Coronavirus

faraway saint

1 hour ago, antrin said:

Our GPs annually do 1m flu jabs a week. That's rather ordinary.

So, in the midst of a pandemic, with a wee bit of urgency,  you'd think that a competent government could perhaps ramp testing and jabbing up a wee bit more?  I do.

Our local assembly rooms and a car park have been commandeered for tests of those who want them, at last.

You're right, though about "later than we should have".

Has it passed you by that he vaccine has rather special storage requirements?

Jeezo, for somebody who thinks he's so smart you are a buffoon. 

3 hours ago, lenziebud said:

So why in Asia where they have been hugely successful in controlling COVID do all the folks still wear masks and have been from the beginning.

Strikes me that you are making comments about a subject that you just don't have a clue about

Oh, I am going to bow out now that the forum's epidemiology expert has weighed in. I can't compete with your glittering credentials. If you listen carefully, you'll hear the combined sigh of relief from all the posters on here. Now that you are here, please can you take some time to clean up this entire thread and put us all right.

At last, the voice of reason and truth has arrived!

Hail the mighty oracle!

Praise him!

1 hour ago, Sue Denim said:

18% of hospital beds in Wales are empty as of today 

This number of empty beds at this time of year is unprecedented 

https://statswales.gov.wales/Catalogue/Health-and-Social-Care/NHS-Hospital-Activity/nhs-activity-and-capacity-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic/nhsbed-by-date-use

Very selective, as usual. It seems to have escaped your notice that your link also shows that there has been a 40% increase in the number of acute beds occupied by Covid-19 cases from 20 November and 20 December. During the same period the number of acute beds occupied by non-Covid cases dropped by 10%.

Your dismissal of US figures because they don't suit you is absolutely typical. https://www.statista.com/chart/23746/icu-bed-occupancy-rates-in-us-hospital-areas/

"According to the dataset, ICU bed capacity is already at or above 100 percent in 113 hospital service areas with the highest occupancy rate seen in Cullman, Alabama, at 131 percent. It also looked at how things are developing in areas with a high population, an ominous trend which is illustrated on this map. There are zero ICU beds available in Albuquerque, for example, which has an occupancy rate of 116 percent. In Baton Rouge, that figure is 106 percent while it stands at 107 percent in Ogden, Utah. The New York Times described the situation in El Paso as marginally better with 13 free ICU beds out of 400 in total, which still makes for an occupancy rate of 95 percent.

More than a third of Americans now live in areas that are running critically short of free ICU beds and that hospitals serving 100 million people reported fewer than 15 available intensive care beds at theend of last week. The situation is worse in some places, however, particularly acrossa swathe of Midwest, South and Southwest. One in 10 people in those areas live in an area where ICU beds are completely full or 95 percent full. The disturbing hospital-level data comes as the U.S. registered more than 3,00 deaths in 24 hours for the first time. With an FDA panel meeting to consider approving Pfizer's vaccine, there is some badly needed hope on the horizon.

2 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Really ? I'd never have guessed. 

The real problem I have is its the likes of you who get away with it and some poor soul who is tried to do everything correctly gets COVID and dies a horrible death.

Or alternatively a moron like you is asymptomatic and passes it on to many.

No end of drama queenery on this thread. 

5 minutes ago, Yflab said:

We are fcuked at the moment if we want to get supplies in by land or air. Nae cnut is speaking to us. Even our old stomping grounds around the world that we used to “own” are telling the UK to Foxtrot Oscar.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54889084

Short term, let's not panic, there's plenty of stuff, including toilet rolls, to get us through Christmas.

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Wow. They have a better life than a man who has just retired at the age of 50 ?

Fair play to them.

You actually see retiring at 50 as a great life?

Your life consists of a very small family circle, nothing outside that.

You can't cope with social situations, your life revolves around the internet.

Measuring "life" as you do just confirms your sad existence.

Enjoy yourself. :lol:

Edited by faraway saint

1 hour ago, Yflab said:

You can read The Lancet https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext

The right protection and social distancing help reduce the risk, but are not totally effective against this virus. In other words suck it up buttercup and wear a mask. Preferably not your gimp one.

Just out of interest. Since you have a doctorate and are so clever. Just answer these questions.

If you were supporting patients in a COVID-19 ICU ward would you not bother wearing a mask and other PPE?

Do you have a ST for Saints that we could use if you keel over and die?

The Lancet is a left wing propaganda mouthpiece edited by a communist who has used the pandemic as an opportunity to make money by publishing a book on the subject. As I said in one of my other posts - the pandemic has been driven by a convergence of vested interests. 

The Lancet is the publication that published the paper linking autism to the MMR vaccination and then took 12 years to retract.

The Lancet published an article in the summer which raised questions about the safety of hydroxychloroquine and then had to retract because the authors had falsified their data. 

I wouldn’t believe anything in the Lancet.

1 hour ago, smcc said:

Very selective, as usual. It seems to have escaped your notice that your link also shows that there has been a 40% increase in the number of acute beds occupied by Covid-19 cases from 20 November and 20 December. During the same period the number of acute beds occupied by non-Covid cases dropped by 10%.

Covid admissions up, admissions of other causes apparently down.

Exactly, you make my point for me

1 hour ago, smcc said:

Your dismissal of US figures because they don't suit you is absolutely typical. https://www.statista.com/chart/23746/icu-bed-occupancy-rates-in-us-hospital-areas/

"According to the dataset, ICU bed capacity is already at or above 100 percent in 113 hospital service areas with the highest occupancy rate seen in Cullman, Alabama, at 131 percent. It also looked at how things are developing in areas with a high population, an ominous trend which is illustrated on this map. There are zero ICU beds available in Albuquerque, for example, which has an occupancy rate of 116 percent. In Baton Rouge, that figure is 106 percent while it stands at 107 percent in Ogden, Utah. The New York Times described the situation in El Paso as marginally better with 13 free ICU beds out of 400 in total, which still makes for an occupancy rate of 95 percent.

More than a third of Americans now live in areas that are running critically short of free ICU beds and that hospitals serving 100 million people reported fewer than 15 available intensive care beds at theend of last week. The situation is worse in some places, however, particularly acrossa swathe of Midwest, South and Southwest. One in 10 people in those areas live in an area where ICU beds are completely full or 95 percent full. The disturbing hospital-level data comes as the U.S. registered more than 3,00 deaths in 24 hours for the first time. With an FDA panel meeting to consider approving Pfizer's vaccine, there is some badly needed hope on the horizon.

And how does any of this compare with last year or any previous year?

Without that context, your entire post is irrelevant 

I do note, however that you have ignored the fact that excess deaths in the US are not matching covid deaths. Are you able to explain that yet?

61A6BEBB-0713-4073-86EE-C2C705332A24.jpeg

34EA11CC-56AF-4502-91C8-DA8C1BA91DE5.jpeg

4 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Really ? I'd never have guessed. 

The real problem I have is its the likes of you who get away with it and some poor soul who is tried to do everything correctly gets COVID and dies a horrible death.

Or alternatively a moron like you is asymptomatic and passes it on to many.

I’m no more likely to pass on covid and kill someone than any other virus. 

If you feel that passionate about it, I’m assuming you’ll be social distancing, wearing a mask and not entering someone else’s house ever again?

4 hours ago, antrin said:

Well, as on 4th Dec C Pagell was talking about 4th Dec data, and you're still doing so3 weeks later, -when Indie Sage has offered data up to but not including last week, (not about the deaths - but the hospitalisations which can be the covid precursors to death) - perhaps you shouldn't be so easily dismissive?  

The “hospitalisations” are an artefact of testing, just like cases and deaths.

So, yes, I will dismiss indie SAGE - a group of scientists with a political agenda and many funded by big Pharma.

Excess deaths are the gold standard, albeit, those figures are clouded by collateral deaths.

But excess deaths are not matching the surge on covid deaths.

3 hours ago, bazil85 said:

A wee bit of logical thinking would have allowed most to arrive at what she meant. Do you disagree now I have explained it to you?

That's incorrect, your views throughout this pandemic have been shown time and time again to be wrong, your last stronghold in Sweden has now been shown to have had a completely wrong approach for anyone that values human life. Everything else being equally we are still seeing massive excessive deaths for the year correlating to spikes in Covid, that puts it beyond reasonable doubt that the pandemic is NOT over and that we must mitigate against the spread of this virus to help save lives. Your shameful, far right view of getting on with it so you can go to the pub and don't miss another holiday is horrific. Human life should always come first when we can mitigate against it. 

Your last point can now be observed to be incorrect, we can track the positive benefit increased restriction have on limiting the spread of this virus and as such saving lives, the massive number of excessive deaths would have to be purely coincidental for your view to stand up, this is also beyond reasonable doubt to be wrong.

Much like FS and the death tolls, you've been proven wrong and a bigger person would put their hands up to that. 

Yes, I disagree with what you say now that you inaccurately explained it to me. 

With regards to the rest of your post, I’ve been proven right time and time again and have produced loads and loads of facts and figures to back up every point I make.

Your reply however, like every post you make, lacks any facts and figures to back up your points.

3 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
5 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
Another Bozo and the clown troop address at 5.00. Is this the London backlash forcing the weak one into a UK wide blanket ban on all Christmas day mixing, wouldn't surprise me !

f**k me a press conference just to tell us food supplies are not a problem and if you can't get lettuce, broccoli or tomatoes just have good old British "alternatives" like Turnips, Beetroot or Cabbage !

^^^^ I wonder if this village idiot will be down at the supermarket jumping the queue reserved for NHS staff again if there is a food shortage? 

3 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Can I also clarify, do you accept as of yesterday 29% of Welsh hospital patients (general and acute) contained covid19 patience so your points that "the pandemic is over" is wrong? 

Nearly a third of all people in Welsh hospitals have the virus, you must accept it is beyond doubt this isn't over by any parameter? 

No, I don’t accept any of that. It’s all mainly an artefact of testing. I’ve explained this countless times.

Excess deaths is the real measure and excess deaths do not support covid deaths.