Coronavirus

faraway saint

49 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

The only people making money out this Covid crisis is the myriad of conspiracy theorists who are selling the gullible books 💰💰💰

John Ashton is a former director of public health - he is worth listening to on this and is absolutely not a conspiracy theorist.

5 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

In Scotland while a claimant on benefits may receive Council Tax Reduction, they will still pay the full amount for water and sewerage charges. 

In Renfrewshire this is approx £300 p.a.

Seems odd that they would charge for this but at least it's only £25 per month.

5 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

By not paying the council tax that can result in imprisonment.

Then let's cut back on gas/electricity. Yeah let's freeze to death or let wet rot take hold, cannie beat a bit of fungus growing for damaging the health of children.

They could just throw another coat over the bed to keep warm. Not that anyone ever had to do that because they didn't have a duvet.emoji2958.png

Remind me this is 2020 and not 1820 emoji848.png

What on earth are you wittering on about. I am not suggesting anyone should live like that.

They will pay no council tax - just £25 a month for water rates - and you can heat and light a detached house for under £80 a month.

That leaves plenty of money left over for food which is the question I was asking. These people are claiming they can't feed themselves. Rent and bills doesn't explain it because there should still be enough for food. Clearly there's something else going on and that's what I'm trying to get to the bottom of.

Edited by oaksoft

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Looking like we, in Angus, will escape getting a higher grade that seems to be heading for Dundee. :thumbs2

I like to think that by following the rules, despite not agreeing with them, I am helping:rolleyes:

How exactly?

You've spent months complaining that the restrictions are unnecessary and don't work anyway.

So exactly how is it helping to be following them anyway?

You know what? Forget it. Your answer will be ill-thought out as usual and I've my fill of dealing with idiots for today.

By not paying the council tax that can result in imprisonment.

Then let's cut back on gas/electricity. Yeah let's freeze to death or let wet rot take hold, cannie beat a bit of fungus growing for damaging the health of children.

They could just throw another coat over the bed to keep warm. Not that anyone ever had to do that because they didn't have a duvet.[emoji2958]

Remind me this is 2020 and not 1820 [emoji848]
You cannot be jailed for non payment of Council Tax in Scotland !

4 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

If you check the back of your assessment you'll see the charges broken down.

Everyone pays for water and sewerage, some don't realise it.

That's not what I meant.

I was surprised that those exempt from paying council tax would not also be exempt from paying the water charges.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That's not what I meant.

I was surprised that those exempt from paying council tax would not also be exempt from paying the water charges.

Ah, I see. I guess that LAs have the power to reduce CT but don't have the power to alter the water and sewerage charges.

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

7 months in and you still don't seem to realize stattos don't work at weekends.

A further 367 deaths today sadly.

It was 100,000 that I once suggested might be the end result after the end of the year.

There's no evidence to suggest we are getting anywhere near that amount.

The numbers of daily deaths and hospitalisations is still tiny.

Scottish Wzter set the Water and Sewerage charges and they are indeed collected ali g with C/Tax. They are Scotland wide so a person in Renfrewshire pays the same as a person in Orkney or Edinburgh based on the C/Tax band of their house. The band D charges this year are about £450 the 25pm will be band A so not that representative.

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It was 100,000 that I once suggested might be the end result after the end of the year.

It was a spelling mistake, I meant to say 100k - my bad.

I deleted it cos thought it was in bad taste, but too late as it had already been quoted by faraway however as you brought it up the government coughed up to just over 61,000 deaths earlier today plus if the current rate of deaths (367 today) lagging 3/4 weeks behind cases recorded it'll be closer than you're currently predicting.

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
33 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Scottish Wzter set the Water and Sewerage charges and they are indeed collected ali g with C/Tax. They are Scotland wide so a person in Renfrewshire pays the same as a person in Orkney or Edinburgh based on the C/Tax band of their house. The band D charges this year are about £450 the 25pm will be band A so not that representative.

Your auto-correct is having a bit of fun but I think I get the point you are making.

£450 is still only £37.50 per month so it's not a massive monthly bill and won't explain why these people can't afford food. I suspect most unemployed people are probably not living in band D houses so it should be lower than that it most cases.

14 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

How exactly?

You've spent months complaining that the restrictions are unnecessary and don't work anyway.

So exactly how is it helping to be following them anyway?

You know what? Forget it. Your answer will be ill-thought out as usual and I've my fill of dealing with idiots for today.

You seem to be having another episode.

Don't you understand you can disagree but still play the game?

Where did I say they don't work.......................you're making stuff up. :lol:

Have you had another bad day? 

You know what, you deserve all that comes your way. :byebye

7 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I deleted it cos thought it was in bad taste, but too late as it had already been quoted by faraway however as you brought it up the government coughed up to just over 61,000 deaths earlier today plus if the current rate of deaths (367 today) lagging 3/4 weeks behind cases recorded it'll be closer than you're currently predicting.

It's going to give me no pleasure if I end up being right about the 100k but I don't think it will get to that number.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm still of the opinion that mask-wearing has demonstrably not worked (80-90% compliance and cases are still rising exponentially), true social distancing is not possible and that all we have done is f**k our economy with all these restrictions. The virus will spread regardless of what we do and IMO that's because it's clinging to and surviving on a range of surfaces. Any extra deaths over and above other countries is IMO down to our appalling diet, our shockingly poor overall health and our lack of preparation for a pandemic. There's been no slack in the system for decades and now we're seeing the result of that.

As I say, all these restrictions are doing in the face of those other problems is dragging this out and f**king our economy for absolutely no gain.

Edited by oaksoft

6 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Where did that figure come from? 

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Assuming you mean the UK. The seven day average is now around 200, that's almost five times as high as it was at the start of October, seven day average deaths at the start of September were also a fifth of what they were at the start of October. It's hardly tiny and the trend is massively worrying. If that trend continues throughout November, we'll hit around 1,000 deaths per day. 

Hopefully the restrictions do the intended job but the evidence does point to 100,000 deaths by the end of the year not being a kick in the arse away from being right. 

3 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Hopefully the restrictions do the intended job

Yes, let's blindly hope that the thing we have been doing for months up to this point which has STILL resulted in an exponential growth of cases suddenly starts to actually work after months of failure.

That sounds like a plan.

Note to self, what's the definition of madness again???

Edited by oaksoft

7 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Where did that figure come from? 

I quoted it two pages ago but it originally came from the ONS and was published today's Grauniad.....

The Covid-19 death toll across the UK has passed 61,000.

The total number of deaths registered by the three statistical agencies across England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland now stands at 59,927.

However, more up-to-date UK government figures show that 1,189 deaths have occured within 28 days of a positive test since the figures were registered in each nation: 1,044 in England, 62 in Scotland, 47 in Wales and 36 in Northern Ireland.

This brings the number of deaths across the four nations of the UK to 61,116.

.....but it's also in The independent & Sky news.

Edited by Bud the Baker

13 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I quoted it two pages ago but it originally came from today's Grauniad.....

.....but it's also in The 

So, coming from the guy who laughed at previous numbers now grabbing a number that seems to be out on it's own? :lol:

Aye, ok, I'll, as I've always done, stick with Worldometer, currently showing 45, 365.

As I said above, 100k by the end of the year.......................gies piece. :byebye

Oh, so it's two different measures, ok, not what I've been looking at since day one. :wink:

All is shows is, again covid isn't the MAIN reason of death, something that's been clear since the early days.

image.thumb.png.323c9c95348b946e4ae5e1d6576293ee.png

Edited by faraway saint