Coronavirus

faraway saint

The R rate in Scotland is currently between 0.7 - 0.9, the lowest it’s been since July going by reports and the death rate in Scotland is at just over 4200, but yet talk of more severe restrictions [emoji848]
That’s like the equivalent of a Saints home game attendance in terms deaths, in just under 10 months against a population of 5.6 million.

I remember the good old days when fitba was played on Christmas Day in 1977.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1976&GameID=197612250

Can't believe no-one's picked up on this...

[emoji846]

Interesting that someone reckoned that Christmas started 'taking over' from New Year in the mid 70s - Boxing Day became a PH in Scotland in 1974.

Latest ONS stats

As of last week, there have been 2,687 more covid deaths than excess deaths in England and Wales in 2020.

So, despite health services being severely restricted this year, there have less people dying this year for non covid reasons.

Either the covid deaths are being inflated or we can make do with a drastically scaled back NHS.

Which is it?

Edited by Sue Denim

If anyone still wonders why the government needs to inflate covid figures 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/12/17/world/europe/britain-covid-contracts.html

You’re being willingly used by the Tories @Bud the Baker  @bazil85  they rely on people like you to get away with this 

The rich are eating *you*

LONDON — When the pandemic exploded in March, British officials embarked on a desperate scramble to procure the personal protective equipment, ventilators, coronavirus tests and other supplies critical to containing the surge. In the months following those fevered days, the government handed out thousands of contracts to fight the virus, some of them in a secretive “V.I.P. lane” to a select few companies with connections to the governing Conservative Party.

To shine a light on one of the greatest spending sprees in Britain’s postwar era, The New York Times analyzed a large segment of it, the roughly 1,200 central government contracts that have been made public, together worth nearly $22 billion. Of that, about $11 billion went to companies either run by friends and associates of politicians in the Conservative Party, or with no prior experience or a history of controversy. Meanwhile, smaller firms without political clout got nowhere.

“The government had license to act fast because it was a pandemic, but we didn’t give them permission to act fast and loose with public money,” said Meg Hillier, a lawmaker with the opposition Labour Party and chair of the powerful Public Accounts Committee. “We’re talking billions of pounds, and it’s quite right that we ask questions about how that money was spent.”

The procurement system was cobbled together during a meeting of anxious bureaucrats in late March, and a wealthy former investment banker and Conservative Party grandee, Paul Deighton, who sits in the House of Lords, was later tapped to act as the government’s czar for personal protective equipment.

Eight months on, Lord Deighton has helped the government award billions of dollars in contracts –– including hundreds of millions to several companies where he has financial interests or personal connections.

@Sue Denim 

You had to read the NY Times to learn about the corruption in the awarding government contracts during the pandemic. :wacko:

Yup it's a disgrace but it's hardly news, I've made similar posts on a number of occasions over the last few months.

The rich are the enemy and will fight to keep their ill-gotten gains.

Late and no doubt insincere contribution coming from a lickspittle forelock tugging devotee of the oligarchy like yourself....

1 hour ago, Sue Denim said:

If anyone still wonders why the government needs to inflate covid figures 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/12/17/world/europe/britain-covid-contracts.html

You’re being willingly used by the Tories @Bud the Baker  @bazil85  they rely on people like you to get away with this 

The rich are eating *you*

LONDON — When the pandemic exploded in March, British officials embarked on a desperate scramble to procure the personal protective equipment, ventilators, coronavirus tests and other supplies critical to containing the surge. In the months following those fevered days, the government handed out thousands of contracts to fight the virus, some of them in a secretive “V.I.P. lane” to a select few companies with connections to the governing Conservative Party.

To shine a light on one of the greatest spending sprees in Britain’s postwar era, The New York Times analyzed a large segment of it, the roughly 1,200 central government contracts that have been made public, together worth nearly $22 billion. Of that, about $11 billion went to companies either run by friends and associates of politicians in the Conservative Party, or with no prior experience or a history of controversy. Meanwhile, smaller firms without political clout got nowhere.

“The government had license to act fast because it was a pandemic, but we didn’t give them permission to act fast and loose with public money,” said Meg Hillier, a lawmaker with the opposition Labour Party and chair of the powerful Public Accounts Committee. “We’re talking billions of pounds, and it’s quite right that we ask questions about how that money was spent.”

The procurement system was cobbled together during a meeting of anxious bureaucrats in late March, and a wealthy former investment banker and Conservative Party grandee, Paul Deighton, who sits in the House of Lords, was later tapped to act as the government’s czar for personal protective equipment.

Eight months on, Lord Deighton has helped the government award billions of dollars in contracts –– including hundreds of millions to several companies where he has financial interests or personal connections.

The government are not inflating Covid figures, deaths within 28 days of a positive test will seemingly point to the majority of people included, dying linked to Covid. This is further backed by the excess death figures (which seem to suggest we are actually under reporting, their is a caveat when figures are issued that they aren't necessarily a full representation).

If these weren't covid linked, why didn't they continue to go up when covid cases went way down in the summer? That defies logic, if the excessive deaths were due to a lockdown & hold up in essential services as you have claimed, surely the correlation would continue even in times when Covid was controlled in this country? 

As for the rest of your post, it isn't relevant to your first claim. My paragraph shows that there is clear evidence figures aren't being inflated & that can be correlated against data from multiple countries globally. 

If you want my view on the rest of your post... Have the Tory government wasted a fortune, have they shamefully given out contracts to their pals and collectively poorly managed the pandemic, yes they have. 

43 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

As for the rest of your post, it isn't relevant to your first claim. 

If you want my view on the rest of your post... Have the Tory government wasted a fortune, have they shamefully given out contracts to their pals and collectively poorly managed the pandemic, yes they have. 

The article to which he is directing your post IS the most significant and undeniable bit of information.

I'm glad you recognise that.

That article by the NYT is devastating with lovely graphs (cf @oaksoft)  clearly demonstrating the pillaging of our money that has been implemented by this corrupt and mercenary bunch of crooks.

In case anyone scrolled past:

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

@Sue Denim 

You had to read the NY Times to learn about the corruption in the awarding government contracts during the pandemic. :wacko:

Yup it's a disgrace but it's hardly news, I've made similar posts on a number of occasions over the last few months.

The rich are the enemy and will fight to keep their ill-gotten gains.

Late and no doubt insincere contribution coming from a lickspittle forelock tugging devotee of the oligarchy like yourself....

To be fair, as I mention above...

...the NYT article is a beautifully clear and undeniable bit of work.

13 minutes ago, antrin said:

To be fair, as I mention above...

...the NYT article is a beautifully clear and undeniable bit of work.

Erm, perhaps the sorta article that UK papers should be making - I exclude The Grauniad.

The Governmant's excuse "Erm, we had to act quickly." is pretty weak.

Edited by Bud the Baker

32 minutes ago, antrin said:

The article to which he is directing your post IS the most significant and undeniable bit of information.

I'm glad you recognise that.

That article by the NYT is devastating with lovely graphs (cf @oaksoft)  clearly demonstrating the pillaging of our money that has been implemented by this corrupt and mercenary bunch of crooks.

In case anyone scrolled past:

I think we are all in agreement of the shameful acts of the Tory's and mismanagement regarding PPE contracts and other aspects of this pandemic. The article is very good on that point. 

I was only pointing out Andy trying to correlate that to apparent overinflating deaths is baseless. I see little to no evidence that deaths by Covid are being inflated (while recognising the limitations in any reasonable reporting methods). I think evidence points to the opposite, not sure if you agree or not. 

15 hours ago, Russian Saint said:

The R rate in Scotland is currently between 0.7 - 0.9, the lowest it’s been since July going by reports and the death rate in Scotland is at just over 4200, but yet talk of more severe restrictions emoji848.png
That’s like the equivalent of a Saints home game attendance in terms deaths, in just under 10 months against a population of 5.6 million.

These types of figures were posted many times in the early days of this mess to show some perspective.

Back then the human cost was the main discussion point. 

Unfortunately they get lost now in the ever increasing political shite and scaremongering. 

The fact is the risk is still very very low and even lower is the chance anyone will be seriously ill or die.