Coronavirus

faraway saint

Jason Leitch says something along the lines of "just because you can doesn't mean you should" on the Christmas visit guideline. 
FFS. 
I know what he means tho' and I for one will be continuing to limit unnecessary contacts over the festive period, might not be everyone's choice but will be mine.

Just now, StanleySaint said:
9 hours ago, faraway saint said:
Jason Leitch says something along the lines of "just because you can doesn't mean you should" on the Christmas visit guideline. 
FFS. 

I know what he means tho' and I for one will be continuing to limit unnecessary contacts over the festive period, might not be everyone's choice but will be mine.

Oh, so do I and my Christmas is going to be considerably different from any other Christmas................................

but it's another, in a long line, of mixed messages. 

1 hour ago, smcc said:

Did you have any difficulty making up your mind?

Ashampoo_Snap_05 December 2020 US Covid cases.jpg

Ashampoo_Snap_05 December 2020_US Covid deaths.jpg

I did TBH.

The risk of catching the virus is very small as is the potentially serious affects, but I've played the game throughout so won't be defying any guidelines.

We're only having my daughter and granddaughter as my wife had the granddaughter 2/3 days a week after school. 

Merry Christmas. 🎅

My apologies for not posting a link to Friday's Indie Sage open meeting.

Just catching up with it myself.

The first 20 minutes or so offer clear data (including Scotland) and interpretations.

indie_SAGE 04.12.20 - YouTube

What follows are questions from the public and other experts for discussion.  

IMHO, this is excellent, and the most trustworthy source, that I've so far found on this pandemic.

So, after the lockdowns across the U.K. we find that cases are up in Wales and London, down in Scotland and down in the rest of England.

Where cases are down, authorities are claiming it’s down to the success of the restrictions.

Where cases are up, it’s claimed that more restrictions are needed.

Its a pity that they can’t just take a step back and realise that, if there is no correlation between restrictions and cases that maybe they need to rethink?

Its ironic that the counter to the Great Barrington Declaration was named after John Snow, a scientist who went against the accepted orthodoxy of the day and went looking for the real reasons behind the source of cholera. 

Edgar Hope-Simpson explained the current situation. decades ago 

Edited by Sue Denim

Angus, not before time, moves into Level 2. 

This is yet another hilarious instruction....................shopping, fecking shopping is now essential enough you can travel in/out of different levels. :lol:

There are exemptions for people who need to travel into, or out of, these areas for essential work, education, shopping or health reasons.

Both graphs from the ONS weekly covid infection survey

First graph was partly the reason the U.K. government imposed its latest futile lockdown

Second graph is the latest graph with previous data revised.

Ooos, turns out the numbers the government based the lockdown were way too high and infections were actually flat during October and declining before the lockdown began 

76EB87ED-9EFB-4175-9012-1B6D7BAB1787.jpeg

E27C0A45-ED35-4703-88C4-E5BDF96ACA85.jpeg

1 minute ago, Sue Denim said:

First graph was partly the reason the U.K. government imposed its latest futile lockdown

Ooos, turns out the numbers the government based the lockdown were way too high and infections were actually flat during October and declining before the lockdown began 

Which I pointed out at he time.

There was no need to impose further restrictions. 

...and so the cherrypicking continues, gotta love those gammonistas 

From the ONS

A spokesperson from the ONS said: "Our official estimates of infections are the best estimates based on the data over the past eight weeks at date of publication.

“We publish the full back-series of modelled estimates for transparency and these should not be considered ‘revised official estimates’.

From the DoH

A spokesperson for the Department of Health said: “We introduced national restrictions to save lives, protect the NHS and the vulnerable, and drive down transmission of the virus.

"It is categorically untrue to suggest the pandemic was shrinking prior to 31 October. 

“The decision to introduce national measures was based on an expert assessment of a range of factors including positive cases, rates in over 60 year old’s, hospital admissions and deaths – and these indicators were all clearly on an upwards trajectory as of late October with R above 1.

"It is not accurate to suggest we based a national policy on one study.”

but seeing as how the @Sue Denim & @faraway saint are now "endorsing" the ONS perhaps they'll agree with their estimate of how many people have actually died from Covid in the UK.

As of 30 November total of 71,719 deaths have so far been registered in the UK where Covid-19 was mentioned on the death certificate, including 65,006 deaths in England and Wales up to November 20 (and registered up to November 28), which were confirmed by the ONS on Tuesday.

Since these statistics were compiled, a further 2,525 deaths are known to have occurred in England, plus 89 in Scotland, 132 in Wales and 64 in Northern Ireland, according to additional data published on the Government’s coronavirus dashboard.

Together, these totals mean that so far, 74,529 deaths involving Covid-19 have taken place in the UK.

The Government’s preferred measure of the official death toll, which counts only those people who died within 28 days of testing positive for Covid-19, currently stands at 58,448.

As I've asked previously what reason does the ONS have for issuing misleading figures compared to the government?

54 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I see the political numbskulls in Scotland and Wales are trying to make an issue of the flying visit by William & Kate.

I prefer to listen to the people who they visited, seemed they were grateful for the visit and the morale boost it provided when people are feeling a bid down. 

You're a day late on this on Scotland anyway, the visit had already attracted criticism from people working with the pandemic. NS was trying to play the issue down, but it got stoked up by the media & Tory politicians who clearly don't have an axe to grind - it's clear to me who the "political numbskulls" are...:whistle

Edinburgh University Professor Devi Sridhar, who advises the Scottish Government on Covid, tweeted in response to news coverage of the trip: “Some things I will never understand about Britain. Aren’t we all in a pandemic & living under travel restrictions?”

Dr Katrian Farrell, a haemotologist at NHS Forth Valley, tweeted: “I absolutely do not understand why the #RoyalTrainTour is being allowed in Edinburgh. Edinburgh is in tier 3. No non essential travel into or out of region. 

At the daily briefing, the First Minister was asked for clarity on whether the trip had been in breach of the cross-border ban.

She said: “The Royal visit is a matter for the Royal household and the arrangements around it, and any questions about those arrangements, should be directed to the Royal household.

“The Scottish Government was advised about the intention to visit, and we made sure that the Royal Household were aware, as you would expect, of the restrictions in place in Scotland so that could inform both the decision and the planning of the visit.

“Any more questions on that should be directed to the Royal household.”

Tory MSP Murdo Fraser said:  “It seems very petty to be criticising the Royal Family for wanting to thank Scottish NHS staff for their heroic efforts.  

“Given that the First Minister had earlier visited NHS staff, presumably after travelling from her home to work too, it seems a bit odd that she didn’t back this trip and make it clear that it was within the rules.

“Rather than thanking William and Kate for the work they are doing to raise morale at these difficult times, the First Minister seems to be afraid of angering the republicans in her party, so she pandered to them instead.”

A Royal source said: "Travelling across the border is permitted for work purposes.

Personally I happy she said what she said rather than throw her officials under a bus.

PS - NSs view seems to be shared by Downing St - a political numbskull, indeed! :lol:

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's decision to tour the UK despite coronavirus restrictions was further questioned on Tuesday when Downing Street repeatedly refused to endorse the trip.

The Prime Minister's official spokesman was asked five times whether he believed the three-day rail journey was necessary or Covid-compliant.

Each time, he simply replied that it was "a matter for the palace," elaborating only to highlight the current guidelines by which the public had been asked to abide.

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

...and so the cherrypicking continues, gotta love those gammonistas 

From the ONS

From the DoH

but seeing as how the @Sue Denim & @faraway saint are now "endorsing" the ONS perhaps they'll agree with their estimate of how many people have actually died from Covid in the UK.

As I've asked previously what reason does the ONS have for issuing misleading figures compared to the government?

As you are the king of selective quotes I'll just ignore everything you say, thanks. :byebye

You're getting as bad as Oaky, making stuff up..............................where, exactly, and I asked you similar before and you were made to look a fool then, did I say I was endorsing the ONS? :1eye

Re the royal visit, i think "its a matter for the palace" is now the standard government advice regarding that bunch of oddballs, whether its breaching Covid travel regulations, Prince Andrew being a nonce, or anything in between.

Edited by Hendo

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

You're a day late on this on Scotland anyway, the visit had already attracted criticism from people working with the pandemic. NS was trying to play the issue down, but it got stoked up by the media & Tory politicians who clearly don't have an axe to grind - it's clear to me who the "political numbskulls" are...:whistle

Personally I happy she said what she said rather than throw her officials under a bus.

PS - NSs view seems to be shared by Downing St - a political numbskull, indeed! :lol:

Wee Nicky, no thought or understanding what he visit meant to the PEOPLE they visited................

She was also asked whether the trip would help boost morale, but made no reference to this question in her response.

31 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Re the royal visit, i think "its a matter for the palace" is now the standard government advice regarding that bunch of oddballs, whether its breaching Covid travel regulations, Prince Andrew being a nonce, or anything in between.

Who breached traveling restrictions? :blink:

51 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Wee Nicky, no thought or understanding what he visit meant to the PEOPLE they visited................

She was also asked whether the trip would help boost morale, but made no reference to this question in her response.

Who breached traveling restrictions? :blink:

Oh aye, i forgot they were using "its essential because it was work" excuse. I thought the default position was to work from home if you can? Could they not have done their patronizing via zoom?

3 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Oh aye, i forgot they were using "its essential because it was work" excuse. I thought the default position was to work from home if you can? Could they not have done their patronizing via zoom?

Away and don't talk shite. :lol:

Plenty of people they met were quite happy.

If you don't like the royal family, fair enough, but don't embarrass yourself by posting utter guff. :byebye

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

As you are the king of selective quotes I'll just ignore everything you say, thanks. :byebye

You're getting as bad as Oaky, making stuff up..............................where, exactly, and I asked you similar before and you were made to look a fool then, did I say I was endorsing the ONS? :1eye

Down below...

4 hours ago, Sue Denim said:

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Which I pointed out at the time.

There was no need to impose further restrictions. 

Although it wouldn't surprise me if you didn't understand what you were saying - thick or wrong, take your pick. :1eye