Coronavirus

faraway saint

10 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I was attacking his method of dismissive argument rather than the principle of whether the lockdown did work or not. I'm now leaning towards it not having worked but who fecking knows (apart from Bazil the Great of course).

Given that we've spent £200 billion and inadvertently killed countless cancer, diabete, care home and heart disease patients by locking down the country and most of the NHS, I'd say that being in a position to know rather than suspect that the lockdown worked was a lot more than just being pedantic.

5 minutes ago, Slarti said:

Yeah, but a certain person's opinion is fact, or so they've admitted believing.

It's all irrelevant anyway, at least for those who believe that you can choose to believe something.  They can just choose to believe that there have been no deaths at all, from anything, and carry on as normal.

It seems you've misunderstood Oakster, Salrti's obsession is over his point that you can't prove lockdown has saved even one life, not that it has worked overall (which I believe it absolutely has). It is a fact that at least one person (there will be many) is alive today that wouldn't be if lockdown measures were never put in place. This is where the pedantic and trivial nature of this poster comes in (not for the first time) and they simply can't help but keep bringing it up. 

This is why my example of the 100,000 dice rolls comes into play, if I was to say "at least one of those dice rolls would have been a six, fact" I'm sure any reasonable person would agree that someone saying "yOu CaN't KnOw ThAt As FaCt!" would be making a rather pedantic and trivial point. This is what Slarti does, he's done it before, he'll done it again, it's his way of kicking up an argument.

I refuse to pander to him by entertaining that approach. He'll cry about it many more times I'm sure, he got upset and put me on ignore (that worked a treat haha) it's just his way of coping with not being able to bring me down to his level. I would hope you wouldn't stoop that low either only as a means to argue. We have plenty more tangible disagreements to argue over. 👍

Some of the key points from NS update today on the levels. I fear this is just the start, can see more and more areas going 3 and the first areas going 4 in the coming weeks.

Horrible situation in so many countries. Globally the daily death averages this week went as high as some of the peaks seen in April, the deaths registered yesterday have only been topped eight times in the life of this virus from what I can tell, worrying times.

Renfrewshire – 3

Inverclyde  - 3

East Renfrewshire – 3

City of Glasgow – 3

North/ South Lanarkshire – 3 (borderline decision on going to 4)

13 hours ago, Yflab said:

Joking aside. If you can’t even get a simple graph right how the fcuk did you get a PhD?

Joking aside, there was nothing wrong with the graph.

You might not have understood it or agreed with the prediction but there was nothing wrong with it.

Edited by oaksoft

15 hours ago, bazil85 said:

I doubt there is a single person here that in all honesty would claim they believe lockdown didn't save even a single persons life in the UK. 

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

Some of the key points from NS update today on the levels. I fear this is just the start, can see more and more areas going 3 and the first areas going 4 in the coming weeks.

Horrible situation in so many countries. Globally the daily death averages this week went as high as some of the peaks seen in April, the deaths registered yesterday have only been topped eight times in the life of this virus from what I can tell, worrying times.

Renfrewshire – 3

Inverclyde  - 3

East Renfrewshire – 3

City of Glasgow – 3

North/ South Lanarkshire – 3 (borderline decision on going to 4)

Looks like lockdown has been really efficacious in stopping the spread of cv19.

That mythical single person whose life it saved must be breathing easier.

:whistle

Edited by antrin

15 minutes ago, antrin said:

Looks like lockdown has been really efficacious in stopping the spread of cv19.

That mythical single person whose life it saved must be breathing easier.

:whistle

Not sure if your post is actual ignorance on measures to curb the virus or a tongue in cheek attempted pop.

Tricky one 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Not sure if your post is actual ignorance on measures to curb the virus or a tongue in cheek attempted pop.

Tricky one 🤷‍♂️

And I’m sure that your uncharacteristic uncertainty won’t hinder you posting unsustainable claims, either way.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

It might be quicker and easier if you just listed the posters you haven't pissed off on here.

Ditto*

You make it out like people pissing each other off is some sort of anomaly on BAWA. 

*Since we are in the midst of a trivial d**k measuring contest, no I don't actually think that method would be quicker for Oak or me.

4 minutes ago, Yflab said:

From what I remember your graph had no x and y axis descriptions. It was just a squiggly line. A five year old could have done a better job. 😂

Oh FFS it was a simple cut and paste error which was spotted pretty quickly and I corrected it the following week.

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

I'm not saying it cannot be transmitted by aerosol but most people are not sitting that close to others for 4-5 hours at a time.

What I was focussing on was why it went away and then came back months later with a massive surge in cases. IMO that was nothing to do with students or mask compliance. Clearly the virus was hibernating somewhere until traditional flu season started to hit and then re-emerged. Maybe some people are natural asymptomatic carriers - that will need more research to answer, but for me the culprit could well be that it's surviving on surfaces until the climate is right for it to kick off again.

Just now, Yflab said:

We all laughed for at least 2 weeks.

How come it took you a week to figure out how to correct it? 

No idea what you are talking about. It didn't take me a week to figure out how to correct it. I just couldn't be arsed re-publishing it straight away.

I think slarti or cockles spotted it straight away and I fixed it on Excel a few hours later when I had some free time.

The laughter was mainly from the likes of FS and the biology teacher who took exception to the exponential extrapolation from the worldometer data. Then there was slarti and antrin who thought the data was of no value because it didn't take into account every single possible variable.

If you were laughing at a graph because it didn't have labelled axes then you might need to get out a bit more bud. 😄

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

No idea what you are talking about. It didn't take me a week to figure out how to correct it. I just couldn't be arsed re-publishing it straight away.

I think slarti or cockles spotted it straight away and I fixed it on Excel a few hours later when I had some free time.

The laughter was mainly from the likes of FS and the biology teacher who took exception to the exponential extrapolation from the worldometer data. Then there was slarti and antrin who thought the data was of no value because it didn't take into account every single possible variable.

If you were laughing at a graph because it didn't have labelled axes then you might need to get out a bit more bud. 😄

I for one am shocked...

5 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

I for one am shocked...

It would be better if you used it as a learning experience not to be so arrogantly certain about "facts" which are derived from methods which are necessarily employing huge approximations.

The 3 of you show a shocking lack of knowledge about how science works. You are much worse than the pair of them.

Edited by oaksoft

9 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It would be better if you used it as a learning experience not to be so arrogantly certain about "facts" which are derived from methods which are necessarily employing huge approximations.

The 3 of you show a shocking lack of knowledge about how science works. You are much worse than the pair of them.

Another one falling down to Slarti's trivial pedantic nature, disappointing. Especially since in a roundabout way you've just called him out on the same thing. 

As for arrogant, not so long ago you single headedly took credit for education me on certain aspects of this pandemic, not only wasn't it true but it was one of the most arrogant posts I've seen on here. You have previous, many would agree you are one of the most arrogant individuals on BAWA. 

As for your last point, it's simply not true, you just get more upset than most when people don't share your views. You claiming to know more about the science around Covid19 than others (again sheer arrogance) has to date been near completely baseless.  

Edited by bazil85

6 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Another one falling down to Slarti's trivial pedantic nature, disappointing. Especially since in a roundabout way you've just called him out on the same thing. 

As for arrogant, not so long ago you single headedly took credit for education me on certain aspects of this pandemic, not only wasn't it true but it was one of the most arrogant posts I've seen on here. You have previous, many would agree you are one of the most arrogant individuals on BAWA. 

As for your last point, it's simply not true, you just get more upset than most when people don't share your views. You claiming to know more about the science around Covid19 than others (again sheer arrogance) has to date been near completely baseless.  

I'm not reading this pile of shite.

At the start of October, I emptied my ignore bin.

You can go back in now.

If you were laughing at a graph because it didn't have labelled axes then you might need to get out a bit more bud. [emoji1]
It would have been cockles, he was known for his accuracy regarding numbers.

Oh how it pissed off and embarrassed habitual liars.

He asked me to add. Not that he thought you were lying. [emoji6]

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

As for arrogant, not so long ago you single headedly took credit for education me on

I doubt even oxter would take credit for your ‘education’!  :)

not even ‘single headedly’...

Edited by antrin