Coronavirus

faraway saint

Ah, Sir Desmond Swayne, that well known supporter of the unemployed, is concerned that their numbers might increase. Sir Desmond, who first became known for taking part in marches against unemployment in the 1980's, is a regular volunteer at his local unemployed workers centre.
In solidarity, brother.
I'm assuming with his quote of "they'll die in great numbers" he'll be tendering his resignation so he isn't associated with such a crime. [emoji848]

3 hours ago, Yflab said:

Article about how Taiwan (population 23million) have achieved a 200 day local COVID-19 day free record. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/record-200-days-with-no-local-case-makes-taiwan-world-e2-80-99s-envy/ar-BB1auESn

"Taiwan holds the world’s best virus record by far and reached the 200-day landmark on Thursday. Its last local case came on April 12; there has been no second wave. On Friday, it reached 201 days without a local case.

What did this island of 23 million people do right? It has had 553 confirmed cases, with only seven deaths. Experts say closing borders early and tightly regulating travel have gone a long way toward fighting the virus. Other factors include rigorous contact tracing, technology-enforced quarantine and widespread mask wearing. Further, Taiwan’s deadly experience with SARS has scared people into compliance."

What do our "let Covid run riot" friends have to say to this?

Seven day death averages, end of the week.

w/e 1st November 260 (46% increase) 

w/e 25th October 178 (52% increase)

w/e 18th October 117 (72% increase)

w/e 11th October 68 (33% increase)

w/e 4th October 51 

Please don't let individual day reporting skew your judgement, the increasing rates of this virus death rates is very worrying, even at the lowest weekly increase seen throughout October, it paints a very bleak end of the year picture. 

I'm lucky enough to be in Lanzarote at the moment and face mask need to be worn at all time outdoors. Only seen 2 people not wearing them and 1 was a cop. Brutal to wear in the hot weather since breathing out is making my sunglasses steam up [emoji41] but it does seem to help as the level of the virus is low on the island. Wouldn't surprise me if the wearing of mask outdoors is brought in by our or the uk gov.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/software-bungle-meant-nhs-covid-app-failed-to-warn-users-to-self-isolate-6tzstqnr9

The “world-beating” NHS Covid app, downloaded by 19 million people, has systematically failed to send alerts telling people to self-isolate after they came into contact with infected people.
Thousands were not contacted by the Test and Trace app, developed under Baroness (Dido) Harding, because it was set at the wrong sensitivity, the government has admitted.

You do know that this app isn't used in Scotland and that we took the one the Irish had and adapted it at a cost of c£1m?

w/e 4th October 51 
Please don't let individual day reporting skew your judgement, the increasing rates of this virus death rates is very worrying, even at the lowest weekly increase seen throughout October, it paints a very bleak end of the year picture. 
Surely that shows the rate of increase starting to level off after a peak % rise about 3 weeks ago. ?

Of course I do. It was posted to highlight the cost to the UK as a whole. It’s a feckin disgrace that people like cnut face Dido feckin Harding get paid to deliver such shit. She has history of fcuk ups. Yet still gets top jobs.
Without disagreeing with the sentiment re the woman married to the UK's Anti-Corruption Champion (you really couldnae make this up), you're saying it will cost Scotland 9% of £12bn for f**k all benefit? And people wonder why we want out...

36 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
1 hour ago, bazil85 said:
w/e 4th October 51 

Surely that shows the rate of increase starting to level off after a peak % rise about 3 weeks ago. ?

As numbers increase it will likely level a bit regarding the percentage increase each week but the actual increase in deaths each week continues to rise more and more. Every week is an increase on the last regarding the number of new deaths. 17, 49, 61, 82 and so on, that's where the real worry is. 

Surely people accept there must be some kind of method behind the near consensus of the relevant scientific community that cases are going to explode over the coming months? 

48 minutes ago, Yflab said:

What is more worrying is the number of suicides taking place every day in the UK.
This will likely increase in the weeks and months ahead as more businesses collapse leading to higher unemployment, house repossessions, rent arrears, homelessness, bankruptcies. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/sep/01/male-suicide-rate-england-wales-covid-19

https://media.samaritans.org/documents/SamaritansSuicideStatsReport_2019_Full_report.pdf

“Higher rates of suicide among middle-aged men in recent years might be because this group is more likely to be affected by economic adversity, alcoholism and isolation.“

It's a very sad time we live in, there is no situation where everyone comes out of this alive and yes, I think there is a chance suicide rates could go up in 2020. Both your links are from 2019 data though so it isn't linked to Covid19 (sure you are aware, just for others reading a covid19 thread that might not be). For me you're highlighting another very serious issue in the world regarding mental health, absolutely fine.  

It's a matter of opinion but for me I wouldn't say "more worrying" I think Covid19 is rightfully a massive worry in the world right now. I would much prefer to see better support for mental health in any lockdown restrictions than removing restriction policy that potentially increase covid19 deaths further. 

10 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Did you miss these stats from London @bazil85 ?

With regards the annual reports.  These are always produced the following year. Correct me if I’m wrong but it’s still 2020.

I thought you were a bit smarter than that. Jeez.

^^^ This is exactly the point I have been making to you over the last week or so. No matter how balanced my responses are to you, because of my username you'll always try argue & go on the defensive. You're far from the only one. Although of course not everyone (see Ayrshire Saints perfectly reasonable point to me earlier where he didn't feel the need to be argumentative or belittling) 

I hadn't read that BBC article no sorry, I don't see how that has anything to do with how intelligent a person is. You may have missed where I said there is a chance suicide rates will go up in 2020 because of covid19? 

I do know when the stats are released, I was simply pointing out yours were from 2019 in case anyone was interpreting those specific reports as evidence covid19 had caused a rise in suicides. I literally said "sure you are aware" and it's for the benefit of others. 

regarding the overarching theme here, your other posts on this topic don't suggest you want restrictions relaxed to (potentially) protect suicides at the cost of even more Covid19 deaths (correct me if I'm wrong.) So it would seem, yet again our views are very similar. See first point on you getting your back up because of my username. 👍

Edited by bazil85

Is the SG saying that the WMG are claiming that the furlough scheme, funded by all UK tax payers, can only be accessed by the other devolved governments during the time that its deemed most required in England and not when it's most required in each nation ? If so that is bonkers .

2 hours ago, bazil85 said:

It's a very sad time we live in, there is no situation where everyone comes out of this alive and yes, I think there is a chance suicide rates could go up in 2020. Both your links are from 2019 data though so it isn't linked to Covid19 (sure you are aware, just for others reading a covid19 thread that might not be). For me you're highlighting another very serious issue in the world regarding mental health, absolutely fine.  

It's a matter of opinion but for me I wouldn't say "more worrying" I think Covid19 is rightfully a massive worry in the world right now. I would much prefer to see better support for mental health in any lockdown restrictions than removing restriction policy that potentially increase covid19 deaths further. 

I have heard anecdotal evidence that suicides are a "major concern," however the data that I have access to does not support an increase. (This is provisional and subject to revision).  Also attempts may be up with translating into actual deaths. It bears watching, but there is as yet no evidence I've seen of this spike. 

2 minutes ago, insaintee said:

I have heard anecdotal evidence that suicides are a "major concern," however the data that I have access to does not support an increase. (This is provisional and subject to revision).  Also attempts may be up with translating into actual deaths. It bears watching, but there is as yet no evidence I've seen of this spike. 

Fair enough that's your view, I disagree. 

On the current trajectory of the last month, if it was to continue increasing close to that level we would comfortably hit many of the predictions by the end of the year. Time will tell, let's hope not but the damage for November has pretty much already been done. 

18 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Fair enough that's your view, I disagree. 

On the current trajectory of the last month, if it was to continue increasing close to that level we would comfortably hit many of the predictions by the end of the year. Time will tell, let's hope not but the damage for November has pretty much already been done. 

Suicide rate are a very erratic measure, using month on month or week on week comparisions can be misleading. If you look at the duration of the entire pandemic there have been periods where the rate is highter than the 5 year average and periods when it has been lower. 

Suicide rate are a very erratic measure, using month on month or week on week comparisions can be misleading. If you look at the duration of the entire pandemic there have been periods where the rate is highter than the 5 year average and periods when it has been lower. 

I agree, lots of other factors that impact them as well. That's why for me, suicide rates shouldn't govern covid19 restrictions. They should however force action regarding support and mitigation. 

Exactly... wait till the 10 in a row is decided... rates will go through the roof... will the pandemic get the blame... most likely 

8 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

I agree, lots of other factors that impact them as well. That's why for me, suicide rates shouldn't govern covid19 restrictions. They should however force action regarding support and mitigation. 

Absolutely, but I have heard some right wing comentators using suice rates to do exactly that, even though there is only at best weak evidence that this is the case. For long periods of the lock down rates appear to have been lower than normal. Again my data is provisional and I have yet to see any that supports the "everyone is killing themselves," message

Edited by insaintee