Coronavirus

faraway saint

11 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

And how much has that first bit in bold cost you personally?

you're splitting hairs.  You asserted that nobody Was making money from you, but govt officials engaging in graft is but one example, also company owners making profits in the UK then refusing to pay back their dues for all the benefits that ANY company accrues from operating in a civilised society and selling to that society.

Did Branson get his handout?
Not THAT silly big one, but yes, Branson and his companies have had handouts.

Our biggest companies are multi-nationals. How are you going to enforce a CEO wage cap? You'll simply encourage more companies to setup head offices in other countries to avoid your new law.

A wage cap would be less remunerative than simply taxing the companies, ensuring they pay tax.  UK has gone down an appalling route by allowing people to set themselves up as companies so they don’t pay tax at all.

There are no restrictions on how high any other worker gets paid. Why obsess over the single person at the top?

i agree, but there should be definite restrictions in the avoidance of paying tax.

Don't know what you mean by Keynesian but paying the covid bill "pver a period of thyme" sounds like "sage" advice. Oh yes.

oh yes!  :)

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

At my expense - government cronies getting lucrative contracts for which they seem to have no relevant experience, our ex-richest citizen fucking off to the tax haven of Monaco, ex-Brexit supporter James Dyson moving his company headquarters to the tax haven of Singapore. I will say it yet again these are people who have benefited from the UK but who are now looking to minimize what they give back. Throw in Richard Branson who after being a tax exile for 14 years was suddenly looking for a handout this year - these are people who typically state it's not about money until it is.

I'll go back to a pre-WW2 proposal over executive pay - that the pay for CEOs should be restricted to a factor of 10 times the companies lowest paid employees.

As for repaying the Covid bill over a period of thyme, we're all Keynsians now.

Imagine Britain took the Oaksters approach during WW2. "Let's just get all the German bombs dropped on us as quick as possible, sooner we're all dead, sooner we can pay back the money spent." 😅

1 hour ago, antrin said:

you're splitting hairs.  You asserted that nobody Was making money from you, but govt officials engaging in graft is but one example, also company owners making profits in the UK then refusing to pay back their dues for all the benefits that ANY company accrues from operating in a civilised society and selling to that society.

Not THAT silly big one, but yes, Branson and his companies have had handouts.

Our biggest companies are multi-nationals. How are you going to enforce a CEO wage cap? You'll simply encourage more companies to setup head offices in other countries to avoid your new law.

A wage cap would be less remunerative than simply taxing the companies, ensuring they pay tax.  UK has gone down an appalling route by allowing people to set themselves up as companies so they don’t pay tax at all.

There are no restrictions on how high any other worker gets paid. Why obsess over the single person at the top?

i agree, but there should be definite restrictions in the avoidance of paying tax.

Don't know what you mean by Keynesian but paying the covid bill "pver a period of thyme" sounds like "sage" advice. Oh yes.

oh yes!  :)

Splitting hairs is when you count things which cost you personally a few pence as an "expense".

"Simply taxing" the companies won't work IMO. It just isn't going to happen to the degree that you want. If companies can move, they'll do so. If companies can offset losses in one part of a multi-national with profits from another then they'll do so. Don't get me wrong here. I'm actually on your side with this. I just can't see how it can work without it resulting in the loss of large numbers of jobs.

You'll need to explain to me how people can setup a company so that they pay no tax at all. What mechanism allows that? You've got me stumped here.

Restricting the avoidance of tax is another thing I agree with you on in principle but again I don't see how it can be done effectively without these people simply moving to a lower tax regime and taking jobs with them.

Edited by oaksoft

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Don't know what you mean by Keynesian but paying the covid bill "over a period of thyme" sounds like "sage" advice. Oh yes.

How much it has cost me personally is the wrong question - the real question is about fairness in a world of finite resources.

I'd already said Richard Branson avoided paying UK taxes for 14 years while syphoning off money for running Virgin rail so badly he lost the franchise! Meanwhile he was looking to get his finger into the NHS pie - his career of starting up businesses taking state aid & then walking away when the going gets tough mark him out as one of the unacceptable faces of capitalism.

I said that the pre-WW2 maximum wage plan was focussed on the CEO but let's apply it to everyone within a company

• National Living Wage @ £8.72/hour x 10 I'll be generous and say a hard working employee might do 48hrs a week x 52 weeks = £217.652.20pa
  • If a company paid it's lowest paid employees the National Minimum Wage @ £8.20 per hour it would come to £204,672pa

That would apply to everyone from bakers to CEOs to EPL footballers.

A lot of Labour's economic policies were supported by the majority in 2017 & 2019.....

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/11/12/labour-economic-policies-are-popular-so-why-arent-

The most popular involve increasing tax on the highest earners. Close to two thirds (64%) would support raising the tax rate on earnings over £123,000 a year from 45% to 50%. Likewise, six in ten support increasing the tax rate on earnings over £80,000 a year from 40% to 45%.

....the problem was that Jeremy Corbyn was not trusted due to his back-history on issues like Israel/Palestine & NI, perceived anti-Semitism within the party & his unfathomable position on Brexit.

Post Covid we'll face the option of going back to the old ways or my preference a new Green/Red alliance - my fear is that a Starmer led Labour Party will be closer to the former.

The most thymely and sage advice on the forum must surely come from Bazil...

Edited by Bud the Baker

40 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I'd already said Richard Branson avoided paying UK taxes for 14 years while syphoning off money for running Virgin rail so badly he lost the franchise! Meanwhile he was looking to get his finger into the NHS pie - his career of starting up businesses taking state aid & then walking away when the going gets tough mark him out as one of the unacceptable faces of capitalism.

I said that the pre-WW2 maximum wage plan was focussed on the CEO but let's apply it to everyone within a company

• National Living Wage @ £8.72/hour x 10 I'll be generous and say a hard working employee might do 48hrs a week x 52 weeks = £217.652.20pa
  • If a company paid it's lowest paid employees the National Minimum Wage @ £8.20 per hour it would come to £204,672pa

That would apply to everyone from bakers to CEOs to EPL footballers.

A lot of Labour's economic policies were supported by the majority in 2017 & 2019.....

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/11/12/labour-economic-policies-are-popular-so-why-arent-

....the problem was that Jeremy Corbyn was not trusted due to his back-history on issues like Israel/Palestine & NI, perceived anti-Semitism within the party & his unfathomable position on Brexit.

Post Covid we'll face the option of going back to the old ways or my preference a new Green/Red alliance - my fear is that a Starmer led Labour Party will be closer to the former.

Where do you expect to find a good CEO for £200k per annum?

While I have considerable sympathy for the hospitality trade I am getting more and more fecked off at he profiteering.

My wife was out for lunch today in Dundee with my daughter, all of a sudden the lunch menu was not available, only the A La carte menu. :blink:

Also £2.99 for a small bottle of sparkling water would have got a "I'll not bother" response from me.

No tip was left, and they won't be back.

Robbing b'strds. 

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

Where do you expect to find a good CEO for £200k per annum?

Well CEO pay and company performance is a contentious issue (go check) and like I said it's never about the money till it's about the money, throw in the fact that many clearly unsuccessful CEOs walk away with substantial golden showers handshakes and frankly I'm not that concerned - some greedy bugger'l do it.

22 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

While I have considerable sympathy for the hospitality trade I am getting more and more fecked off at he profiteering.

My wife was out for lunch today in Dundee with my daughter, all of a sudden the lunch menu was not available, only the A La carte menu. :blink:

Also £2.99 for a small bottle of sparkling water would have got a "I'll not bother" response from me.

Robbing b'strds. 

Hardly the staffs fault the owner is trying to rip people off surely? Miserable. 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Robbing b'strds. 

Just been charged £12.95 for 3 lemonades and 3 bags of crisps. If that's 'hospitality' then f*ck 'em. Let them go under ...

I've just found a free keg of Guinness [emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481]

Thank you whoever left it for me. [emoji16]

20201013_194736.jpeg

20201013_194750.jpeg