Coronavirus

faraway saint

1 hour ago, antrin said:

Ah.

Now, that’s better. The added “would have” is the necessary concession that you don’t know.  You simply don’t.

You could have saved yourself that correction/qualification if you had just been honest and accurate in the first place.

you are learning.  You may get there... 

If I was Bazil I’d be telling you to go stick your opinion up yer...............

elbow.

1 hour ago, antrin said:

Ah.

Now, that’s better. The added “would have” is the necessary concession that you don’t know.  You simply don’t.

You could have saved yourself that correction/qualification if you had just been honest and accurate in the first place.

you are learning.  You may get there... 

I do know, the lockdown saved lives.

The comparison I think I made at the time was, if someone told me they just rolled a dice 100,000 times I would "know" that some of those dice rolls were a six. You can be as pedantic as you want over it (for example, say spending months obsessing over it having to bring it up time and time again on BAWA), it would be perfectly reasonable to make that comment as a statement of fact. 

The poster in question is very well known for using the trivial to try and cause arguments, it doesn't sit well with him when he's called out on that. Do yourself a favour and don't lower yourself to that standard.  

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I'm fairly sure you have tried to inform him of this before, like so many subjects it seems to go over his head, or in one ear and out the other.

You choose. 

No I get the point he is trying to make (I always have), my point is it's pedantic, trivial and doesn't add to any debate. The person that originated this point is famous for it on here. Lockdown saved lives. Speaking of which, looks like France are going back in. 

3 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

No I get the point he is trying to make (I always have), my point is it's pedantic, trivial and doesn't add to any debate. The person that originated this point is famous for it on here. Lockdown saved lives. Speaking of which, looks like France are going back in. 

New Zealand isn't.........................I like this game, like Pointless without the duff prize money. 

50 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

I do know, the lockdown saved lives.

The comparison I think I made at the time was, if someone told me they just rolled a dice 100,000 times I would "know" that some of those dice rolls were a six. You can be as pedantic as you want over it (for example, say spending months obsessing over it having to bring it up time and time again on BAWA), it would be perfectly reasonable to make that comment as a statement of fact. 

The poster in question is very well known for using the trivial to try and cause arguments, it doesn't sit well with him when he's called out on that. Do yourself a favour and don't lower yourself to that standard.  

Aye.

OK.  Omnipotent.  :rolleyes:

You already know what all research MIGHT eventually provide -  at some time - for us to perhaps KNOW what has happened.

Well done you,  :)

Reality (in your mind) = trivial.

Discussion with you - is - pointless.

14 minutes ago, antrin said:

Aye.

You already know what all research MIGHT eventually provide -  at some time - for us to perhaps KNOW what has happened.

Well done you,  :)

It's a testament to Slarti really, that even after all this time, this pedantic, trivial point just won't die. I suppose he does bring it up often enough to keep it alive. 

Aye.

Well done you,  [emoji4]

Why do you think he put "know" in ""? Is it because he realises that he doesn't know? He's accusing Faraway of exactly the same thing that he is denying doing.

I must admit, I was wrong about something, there actually is someone who IS that lacking in self-awareness. I stand corrected.

4 hours ago, antrin said:

We can't yet KNOW that lockdown saved lives.  Too soon to be THAT sure.

the drop in deaths may be down to how the virus lives its  life.

or due to the fact (in the northern hemisphere) that Summer arrived and fewer people were contained indoors, in enclosed spaces.
or...

a host of other reasons.

Nobody knows yet.
except you.

To deploy YOUR go-to evasive tactic....

...how about you provide us with solid EVIDENCE that Lockdown saved lives?

To be fair to Bazil, he makes about as much sense as Whitty or Vallance with his wide, sweeping statements and no evidence to back them up.

He'll be along with a graph in a minute.

14 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Police Scotland broke up about 300 house parties last month.

That's just the ones they knew about. 

Aye, compliance by the majority but it only takes an ever growing minority to feck it up for us all. 

7 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Interesting article here and these are just the one's they know about.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8889675/Police-Scotland-broke-3-000-illegal-parties-two-months-ban.html

Imagine being a front line NHS worker and reading this ?

Interesting.

It's ok, it's all the governments fault. 

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

To be fair to Bazil, he makes about as much sense as Whitty or Vallance with his wide, sweeping statements and no evidence to back them up.

He'll be along with a graph in a minute.

I don't present anything as "fact" that we don't already know. For example I doubt there is a single person here that in all honesty would claim they believe lockdown didn't save even a single persons life in the UK. Maybe Andy but he's seemingly vanished. 

If people want to get tied down in the pedantic trivial nature of challenging that fine, I refused to pander to the OP on that attempt and I will continue to refuse to do the same with anyone else. 

8 hours ago, Slarti said:

It's not.  There is "a view", it's his.  Doesn't mean it's right but it is a view.

I was attacking his method of dismissive argument rather than the principle of whether the lockdown did work or not. I'm now leaning towards it not having worked but who fecking knows (apart from Bazil the Great of course).

Given that we've spent £200 billion and inadvertently killed countless cancer, diabete, care home and heart disease patients by locking down the country and most of the NHS, I'd say that being in a position to know rather than suspect that the lockdown worked was a lot more than just being pedantic.

Edited by oaksoft

7 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Astounding the statement from wee Nicky re care homes.

There's not much doubt there were people sent to care homes with the virus, tragic. 

Care homes all over the world were hit by the virus you plonker,  in Sweden alone over 80% of covid deaths were of people in care,  The virus didn't just get in via the Hospital 

17 hours ago, oaksoft said:

It can't just be that for two reasons.

1) This second wave of infections is happening across the world.

2) This second wave is bigger in terms of infections than the first wave when everyone was mingling with each other. Now only a fraction of the population are doing that.

Somehow the virus has spread somewhere and has re-emerged. IMO it's been hiding on all manner of surfaces.

1) Not EVERY country has seen the same disastrous number we are seeing.

2) The TESTING is showing the numbers are much bigger.

That pesky virus, been hiding under the stairs. :lol:

19 hours ago, oaksoft said:

It can't just be that for two reasons.

1) This second wave of infections is happening across the world.

2) This second wave is bigger in terms of infections than the first wave when everyone was mingling with each other. Now only a fraction of the population are doing that.

Somehow the virus has spread somewhere and has re-emerged. IMO it's been hiding on all manner of surfaces.

Interesting article in The Grauniad by a scientist in that field.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/28/understanding-aerosol-transmission-key-controlling-coronavirus-wash-hands

He seems more convinced by the aerosols (which may ultimately contaminate surfaces) route of transmission.

i particularly like how he consistently qualifies and equivocates his assertions, ideas and suggestions by the admission that currently he can have no certitude.  He has a lot of knowledge with credible theories arising therefrom, but he won’t reject criticism and adverse comment cos he disnae really know yet...

good guy.

10 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I was attacking his method of dismissive argument rather than the principle of whether the lockdown did work or not. I'm now leaning towards it not having worked but who fecking knows (apart from Bazil the Great of course).

Given that we've spent £200 billion and inadvertently killed countless cancer, diabete, care home and heart disease patients by locking down the country and most of the NHS, I'd say that being in a position to know rather than suspect that the lockdown worked was a lot more than just being pedantic.

Yeah, but a certain person's opinion is fact, or so they've admitted believing.

It's all irrelevant anyway, at least for those who believe that you can choose to believe something.  They can just choose to believe that there have been no deaths at all, from anything, and carry on as normal.