Coronavirus

faraway saint

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

If masks and social distancing worked, why are we seeing an exponential rise in cases after months of compliance by the vast majority of the population?

they're a mitigation not a solution, if none of these things worked at all do you not think the near universal scientific consensus would be not to do it? You make these wild assumptions when you don't have the knowledge to back it. 

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Let's, to keep it simple, split the difference and say the numbers are 50,000 now.

That would need an AVERAGE of just UNDER 800 a day, EVERY day, even the days the stattos are having a much needed sleep. 

Now, if you think that's possible you really have lost the plot. 

It would just take the trend increase we have seen the last two months to continue for the next two months. 

15 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

they're a mitigation not a solution, if none of these things worked at all do you not think the near universal scientific consensus would be not to do it? You make these wild assumptions when you don't have the knowledge to back it. 

This is wrong, apart from your first phrase.

it is near universal political consensus.

SOME scientists have said it may possibly mitigate spread.

Danish scientists are currently running a double blind study on a trusting remote tribal population in somewhere like Borneo... poor bastards.  That may produce more useful results than present hearsay and wishful thinking.

16 minutes ago, jaybee said:

The government down south have got larger and slightly more urgent problems to deal with relative to the self inflicted problems of Scotland or Wales and that includes Covid 19 as well as other issues.   For my expressions of those views I have no doubt I shall get slated, but that does not make them any the less factual. BJ like him or otherwise (and I was never a big fan) has at least followed the democratic wishes of the people in the UK and did more about Brexit than let us just say the previous encumbant.  Scotland and the remainers here have been of no help and the wee gormless lassie that runs the SNP just wants her European Mammy. I would say that both of these actions are at odds with democracy, or do we only advocate that when it suits us or supports our points of view. 

As for who is to blame re lockdowns etc? I cannot argue with the Covid facts and things could have and perhaps should have been better, quicker, more effective, but hindsight is always so very very useful a tool for those who wish to denegrate those who had to actually deal with things the way they were and yes as far as the current resurgence of Covid cases; I blame the people who fail to follow common sense procedures more that someone who is doing their very best to try and keep the Country viable.  Additionally I have no idea what  "your fellow gammons" allude to but have a feeling it probably isn't complimentary, I really don't care.

If you want to discuss Independence or Brexit I'd prefer to do it on the appropriate thread but what "self inflicted problems" and if Westminster is really to busy to deal with these "self inflicted problems" then perhaps they should give us Independence - I cannot see any relevance in your first para although I do detect the usual gammon whinging - you deserve to be slated for it.

As for the second wave getting out of hand I place the "bulk of the blame" on the government and have given at least half-a-dozen reasons for this, all of which you've ignored -  very little of what has gone wrong is down to hindsight. I also blame people who fail to follow common sense procedures to but to a lesser extent, the malaise starts at the top & BJ is no Harry Truman, passing the buck around like it was a hot potato - oh and that is one primo mixed metaphor, you'll not see a better one today! 

If you have no idea what "your fellow gammons" means then you must be Rip Van jaybee and I can see clearly now the rain has gone that you really, really, don't care.

2 minutes ago, antrin said:

This is wrong, apart from your first phrase.

it is near universal political consensus.

SOME scientists have said it may possibly mitigate spread.

Danish scientists are currently running a double blind study on a trusting remote tribal population in somewhere like Borneo... poor bastards.  That may produce more useful results than present hearsay and wishful thinking.

Can you show where the scientific consensus is not to wear masks or socially distance? 

5 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

In the time of a pandemic? 🤷‍♂️

Think about what you type. I already answered.

I conceded some scientists currently are trying a double blind test to see if there is any purpose to their use.

i conceded “SOME scientists have said it may possibly mitigate spread.”

thus ALL OTHER  scientists think masks are probably bollocks, having no impact nor mitigation.  No masks reflect normality.

Word.

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I've ALWAYS used the same source of information, nice attempt to drag me into your games but, you lose. 

Funny, you seem to be, again, pointing the finger at the government yet a doctor (who will I trust, a baker or a doctor) has just reiterated the numbers depend very much on how we behave................."The big impact is going to be how we behave, how we stick to the rules, keep doing simple things, masks, hand washing, social distancing....................that will have a BIG impact"

Aye, the coming months are a concern, just weird how you think 100k could happen(the usual caveat thrown in as a smokescreen), I don't. 

PS I see the forum simpleton is in your camp, that'll do for me. 

...........I agree with the doctor but how we behave stems from the behaviour of those at the top poor policy decisions, the premature exit from lockdown, condoning his favourite SPADs breach of the rules in May, telling us it was our "patriotic duty" to get back to the pub, the late introduction of facemask regulations in July two months after easing the lockdown, ignoring advice from SAGE in September that restrictions needed to be tightened for the best part of a month are just some of the reasons why I insist the government bears "the bulk of the blame" -  the public at large must share some of the blame but to a far lesser extent.

It's less than a month since you were asking where the increase in deaths were, it's a fluid situation and new severe measures are in place which I hope will stem and reverse the present trend, caveats are not a smokescreen they're just an indication that none of know for sure what is going to happen.

19 minutes ago, antrin said:

Think about what you type. I already answered.

I conceded some scientists currently are trying a double blind test to see if there is any purpose to their use.

i conceded “SOME scientists have said it may possibly mitigate spread.”

thus ALL OTHER  scientists think masks are probably bollocks, having no impact nor mitigation.  No masks reflect normality.

Word.

So just to clarify here, the points covered: 

- masks and social distancing are mitigants not categorical solutions (you agreed)

- There ISN'T near scientific consensus not to use them and not to socially distance (you said this is wrong)

- You then start talking about normal times of which we are not in 

- You then concede that some scientists think it's possible to mitigate spread and that testing is ongoing meaning there isn't the consensus as I stated. I may have missed it but I don't see any comment on social distancing

- You then claim "all other" as in anyone that's not doing an experiment or that doesn't think there is possibility to mitigate spread (no numbers provided) think they're useless 

- You then again bring up no masks is normal in normal times, (which again we are not in) 

Thanks for your contribution as confusing, pointless and contradictory as it seems. 👍

27 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

🤡🤡🤡

Aye, but do you think it's likely? 

Any clown can make a graph to give you numbers, it's the likelihood that shows some common sense. 

I hope not, I hope the new guidance that are being put in place helps curb the spread and we don't end up in that position. I wouldn't rule it out though, we seen just how fast the virus spread earlier this year and the issues it caused. I certainly wouldn't be in anyway surprised. 

It could be that even with all these measures, 10s of thousands of people still die. As I have said all along these measures are to mitigate, not eradicate & I fully believe regardless of what happens, they'll have saved many lives. 

This is back to the point you didn't understand last night, we simply don't know. When you don't know something, it is perfectly reasonable not to predict an outcome like you do know. :whistle

15 minutes ago, Yflab said:

I don’t hate all council workers........

.......just you! 

Well sorry if I've clearly upset you. 

I'm still not sure what the goal is in claiming I'm a council worker... I'm sure in your own head it's great banter and makes perfect sense. :whistle

Edited by bazil85

6 minutes ago, Yflab said:

I just don’t understand how you can spend so long on here with massive posts and do your job at the same time.

Saying that I’m told only women can multi task. That explains a great deal.

You must have a very understanding employer. 😂 

Taking between 30 seconds and a few minutes per post isn't much of a drain on my working day believe it or not. The nature of my role is I can pick my own hours as well and I'm marked on review deliverables. As long as I meet my deadlines (which I do) my boss couldn't care less. 

You really do hate me eh? You're lashing out all over the place... I can hardly even remember engaging with you as well. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by bazil85

2 minutes ago, Yflab said:

At least you don’t deny you are a woman. Maybe you should change your username to Sybil.

356F5A6F-DA99-4AEB-886D-E9C4535EE9D3.jpeg.5979dd00d8031d0db94a648b0fb66119.jpeg

I'm not a woman no, similar to the council worker point though, I'm not sure what the issue is if I was? 

Anyway, sorry at whatever I've done to make you "hate" me. I genuinely can't think of anything. I'm sure we have posted before a days or so ago but I can't think what it would have been 

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

I hope not, I hope the new guidance that are being put in place helps curb the spread and we don't end up in that position. I wouldn't rule it out though, we seen just how fast the virus spread earlier this year and the issues it caused. I certainly wouldn't be in anyway surprised. 

It could be that even with all these measures, 10s of thousands of people still die. As I have said all along these measures are to mitigate, not eradicate & I fully believe regardless of what happens, they'll have saved many lives. 

This is back to the point you didn't understand last night, we simply don't know. When you don't know something, it is perfectly reasonable not to predict an outcome like you do know. :whistle

So mibbies aye and mibbies naw. 

And you say I don't understand. 

😂😂😂

15 minutes ago, Yflab said:

You were the first person to bring the word “hate” into the conversation. I don’t hate you. I was only making a joke at your expense. Next time I will put a wee smilie in to make sure you know it’s a joke. 🤣

I feel sorry for you if I’m being honest. You defend the indefensible at times on this topic

Such as? 

Just now, faraway saint said:

So mibbies aye and mibbies naw. 

And you say I don't understand. 

😂😂😂

You don't "know" what the death total will be at the end of 2020, no one does. You not understanding that's the reason people don't give answers won't change this. 

With a gun to my head I think there will be between 80k - over 100k deaths by the end of the second week in January (went for that given the Christmas and New Year reporting, not sure how it'll work exactly) 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sturgeon-did-not-know-coronavirus-patients-were-sent-to-care-homes-5psf6v0l0  

Nicola Sturgeon has said she had no idea that patients who had tested positive for the coronavirus had been moved into care homes until she read about it in the press.

In August it was reported that dozens of elderly people who had been found to have the virus had been moved from wards into residential homes, as the number of cases in hospitals soared and they tried to free up capacity.

It appears the Public Health Scotland commissioned report findings are published today and early word is there was no "significant statistical evidence" that the policy lead to increased deaths or was the driver for outbreaks. Make of that what you will however it seems to be the same outcome as the inquiry in Wales came to as well. 

8 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

You don't "know" what the death total will be at the end of 2020, no one does. You not understanding that's the reason people don't give answers won't change this. 

With a gun to my head I think there will be between 80k - over 100k deaths by the end of the second week in January (went for that given the Christmas and New Year reporting, not sure how it'll work exactly) 

So, taking 50,000 being the figure now, well not really but I'll play along, and splitting your number to be 90,000 that equates to just over 500 EVERY day for the next 78 days. 

Jeezo. 😂

Edited by faraway saint

8 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

I hope nobody puts a gun to your head. Police would never get to the bottom of it, there would be over 8000 suspects.