Coronavirus

faraway saint

7 minutes ago, shull said:

No, clear spin. Her point was very clear and justified. If the Tory government refuse to extend furlough when needed by any part of the country when London doesn't need it, a decision will have to be made that balances financial support for people/ businesses and suppresses the virus in the hope a lockdown isn't needed at a time when the Tory government may not give the same financial support (if London doesn't need to lockdown.) 

These conversations are needing to happen because it is clear the government are only prioritising London and care little about the rest of the UK. 

^^^ This is exactly the point I have been making to you over the last week or so. No matter how balanced my responses are to you, because of my username you'll always try argue & go on the defensive. You're far from the only one. Although of course not everyone (see Ayrshire Saints perfectly reasonable point to me earlier where he didn't feel the need to be argumentative or belittling) 
I hadn't read that BBC article no sorry, I don't see how that has anything to do with how intelligent a person is. You may have missed where I said there is a chance suicide rates will go up in 2020 because of covid19? 
I do know when the stats are released, I was simply pointing out yours were from 2019 in case anyone was interpreting those specific reports as evidence covid19 had caused a rise in suicides. I literally said "sure you are aware" and it's for the benefit of others. 
regarding the overarching theme here, your other posts on this topic don't suggest you want restrictions relaxed to (potentially) protect suicides at the cost of even more Covid19 deaths (correct me if I'm wrong.) So it would seem, yet again our views are very similar. See first point on you getting your back up because of my username. [emoji106]

I’d checked online a few months ago for the suicide rate after watching an article which stated (but wasn’t confirmed at the time) that there had been 1000 suicides in August throughout England and Wales. The figures for the previous year are announced in June (no idea why that gap is)

IMG_1604329535.055937.jpg

3 minutes ago, Russian Saint said:

I’d checked online a few months ago for the suicide rate after watching an article which stated (but wasn’t confirmed at the time) that there had been 1000 suicides in August throughout England and Wales. The figures for the previous year are announced in June (no idea why that gap is)

Yeah time will tell, I would personally be massively surprised if increases in suicide rivalled (or even made a dent) the pandemic this year. That's not to say suicide rates aren't a big issue and concern, I'm a firm believer that much more needs to be done to support people during restrictions. Good to see some positive steps from the SNP in that sense recently. 

Um, is this the answer?

Would our governments even have the competence to do it?

Is it all too late anyway?

Nearly half of Slovakia’s entire population were tested for coronavirus on Saturday, as the country began a two day testing programme which it hopes will bring the virus under control without further lockdown measures.

Of the 2.58 million Slovaks who took the test, 25,850, or 1%, tested positive and must go into quarantine.

More than 40,000 medics and support teams of soldiers, police, administrative workers and volunteers staffed around 5,000 sites to administer the antigen swab tests. The country, which has a population of 5.5m, is aiming to test as many citizens as possible, except those under the age of 10.

7 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
7 hours ago, bazil85 said:
Seven day death averages, end of the week.
w/e 1st November 260 (46% increase) 
w/e 25th October 178 (52% increase)
w/e 18th October 117 (72% increase)
w/e 11th October 68 (33% increase)
w/e 4th October 51 
Please don't let individual day reporting skew your judgement, the increasing rates of this virus death rates is very worrying, even at the lowest weekly increase seen throughout October, it paints a very bleak end of the year picture. 

Surely that shows the rate of increase starting to level off after a peak % rise about 3 weeks ago. ?

Which I've been alluding to the last week or so, and why I questioned the UK & Scottish government's decision to INCREASE the existing restrictions.

They could have jumped the gun here, unnecessarily further damaging the fragile economy. 

As for the outrageous numbers posted by some last week............................:lol:

Which I've been alluding to the last week or so, and why I questioned the UK & Scottish government's decision to INCREASE the existing restrictions.
They could have jumped the gun here, unnecessarily further damaging the fragile economy. 
As for the outrageous numbers posted by some last week............................[emoji38]
In Ayrshire the measures actually did relax a bit today with the tier system. Restaurants and pubs that serve food reopened here albeit they are prohibited to sell booze.

Just now, faraway saint said:

As for the outrageous numbers posted by some last week............................:lol:

I explained to the poster that the levelling out in percentages relates to ever increasing cases, we are still accelerating every single week regarding deaths recorded and if that continues, the death toll will fall in line with expectations. If deaths do accelerate, you'll see the numbers and percentages reflect these scenarios soon enough.

IMO you've been massively premature (again) in your conclusions. It is however a separate point on the "4,000 cases a day" which you've completely failed to grasp is estimated worse case if we don't take any decisive action, which obviously has been taken. 

I sincerely hope I am wrong but I see my prediction of 80,000+ deaths by the second week of the year becoming more and more inevitable. 😢

39 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
45 minutes ago, faraway saint said:
As for the outrageous numbers posted by some last week............................emoji38.png

In Ayrshire the measures actually did relax a bit today with the tier system. Restaurants and pubs that serve food reopened here albeit they are prohibited to sell booze.

It's still early days but, as you said, the numbers are leveling out, maybe the irresponsible clots are taking heed?

Maybe I was right laughing at the massive numbers quoted last week. :wink:

PS The dimwit Bazil is on ignore, he would give an asprin a headache. 

PPS October had a total of 4,428, an average of 142.

To reach, lets use the lowest of the ludicrous numbers quoted last week, of 80,000 that would need 441 EVERY day between now and then.

I said last week and I'll reiterate, snowballs in hell chance.

This is before the other numbers of 100,000 and 120,000. :lol:

Edited by faraway saint

I think it's a mistake that the government are suggesting that if any of the other home countries don't have lockdown at the same time as England they won't get the same furlough funding.

The other nations, rightly or wrongly, are making decision they feel are right for their country, they shouldn't be blackmailed into following England or having to carry the financial burden alone if they don't.

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I think it's a mistake that the government are suggesting that if any of the other home countries don't have lockdown at the same time as England they won't get the same furlough funding.

The other nations, rightly or wrongly, are making decision they feel are right for their country, they shouldn't be blackmailed into following England or having to carry the financial burden alone if they don't.

Bojo has said twice tonight (maybe more now) that furlough is a UK wide scheme and will continue to be available wherever it is needed. 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Yeah, this is pretty stupid from the Westminster government.

When Wales asked for it, they said no but all of a sudden when England needed it, it was given.

That's how it will be perceived.

It's as though they want Scottish independence to become a formality.

Either that or they have absolutely zero feel for strategy.

ETA. Just read on the BBC that Johson has now said it will be available as and when lockdowns happen elsewhere in the UK but it's not clear on what timescales he's talking about for introducing the lockdown, what scale of support will be made available and what happens if we have a 3 month lockdown. He just can't be trusted on anything.

Edited by oaksoft

Just seen a small local business, shit scared Scotland goes into a lockdown just when it's their busiest time of the year, leading up to Christmas.

They are trying to show all their items, mainly cards etc, online to allow people to choose and they will deliver.

IF Scotland is thinking about it, and I don't believe it's necessary, they better hurry up, business's are on the edge as it is. 

5 hours ago, Russian Saint said:

It' in part because deaths are referred to a coroner and they do not need to come to a conclusion within the two weeks normally given for filling in the death certificate. 

It' in part because deaths are referred to a coroner and they do not need to come to a conclusion within the two weeks normally given for filling in the death certificate. 

Not 100% sure if you’re referring to the suicide rate per year and the fact that they come in June. So if the suicide rate is measured from January to December, I’d have thought they’d have a running tally. So I don’t understand why the figures are not published until 6 months later.
For sudden deaths (including suicides) the Post Mortem is usually conducted within a couple of days (pre Covid)

11 hours ago, theknickerwetter said:

As l already said , you lean heavily on the lame stream media probably due to laziness, lack of English comprehension or because it tickles your commy fantasies.

So , the looney left in Britain , a country of around around 66 million souls , has a following of 126,879 . Nice .

Of course , you don't believe anything l type , dawling and you do know l take that as a compliment coming from a mind like your..........................................

Nice emoticons , they speak volumes

Can you blame me after your Tucker Carlsen episode - I've never posted anything so clearly wrong, a pre-election smear that fell apart before the polls closed...:hammer

Like I've said previously how can I be a commie and, as you accuse me elsewhere, a Bill Gates acolyte it just doesn't make sense, all you've got is a list of Alt-Right catchphrases that you regurgitate in random order - you don't have an original thought in your head. :1eye

126,879 who pay per day versus 506 max (and that includes people like me who easily spot it for the nonsense it is) - as our American friends say do the math! :nerdy

Edited by Bud the Baker

44 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Can you blame me after your Tucker Carlsen episode - I've never posted anything so clearly wrong, a pre-election smear that fell apart before the polls closed...:hammer

Like I've said previously how can I be a commie and, as you accuse me elsewhere, a Bill Gates acolyte it just doesn't make sense, all you've got is a list of Alt-Right catchphrases that you regurgitate in random order - you don't have an original thought in your head. :1eye

126,879 who pay per day versus 506 max (and that includes people like me who easily spot it for the nonsense it is) - as our American friends say do the math! :nerdy

The thing that is so frightening is how the alt right are infiltrating the internet and catching the gullible or vulnerable in our society. All this talk about conspiracy is only a few short steps from who is really behind the scenes causing all the problems......and we know how that turns out.