Coronavirus

faraway saint

4 hours ago, Long John Baldy said:

It would have been more effective if you'd added you've fully replenished your store of 5,000 toilet rolls. 

Are the panic buyers out again? I know Germany are thinking about limiting sales of sausage and cheese but admit it would be the wurst kase scenario.

Al get ma coat. 

Germany, they don't get mentioned too much as some people don't like Sweden getting "lauded" too much, have not seen deaths over 20 a day since mid JUne.
Cases have risen over the last 2 months but no increase in the death rate.
Certainly not the "usual" rise that some see as the normal.
I'm not trying to have a go here, I'm genuinely interested why other countries seem to cope without the reaction that we are seeing.
Wee Nicky telling people NOT to book a holiday in October seems way over the top and another massive over reaction. 
They might not have as many assholes doing what they like rather than complying for a short time for the benefit of everyone.

15 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:
1 hour ago, Long John Baldy said:
Germany, they don't get mentioned too much as some people don't like Sweden getting "lauded" too much, have not seen deaths over 20 a day since mid JUne.
I'm not trying to have a go here, I'm genuinely interested why other countries seem to cope without the reaction that we are seeing.
Wee Nicky telling people NOT to book a holiday in October seems way over the top and another massive over reaction. 

They might not have as many assholes doing what they like rather than complying for a short time for the benefit of everyone.

Interesting point, I remember researching information on alcohol abuse some years ago. The interesting point from that was that the U.K. consumption rates of alcohol and health related issues (liver disease) were similar to Germany,France, Italy, Spain. However the antisocial costs (A&E visits, crime) were considerably higher in the U.K.   

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Not long ago, people were wetting their knickers over a "second spike" in Germany but just like the UK, that resulted in no corresponding increase in deaths or hospitalisations.

Far too early to know if we'll see a significant increase in deaths in the UK. Germany's "second spike" was also nothing like what we are seeing in the UK right now. Spain and France are possibly the two best comparables' and again the increase in death rate is still too early to know the full picture. 

Here's what we do know with those three countries.

France - Last week saw the biggest single day death recording since May and new cases continues to rise at an alarming rate.

Spain - exact same

UK - Yesterday the biggest death recording since the second week in August. Cases also rising at an alarming rate. 

As with February/ March, we again have people jumping the gun and underplaying the severity of this virus. 

5 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:
6 hours ago, Long John Baldy said:

Yep, all these people visiting their brother when they know households shouldn't be mixing ...

Why is wee Nicky tellng people not to go on holiday?

Who the feck is she to tell people not to do something that's not illegal?

Maybe she's planning a major lockdown soon? 

There's rumours bouncing about up here that October could see a short lockdown to coincide with school holidays. 🙄

She's the boss do as your telt 

Why........oh I know, THEY suit your agenda. 

Forget Germany, Sweden, New Zealand, just crawl back into your cave for a hundred years. 

Lives saved, it's all good. 

It's not an agenda, it's a warning we need to be aware of.

Yes there are countries that are handling this better (currently) than the UK and some of those countries are reasonable comparisons to the UK (like Germany)

But there are also stark warnings out there like France and Spain. Both countries have seen spikes similar to the UK. and they are showing signs that deaths are rising. Sweden, New Zealand and Germany are not, it doesn't mean we just ignore what's going on in our own country, that would be ridiculous.

You might not care and value the economy more than human life, that's fine. I don't

2 hours ago, Long John Baldy said:

Without being heartless I care little about the USA, what's the figures for the UK? 

Asking for Bazil as he's quite prepared to close the country down for .06% death rate. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they're similar. 

To put that a different way, 1 in 20 people over the age of 70 dying who catch it. Completely unreasonable not to take strong measures to prevent this.

People over economy. 

26 minutes ago, Long John Baldy said:

You're hilarious, let's try this, people between 0 and 69 rarely die. (Can't be arsed working it out)

Proportionally the measures don't match the fatalities.

Tell me, would you keep measures in place to save one life? 

In your opinion but you value being able to meet your mates and go to football games more than protecting vulnerable people in society.

That's your view and you're entitled to it. I think it's shameful and there is a moral responsibility that falls on the people governing our country to not just say "1 in 20 people over 70? Aye that's well within appetite"

2 hours ago, Hendo said:

Now, I'm on the side of the debate where I think the restrictions are an over reaction to the current threat.

However, believing Trumpian figures, even if they do support your argument, is just going too far.

I think those numbers are actually reasonable. And there's a link to the CDC site in the tweet.

2 hours ago, theknickerwetter said:

Interesting viewpoint . the figures come from the cdc , not Donald J Trump . However , however in what is left of this once free country , l think you are still allowed to believe the narrative(propaganda) pushed by the lame stream media(paid by Gat*s)

Criiiinge!

11 hours ago, bazil85 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they're similar. 

To put that a different way, 1 in 20 people over the age of 70 dying who catch it. Completely unreasonable not to take strong measures to prevent this.

People over economy. 

When you have a gov telling you it's alright to go to Blackpool but not other areas of the same County

You know it's a pile of shite

Any news of China who started this?

34 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

When you have a gov telling you it's alright to go to Blackpool but not other areas of the same County

Back to normal it would seem, but they did that by seriously restricting foreign travel. I wonder why we didn't do that, at least then it would be just one industry on their knees, and it would also make Richard Branson cry.

12 hours ago, Long John Baldy said:

Where have I said this or do this?

I see you SWEREVED the "save a life" bit, wonder why? 

You have no shame, wishing people have severe mental health issues, suicide numbers increase month on month and you are swallowing anything the government say.

Come to think of it, you do the same with our chairman and the club.

You really don't have a backbone at all. 

It's a bit of a loaded question, no one is denying that economic downturn can also (wrongly but it's situation we are in) have an impact on people's lives so there absolutely has to be some consideration. However for me human life needs to be the absolute priority, regardless of Covid19 or economic impacts. The approach must put that at front and centre. 

I would say your view is very well implied given your lackadaisical view of this pandemic. 

I wish no such thing, as I have said above, human life needs to be front and centre. That includes mental health. There isn't any one size fits all solution here, no one is claiming that. But we know the previous restrictions were causing the virus to spike again, action had to be taken. Part of that action should be to support people with mental health problems without dooming (potentially) large numbers of the population to death. 

Our chairman has overseen a period of growth at the club while keeping us in the black year on year. St Moan fans still finding excuses to whinge is inevitable. Defending our chairman and our clubs direction isn't a bad thing, no matter what you think. 

2 hours ago, windae cleaner said:

My view is Scotland is handling this better than England, their more reserved approach is far more in line with my world view. I don't deny some of the calls in England have been questionable, same goes up here. 

Who knows, they seem to have came out of this pretty rosy. Lightyears ahead of us in ability for technological and closed management solutions. Covid19 shined a light on their efficiency as a country IMO. They are/ soon will be the new number one global force I think.