Coronavirus

faraway saint

8 minutes ago, FTOF said:

In which country/countries did this happen?

Where did they get their figures from?

Back in 2018 these were the numbers, wouldn't be hard to take that up to the numbers in the post above? 

Supplied by the Samaritans. 

Suicide is a significant national social issue in the United Kingdom. In 2018 there were 6,507 registered deaths by suicide in the United Kingdom, equating to an average of 18 suicides per day in the country. Suicide is the single biggest killer of men under the age of 45 in the country.

Edited by faraway saint

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Image may contain: text that says "11 people died from covid yesterday & 150 since since last week from suicide. Peoples mental health is literally being shot from lockdowns money problems relationships breaking down- Loneliness + every other illness being ignored so I can't deal with 'let's have another lockdown'"

A June preprint1 from a Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) team in Cambridge analysing COVID-19 testing data from 84 countries suggests that global infections were 12 times higher and deaths 50% higher than officially reported (see ‘Predicting cases and deaths’). “There are many more cases out there than the data indicate. As a consequence, there’s higher risk of infection than people may believe there to be,” says John Sterman, co-author of the study and director of the MIT System Dynamics Group.

That 11 would be 16, 7 days x 16 = 112. So that’s 112 extra preventable deaths, similarly 150 suicide deaths are also preventable. Prevention is the key factor. 

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Back in 2018 these were the numbers, wouldn't be hard to take that up to the numbers in the post above

Suicide is a significant national social issue in the United Kingdom. In 2018 there were 6,507 registered deaths by suicide in the United Kingdom, equating to an average of 18 suicides per day in the country. Suicide is the single biggest killer of men under the age of 45 in the country.

That's not what I asked.

8 minutes ago, FTOF said:

That's not what I asked.

You asked In which country/countries did this happen? :blink:

I also added the Samaritans provided these numbers. 

Why are you so upset, don't you like what it's saying? 

Here...................https://www.samaritans.org/scotland/about-samaritans/research-policy/suicide-facts-and-figures/

Would you like me to try to find out names? <_<

Edited by faraway saint

16 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

You asked In which country/countries did this happen? :blink:

I also added the Samaritans provided these numbers. 

Why are you so upset, don't you like what it's saying? 

You posted a copy and paste of some stats from the UK. Is that what the random quote, presumably from the Samaritans, is referring to?

What is the article saying?

That suicide numbers are higher than covid deaths?

So what? We know that suicide numbers in the UK are too high for any given year.

It's hardly a surprise given that average weekly death rate from suicide in the UK was 2018 was 125. So 150 is not particularly unusual weekly figure, on the face of it.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/suicidesintheunitedkingdom/2018registrations

The trend for suicides has been rising since 2016 also.

If, from that one quote you are trying to suggest that suicides have risen, due to Lockdown, then that evidence alone proves nothing.

Edited by FTOF

6 minutes ago, FTOF said:

You posted a copy and paste of some stats from the UK. Is that what the random quote, presumably from the Samaritans, is referring to?

So what? We know that suicide numbers in the UK are too high for any given year.

It's hardly a surprise given that average weekly death rate from suicide in the UK was 2019 was 125. So 150 is not particularly unusual weekly figure, on the face of it.

If, from that one quote you are trying to suggest that suicides have risen, due to Lockdown, then that evidence alone proves nothing.

So, you don't think the current pandemic has, or will, lead to a rise in mental health issues and an increase in suicides?

Do you need an "expert" or "scientist" to help you come to a decision as I could trawl the internet but I'm busy. :byebye

Highest recorded deaths yesterday since June, almost 100% higher than same day previous week. Yes we are in a horrible situation and there is no fix all solution where nobody dies but for people to still be suggesting we just lift all/ many of the restrictions. Seriously baffling. 

10 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

So, you don't think the current pandemic has, or will, lead to a rise in mental health issues and an increase in suicides?

Do you need an "expert" or "scientist" to help you come to a decision as I could trawl the internet but I'm busy. :byebye

I'd expect mental health issues will be on the rise, given the amount of press coverage it has been given. Does that lead directly to suicide numbers increasing?   

It might do, but only time will tell.

A random quote with a non sourced figure adds nothing to any discussion on such an important matter, that causes so many unnecessary deaths.

Edited by FTOF

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I'd expect mental health issues will be on the rise, given the amount of press coverage it has been given. Does that lead directly to suicide numbers increasing?   

It might do, but only time will tell.

A random quote with a non sourced figure adds nothing to any discussion on such an important matter, that causes so many unnecessary deaths.

That's ok then. <_<

2 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Highest recorded deaths yesterday since June, almost 100% higher than same day previous week. Yes we are in a horrible situation and there is no fix all solution where nobody dies but for people to still be suggesting we just lift all/ many of the restrictions. Seriously baffling. 

Sadly ,once again ,a lot of these deaths are in care homes.

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

That's ok then. <_<

No it's not O.K.

As Yflab has pointed out the circumstances surrounding this entire situation may well lead to an increase suicides, due to financial difficulties.  Past financial crises have shown that this is likely to occur. Irresponsible quotes with unsubstantiated numbers don't help the situation. That's Daily Mail territory.

It just creates a wave of unreliable information, which is of no use to anyone.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-06/charity-warns-of-mental-illness-timebomb-as-calls-increase-by-200

There's also a school of though that, actually suffering from the effects and/or the after effects, of Covid, could also manifest suicidal thoughts, as could the loss of relatives due to Covid.

https://medium.com/@gidmk/is-covid-19-causing-suicides-f6c6760afdeb

Like everything to do with this sorry mess, there's no ideal solution to specific situations that arise.

The one thing that I've learned for myself throughout all this, is that for me listening to/reading about different points of view on specific situations and trying to adopt a moderate view, is much more healthy than continually whining and howling at the moon about a situation that affects me adversely.

Anyway, I'm away to pick the skelfs out of my arse.

36 minutes ago, FTOF said:

No it's not O.K.

As Yflab has pointed out the circumstances surrounding this entire situation may well lead to an increase suicides, due to financial difficulties.  Past financial crises have shown that this is likely to occur. Irresponsible quotes with unsubstantiated numbers don't help the situation. That's Daily Mail territory.

It just creates a wave of unreliable information, which is of no use to anyone.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-06/charity-warns-of-mental-illness-timebomb-as-calls-increase-by-200

There's also a school of though that, actually suffering from the effects and/or the after effects, of Covid, could also manifest suicidal thoughts, as could the loss of relatives due to Covid.

https://medium.com/@gidmk/is-covid-19-causing-suicides-f6c6760afdeb

Like everything to do with this sorry mess, there's no ideal solution to specific situations that arise.

The one thing that I've learned for myself throughout all this, is that for me listening to/reading about different points of view on specific situations and trying to adopt a moderate view, is much more healthy than continually whining and howling at the moon about a situation that affects me adversely.

Anyway, I'm away to pick the skelfs out of my arse.

You'll be gone for quite some time then. 😉

On 10/17/2020 at 4:33 PM, bazil85 said:

- Excessive death stats over the course of the pandemic. 

Regarding specifically road accidents (which is obviously tongue in cheek like I mentioned) 

- Previously released road accident statistics

- The fact correlation of covid19 deaths and road accidents in 2020 isn't national news 

But my original point wasn't JUST about road accidents. I simply used that as an extreme, though justifiable, example.  I repeat. People who died of ANYTHING who had been tested positive within the last TWENTY EIGHT days have been counted as dying OF covid. I hope this simplified explanation helps.

15 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

But my original point wasn't JUST about road accidents. I simply used that as an extreme, though justifiable, example.  I repeat. People who died of ANYTHING who had been tested positive within the last TWENTY EIGHT days have been counted as dying OF covid. I hope this simplified explanation helps.

Nothing you’ve said above is new or wasn’t covered in my previous posts. Excessive deaths throughout 2020 categorically point to Covid19 Death stats not just being coincidental. 

Edited by bazil85

It's hardly a surprise given that average weekly death rate from suicide in the UK was 2018 was 125. So 150 is not particularly unusual weekly figure, on the face of it.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/suicidesintheunitedkingdom/2018registrations

There does seem to be a rise in suicides over the past few months, from what I’ve just read that’s three in the past week on the Glasgow to Paisley stretch of the railway line. I’d be surprised if these weren’t related to the impact of Covid.