Coronavirus

faraway saint

Bristol University’s risk experts say that the lockdowns of 2020 will cost 560,000 lives in the UK “because of the deep and prolonged recession they will cause”. The Government’s own prediction last summer was that more than 200,000 will die as a result of the first lockdown alone (ONS July 2020). It has refused to provide an update showing the additional impact of the tiers and lockdowns since.

@bazil85

When the age and size of the population is taken into account, despite Covid, the death rate in 2020 is below average for the last 20 years. 

This measure – known as age-standardised mortality – takes into account population growth and age.

On one hand, excess deaths are at their highest since World War Two, but once age and size of population are taken into account, 2020 death rates are similar to those in the last 10 years.  

Raw death rates, with 697,000 deaths in 2020 seem alarming but our population is larger and older on average and death rates continue to be much less than they were only a decade or so ago. 

Death rates fluctuate significantly from year to year. With 2019 having an unusually low rate, a significant increase in 2020 was expected. The ONS figures help put the Covid death toll over the past 12 months in a wider context.

What is clear is that 2020 was not a year in which the death rate was exceptionally large and that public panic over Covid has been misplaced. 

1C7B7E16-1763-46E1-9379-6BA070556EE9.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

The British Heart Foundation says:

There have been almost 800 excess deaths in those dying below the age of 65 from heart and circulatory diseases since the Covid-19 pandemic began, our new analysis has revealed

https://www.bhf.org.uk/what-we-do/news-from-the-bhf/news-archive/2020/october/rise-in-excess-heart-and-circulatory-disease-deaths-in-under-65s

@bazil85

Very sad but it has been very well documented (and only takes a shred of common sense) that there is no "everybody wins" scenario, excess death in the UK since the pandemic is speeding towards 100,000 and all available evidence points to the vast majority being Covid linked. This is the expert view, it ties to Covid stats and you haven't provided anything that suggests you have a scientific basis to challenge this. Pointing out that we can't protect everybody in mid-January is a bit silly. 

55 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

Cancer Research UK sayscancer screening was cancelled for three million people and there has been a 39% drop in the seven key diagnostic tests for cancer between March and July – equivalent to 3.2m fewer tests in England alone.

https://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2020/09/11/whats-happened-to-cancer-services-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/

@bazil85

Again very sad knock on effect, the guidance throughout has been to seek medical advice for cancer symptoms but as before, there is no "everybody wins" scenario. Will there be a knock on impact? Yes. Will it be greater than the covid pandemic impact? Not likely and you also haven't factored in political factors like massive underfunding of the NHS for decades, you continue to make a false connection that these issues are de to lockdown, mostly they are due to a lack of spending & focus on health. 

50 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

Bristol University’s risk experts say that the lockdowns of 2020 will cost 560,000 lives in the UK “because of the deep and prolonged recession they will cause”. The Government’s own prediction last summer was that more than 200,000 will die as a result of the first lockdown alone (ONS July 2020). It has refused to provide an update showing the additional impact of the tiers and lockdowns since.

@bazil85

This equivalent relates largely to impacts of a recession due to economic impacts of a lockdown, again that's a political call NOT LOCKDOWN itself. There are plenty of resources globally to support the worlds population if properly utilised. Political choice to impact quality of life through recessions and austerity are not an acceptable reason to not protect the vulnerable during a pandemic now.

I know you don't care about human life beyond your own but for me People>Economy and I have made that very clear. 

A good effort but this is all old ground that has been very easily addressed many times before. Your far right views that we should financially protect the economy and prioritise spending to stimulate growth over healthcare and support at the expense of human life just because they might be elderly is not shared by me. 

Edited by bazil85

16 hours ago, Sue Denim said:

Bono has tested negative for covid after displaying symptoms. Afterwards, he commented "tonight thank God it's phlegm instead of flu"

I've been telling people this all day.

Nobody has laughed yet. Miserable bastards.

I'll keep you informed.

Maybe I should say the words instead of singing them?

Edited by oaksoft

18 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

New highs today (1,564) in the death recording stats. We now have 84,767 recorded deaths by the 28 day parameter. 

The vaccine gives some light at the end of the tunnel but does feel like the darkest days could still be in front of us :( 

Stop wallowing FFS.

It's all coming across as a bit fake.

22 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Stop wallowing FFS.

It's all coming across as a bit fake.

That's only because it's long been established that you are incapable of understanding how people can sincerely care about the hardship of others. that's why expressions like "virtue signalling" and claims like, if it impacted your job you'd think differently come from. 

Do yourself a favour and utilise your ignore function again because we know you don't have the capability to breeze by my perfectly reasonable posts without it. Very laughable claim that you don't let BAWA comments get to you. :whistle

So, wee Nicky has stopped takeaway meals and click and collect?

Jeezo, she, and the UK government, are making it harder and harder to take this seriously.

I seriously doubt the rise in numbers is anything more than miniscule coming from these sources.

As I said yesterday, tinkering for the sake of it to be seen to be "doing something", a trait that all governments have been guilty of since day one.

Possibly the death of these business's as the ludicrous idea of putting a table outside or something else when most of these business's already limit the number allowed in, well up here anyway. 

Shambles. 

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Jeezo, she, and the UK government, are making it harder and harder to take this seriously.

I seriously doubt the rise in numbers is anything more than miniscule coming from these sources.

As I said yesterday, tinkering for the sake of it to be seen to be "doing something", a trait that all governments have been guilty of since day one.

Possibly the death of these business's as the ludicrous idea of putting a table outside or something else when most of these business's already limit the number allowed in, well up here anyway. 

Shambles. 

I don’t think she has? You have to call it in then collect at door or through a hatch. They were doing this back in the first lockdown, at least the Chinese in Greenock road was. 

Just now, ALBIONSAINT said:

I don’t think she has? You have to call it in then collect at door or through a hatch. They were doing this back in the first lockdown, at least the Chinese in Greenock road was. 

You better tell wee Nicky..........................it's not banned, my error, but the new rules make it almost impossible to operate, as I just seen from a chip shop owner in Paisley. 

Covid restrictions around takeaway and click and collect services in Scotland are to tighten.

5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Shambles. 

It was starting to look better in summer but then came the eat out to help out came along and from September onwards it's just got gradually out of control. Every business has had to become more covid secure BUT it's not businesses that's the problem is it.

Whilst most will try as best to follow rules, some won't/don't and a £200 fine not anywhere near enough imo

22 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Shambles. 

Apparently, data from track and trace has indicated that a lot of infected individuals, when questioned, mentioned these places as being the probable/possible source of their infection.

No idea how much substance there is to these claims.

You can understand, to a certain extent, the takeaway thing, as a lot of the waiting areas in takeaway restaurants are miniscule and two or more people in it for any extended period of time might increase transmission, particularly with the new variant.

TBH most takeaways , I've had delivered. Probably take a bit longer now!

The Chinese restaurant down the road has a shoe box as it's takeaway and only lets one person in anyway, as did the Italian restaurant. 

Edited by FTOF

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

You better tell wee Nicky..........................it's not banned, my error, but the new rules make it almost impossible to operate, as I just seen from a chip shop owner in Paisley. 

Covid restrictions around takeaway and click and collect services in Scotland are to tighten.

Paolo,s dad. I don’t know why he doesn’t just serve from the door, other chippies are doing it. 

12 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Paolo

10 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Apparently, data from track and trace has indicated that a lot of infected individuals, when questioned, mentioned these places as being the probable/possible source of their infection.

No idea how much substance there is to these claims.

You can understand, to a certain extent, the takeaway thing, as a lot of the waiting areas in takeaway restaurants are miniscule and two or more people in it for any extended period of time might increase transmission, particularly with the new variant.

TBH most takeaways , I've had delivered. The Chinese restaurant down the road has a shoe box as it's takeaway and only lets one person in anyway, as did the Italian restaurant. 

Apparently only 30% of individuals who get a positive test share that information with the track and trace app. Most likely because they would need to stop work and only get statutory sick pay or they have responsibilities like looking after kids or pets and don’t want to self isolate for 14 days.

so when NS tells us to just assume everyone has the virus, she might just be right.

Edited by ALBIONSAINT

Apparently only 30% of individuals who get a positive test share that information with the track and trace app. Most likely because they would need to stop work and only get statutory sick pay or they have responsibilities like looking after kids or pets and don’t want to self isolate for 14 days.
so when NS tells us to just assume everyone has the virus, she might just be right.
But if you assume everyone has it then you should also assume that there is no need for any restrictions or masks.

24 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

I heard a professor of epidemiology quoting a figure of around 30% of infected people who either don't self-isolate at all or only comply for five days at the most. That can't be helpful.

However, he did say that compliance with other measures was at its highest ever, even though it's taken a while to get there. It's based on a social survey of 70,000 participants across the UK. 

COVID-19: Compliance with restrictions at highest point since first lockdown, new data reveals | UK News | Sky News

image.png.32ccbac6224c03617947476dc6b4043f.png

37 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Well, not to put to fine a point on it, IF she said that it's the biggest load of bollox she's ever said, and that takes some doing. 

10 minutes ago, Slarti said:
37 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

But if you assume everyone has it then you should also assume that there is no need for any restrictions or masks.

Indeed, kinda puts the current madness into some perspective. 

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Well, not to put to fine a point on it, IF she said that it's the biggest load of bollox she's ever said, and that takes some doing. 

Indeed, kinda puts the current madness into some perspective. 

Won't stop you berating folk for not following those mad rules though. 😃

People like you are described as "useful idiots" by people in power because you help deflect from where the criticism SHOULD be directed.

6 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I heard a professor of epidemiology quoting a figure of around 30% of infected people who either don't self-isolate at all or only comply for five days at the most. That can't be helpful.

However, he did say that compliance with other measures was at its highest ever, even though it's taken a while to get there. It's based on a social survey of 70,000 participants across the UK. 

COVID-19: Compliance with restrictions at highest point since first lockdown, new data reveals | UK News | Sky News

image.png.32ccbac6224c03617947476dc6b4043f.png

Interesting, but doesn't match up with the rise in cases, although, as was discussed on here some time ago, could that be down to the massive increase in testing since the early days?

I'm honestly all out now, there's been so many up's and down's, changes, absolute deluge of misinformation and people's interpretation of snippets have all but done my head in.

Juts get me a vaccine and get me out of this madness. 

Just now, oaksoft said:

Won't stop you berating folk for not following those mad rules though. 😃

People like you are described as "useful idiots" by people in power because you help deflect from where the criticism SHOULD be directed.

Yet AGAIN, you can't understand that an adult can disagree but see that, overall, twonks like you can be spreading it and responsible for these daft rules, or worse.

Let#s leave it at that, I've about had enough of wankers like you. 

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Yet AGAIN, you can't understand that an adult can disagree but see that, overall, twonks like you can be spreading it and responsible for these daft rules, or worse.

Let#s leave it at that, I've about had enough of wankers like you. 

A useful idiot.

A better phrase has yet to be invented to describe people like you. 🤣