimeofcovid.com/2020/09/07/waiting-for-zero/

So you're wrong about Trump as well then. [emoji38]
I posed a question so cant see how I could be "wrong ". It's frankly irrelevant who comes up with policy ultimately the PM has decided to go with it. The Moonshot is right out there as one of the most ambitious/mental/unlikely yet. It's tilting at windmills stuff and the fact they are running with it makes you seriously wonder just how far away a vaccine must be in reality.

30 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

Oh dear.  Nicola Sturgeon doubles down on Boris Johnson’s lunacy.

Sweden has had far fewer deaths than Scotland. Why don’t we follow their lead rather than the lunatics down south?

Why does Sturgeon want to be more English than the English?

Actually more sensible than BJs as it only includes two households - it also allows her to go her customary 1% further than BJ! :clapping

Nice to see you sticking to your ghoulish delight in the number of care home deaths in the spring last night and today with your misguided comparisons with Sweden, a country which was in a position to take the actions it did because of it's preparations prior to the pandemic.  

Edited by Bud the Baker

Sigh! Here we go again.

We increase testing and find more cases with false positives everywhere.

Sturgeon ignores all of this and announces a limit of 6 people gathering indoors OR OUTDOORS including pubs and restaurants. New law on Monday.

Bar staff have to wear masks but customers don't. Sporting events are exempt presumably because sports fans have some super-dooper resistance to either catching or spreading this thing.

No logic. No consistency. No end game. No plan. No strategy. Just panic, panic and more panic.

The utter farce continues.

She should just do what she really wants to do and announce a full f**king lockdown again. After all, nobody is allowed to die in this bizarre world of hers.

Edited by oaksoft

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Nice to see you sticking to your ghoulish delight in the number of care home deaths in the spring last night and today with your misguided comparisons with Sweden, a country which was in a position to take the actions it did because of it's preparations prior to the pandemic.  

Ah, of course, highlighting care home deaths and who is responsible is “ghoulish”.

Lockdown supporters would rather the care home deaths were just swept under the carpet and will attack anyone who brings it up.

I guess that’s what guilt does to you.

What preparations did Sweden take prior to the pandemic? 

51 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Sigh! Here we go again.

Sturgeon ignores all of this and announces a limit of 6 people gathering indoors OR OUTDOORS including pubs and restaurants. New law on Monday.

Bar staff have to wear masks but customers don't. Sporting events are exempt presumably because sports fans have some super-dooper resistance to either catching or spreading this thing.

No logic. No consistency. No end game. No plan. No strategy. Just panic, panic and more panic.

She should just do what she really wants to do and announce a full f**king lockdown again. After all, nobody is allowed to die in this bizarre world of hers.

As the new rules start on Monday presumably COVID is taking the weekend off? 

1 minute ago, Sue Denim said:

Ah, of course, highlighting care home deaths and who is responsible is “ghoulish”.

Lockdown supporters would rather the care home deaths were just swept under the carpet and will attack anyone who brings it up.

I guess that’s what guilt does to you.

What preparations did Sweden take prior to the pandemic? 

Banging on about it the in the gleeful manner you do is certainly ghoulish - I'm totally guilt free and just delighted not to be you.

Sweden was ranked as the country seventh most ready to cope with a pandemic due to investment in it's health service and preparations made for a pandemic - preparations that were carried out as planned and certainly not the free for all you and your ilk imply.

In amongst all this panic, I should point out that locking down is all very easy for Sturgeon. She doesn't have to worry about how to pay for benefits or how a self employed business puts food on the table. That is a Westminster problem to clean up.

If we were seeing people die in droves and our hospitals struggling I would completely understand and accept this new announcement but in the face of almost nobody being sick from this and virtually zero deaths, this is an act of social and financial vandalism for no obvious reason other than pure panic. There can be no other reason. No lives are being saved by this action.

I'm genuinely in two minds about whether our business should just ignore this nonsense.

17 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

In amongst all this panic, I should point out that locking down is all very easy for Sturgeon. She doesn't have to worry about how to pay for benefits or how a self employed business puts food on the table. That is a Westminster problem to clean up.

If we were seeing people die in droves and our hospitals struggling I would completely understand and accept this new announcement but in the face of almost nobody being sick from this and virtually zero deaths, this is an act of social and financial vandalism for no obvious reason other than pure panic. There can be no other reason. No lives are being saved by this action.

I'm genuinely in two minds about whether our business should just ignore this nonsense.

Very short memory.

Look at how quickly cases jumped up in March/ April time when we were living normal lives the weeks building up to the lock down. The early signs are there again that things are jumping back up (all be it from a lower base given the work done). This time we can act from a point of experience and try and curb quickly, in hindsight something we would definitely have done in the late winter had we known what we know now. 

Not taking this action now would likely result in all the things you mention going up before long. 

Edited by bazil85

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Sigh! Here we go again.

You just knew this was coming after BJ's announcement the other day. Yesterday she was raging she hadn't done this first, so of course goes slightly further.

2 hours ago, Hendo said:

You just knew this was coming after BJ's announcement the other day. Yesterday she was raging she hadn't done this first, so of course goes slightly further.

I was absolutely f**king livid earlier but I've calmed down now.

The people supporting Sturgeon on this have the luxury of a permanent job and a nice cushy salary coming in so of course this doesn't affect any of them. They can be as smug and self righteous as they like. I genuinely think that when furlough runs out and many of those smug bastards are sitting facing unemployment despite almost no deaths or hospital cases that they'll soon change their tune.

Listening to Sturgeon talking about how we all need to do our bit while she shuts down businesses from the comfort of a £150k salary job is very hard to take.

We are lucky to have plenty of savings so will ride this out, however long it takes, but so many are on the brink of financial disaster for absolutely no good reason whatsoever. It seems she just doesn't understand this at all.

Edited by oaksoft

Hey @bazil85, all cause mortality in Sweden this year now at the same level as 2015. At currently trend, all cause mortality in Sweden this year could well end up the second lowest in the past 6 years.

This despite COVID and despite no lockdown.

Meanwhile, Scotland tops the table for the highest all cause mortality in 2020 in Western Europe. 

60728106-692F-422F-B057-E52764FF2A53.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

Jason Leitch admits that the test “is a bit rubbish”.

If Leitch knows this then so does Sturgeon and so does Johnson.

Yet this is what is driving current lockdown policy.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18711279.scotlands-health-chiefs-astonishing-admission-coronavirus-tests-bit-rubbish/

“So the test we have just now is a bit rubbish, and the science is trying to improve that test all the time.”

He added: “That's why you hear us talk about testing a lot. It's very important, but it's not the only important thing.”

Are you suggesting that no testing should be done? We have to work with the tools we have.

Guest TPAFKATS

Apparently this is the calm oaksoft [emoji116]

I was absolutely f**king livid earlier but I've calmed down now.
The people supporting Sturgeon on this have the luxury of a permanent job and a nice cushy salary coming in so of course this doesn't affect any of them. They can be as smug and self righteous as they like. I genuinely think that when furlough runs out and many of those smug bastards are sitting facing unemployment despite almost no deaths or hospital cases that they'll soon change their tune.
Listening to Sturgeon talking about how we all need to do our bit while she shuts down businesses from the comfort of a £150k salary job is very hard to take.
We are lucky to have plenty of savings so will ride this out, however long it takes, but so many are on the brink of financial disaster for absolutely no good reason whatsoever. It seems she just doesn't understand this at all.
Can you inform me of what businesses the first minister shut down yesterday, as I didn't see that on the media reports.

Guest TPAFKATS
My self employed business was shut down on Wednesday and I can't open till this Monday coming. so zero income in that period.
I was told over the phone that via track and trace that I was within 2 metres of somebody that was positive on 31st August. 
So I've been shut down because of a grassing cnut. I am fit and healthy.
So isolation for 5 days. It would haven 14 days but it's been backdated from 31st August.
Scandalous
You do realise you could be asymptomatic?

1 hour ago, Sue Denim said:

Jason Leitch admits that the test “is a bit rubbish”.

If Leitch knows this then so does Sturgeon and so does Johnson.

Yet this is what is driving current lockdown policy.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18711279.scotlands-health-chiefs-astonishing-admission-coronavirus-tests-bit-rubbish/

Jason Leitch on Radio Scotland 2 minutes ago said that he was misquoted. What he actually said was that our present virus tests are not adequate for Boris's  "moonshot" testing plan.

You really should get your facts straight before posting.

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

Apparently this is the calm oaksoft emoji116.png

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:
15 hours ago, Hendo said:

Oh grow up, ffs

I would have some respect for your opinion if you were personally affected by all this.

Instead, you're just another smug bastard comfortably sitting with a wage packet coming in each month without a care in the world.

The difference between us is that if you come back here in a few weeks and tell us you've been made redundant due to covid and you can't even get a job packing shelves because for every vacancy 3000 people are applying, and that you haven't got enough money to get through until your universal credit kicks in, I won't sit here taking visible pleasure in your difficulties. Unlike you are doing right now. You are a plastic leftie.

Edited by oaksoft

1 hour ago, smcc said:

Jason Leitch on Radio Scotland 2 minutes ago said that he was misquoted. What he actually said was that our present virus tests are not adequate for Boris's  "moonshot" testing plan.

You really should get your facts straight before posting.

Deary me. He wasn’t misquoted at all.

I’ve watched it. He says “the test just now is a bit rubbish”.

Whether that be for Boris’ moonbeam scheme or whether it be for lockdown policy makes no difference. It’s “a bit rubbish” for exactly the reason I’ve been highlighting for weeks - where the prevalence is as low as it is just now, the sensitivity of the test means that most positives are false positives. 

That same “rubbish” test and it’s false positives is currently driving lockdown policy.

If it’s rubbish for moonshine testing then it’s rubbish for lockdown policy. 

You really should know what you are talking about before replying to my posts. 

Edited by Sue Denim