Coronavirus

faraway saint

I love the selection of opinions of erm... a whole two epidemiologists on the BBC who are predicting anything between 5 years and 'decades' for a return to normality. 

It's most definitely off the scale scaremongering. It still amazes me that any credence at all is given to Neil Ferguson who despite being a world renowned expert on epidemiology, has completely f**ked up most of his predictions since the start of this. 

At the end of the day, experts in their field they may be, but they are looking at numbers and just guessing. Hence the wildly varying predictions of how this pandemic will pan out. I'd be very hesitant to listen to and pin my expectations on the opinion, negative or positive, of any one of them currently. 

The current gameplan of 'protect all needless deaths and to f**k with cost' will definitely not stick. 

This will get found out at a point where they realise 

1) Its wholly endemic and they will need to account for a number of 'acceptable deaths' per annum as they do with every other endemic disease, that's not being cold, it's just a fact that some people are always going to die of this and not every death is avoidable. 

2) A vaccine isn't going to cure this but will likely get it down to a stage where 'acceptable deaths' are at a level we can get back to life. 

This nonsense that even in the presence of a vaccine, social distancing and facemasks will need to remain for several years is just that. Nonsense. At present, most folk are still playing nice and being courteous on the distancing and face mask points but if and when life goes back to as close to pre covid as is feasible, there will be no longer be valid reason for avoiding others and wearing masks. 

Edited by djchapsticks

3 hours ago, alanb said:

Return of the Chuckle Brothers...

https://twitter.com/ShehabKhan/status/1322523308491984897?s=20

Tune in at 4PM or stick with the rugby

Now 5PM canne make their mind up

Have to say this is a shambles, almost 5:15, nothing.

Most of the details appear to have already been leaked.

Fast becoming my catch phrase, a fecking mess. 

BBC just hinting it could be closer to 6:00pm. :thumbsdown

Edited by faraway saint

6 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Have to say this is a shambles, almost 5:15, nothing.

Most of the details appear to have already been leaked.

Fast becoming my catch phrase, a fecking mess. 

BBC just hinting it could be closer to 6:00pm. :thumbsdown

Boris locked in a fridge all afternoon 

predicting 6:30PM before he thaws out

The current gameplan of 'protect all needless deaths and to f**k with cost' will definitely not stick. 
1) Its wholly endemic and they will need to account for a number of 'acceptable deaths' per annum as they do with every other endemic disease, that's not being cold, it's just a fact that some people are always going to die of this and not every death is avoidable. 
2) A vaccine isn't going to cure this but will likely get it down to a stage where 'acceptable deaths' are at a level we can get back to life. 

This nonsense that even in the presence of a vaccine, social distancing and facemasks will need to remain for several years is just that. Nonsense. At present, most folk are still playing nice and being courteous on the distancing and face mask points but if and when life goes back to as close to pre covid as is feasible, there will be no longer be valid reason for avoiding others and wearing masks. 
And anyone who seriously believes there will be are as mad as those spouting the shite. Bar mad professor types I've yet to hear anyone even suggesting it will become the norm.

On 10/29/2020 at 7:48 AM, Yflab said:

And in my opinion governments globally are taking this as an opportunity to kill off an ageing elderly population that have become a massive drain on their economy through state pensions, social and hospital care, etc,

The Chinese have an absolute brutal human rights record against their own people. Don’t take my word for it. Have a read of this article https://www.varsity.co.uk/interviews/19990

If they are capable of doing that to their own people, then they are more than capable of unleashing a lab created virus.

That's got to be the most ridiculous statement I've heard on the topic of coronavirus and I've heard loads,  don't think it will be beat the trophy is yours  🏆  :lol: 

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

And anyone who seriously believes there will be are as mad as those spouting the shite. Bar mad professor types I've yet to hear anyone even suggesting it will become the norm.

There's a professor at Edinburgh Uni saying we could be wearing masks and social distancing for DECADES.

Apparently he said that with a straight face.

Paving the way to follow the shambles in Westminster while still trying to claim shes doing the best she can for Scotland.
Lockdown to follow here in a few days, just wait.
I'd be very surprised if she didn't give the new tier system here a few weeks especially given our new infections seem to be flattening before they even come into force.

There's a professor at Edinburgh Uni saying we could be wearing masks and social distancing for DECADES.
I suppose some may be convinced / converted. Leitch gets widely criticised for his initial response to mask wearing before he "toed the party line" but he had a point. Personally I wear it when required, I honestly find it no big deal given how few situations I actually find myself in where they are required but to think they will become the norm or second nature is mental. It's a necessary evil for now.

41 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That's exactly who I was referring to when I was mentioning it. The BBC website, no less are giving him a platform to spout this utter garbage. 

1 minute ago, Yflab said:

At a bare minimum we should have closely monitored the borders by testing everyone entering and introduced strict restrictions by forcing a 14 day isolation period on anyone arriving in the UK. That’s how countries in the Far East treated the situation and is reflected in the low deaths. It’s a fcuking disgrace.

I agree.

I don’t think the stats from the two places you quoted are likely to be accurate recording though. They may be but I’m skeptical. 

Just now, Yflab said:

I’ve not spun anything. It is a statement of fact. Dido Harding has failed at most jobs she has taken on. There are people running this country who have blood on their hands while others are making money on the back of it. It is fcuking shameful.

I agree with all of that, from your posts to me it seems like you were perhaps under the impression I don’t. Am I wrong? 

2 minutes ago, Yflab said:

So Singapore and Australian government are lying about this? 

Did you share Australia? I only seen Singapore and Hong Kong, lying might be a strong word but I don’t trust either reporting. It’s just a sceptical view (feel I need to clarify this because we know a certain poster that’ll start crying about facts) could be wrong, just seems a bit unbelievable.